2017 Import Draft

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Lists for the import selection are spotty at best in this day and age no matter which way anyone slices it. Even though the idea of bringing or trying to get the best European players to report to North America it's more a shot in the dark more times then a sure fact on elite players arriving over here in North America. Draft guides are more for the Priority Selection than the import draft where it's all who's GM knows and how badly the team wants to to invest in time to convince him to report to NA.

As a 120 pick draft more often then not if a team has an import spot open usually the 2 round selection is meaningless as the ruling shows that any given team can select 2 European born players.

Wouldn't be surprised if the league doesn't cut back it one round draft selection of scrap the whole thing and add a few more picks to the Priority Selection for that purpose of Euro based players

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Import draft is usually Tuesday or Wednesday after the NHL draft so Tuesday or Wednesday last week of June.. As far as import picks go its more of word of mouth type thing you don't scout imports like you do rookie draft so I'm not sure if they go based on agents word of mouth or talk to nhl scouts as far as what they think other that i Donno how they decide which import pick to take

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Import draft is usually Tuesday or Wednesday after the NHL draft so Tuesday or Wednesday last week of June.. As far as import picks go its more of word of mouth type thing you don't scout imports like you do rookie draft so I'm not sure if they go based on agents word of mouth or talk to nhl scouts as far as what they think other that i Donno how they decide which import pick to take

I'll echo what some have already said here. Agents basically run the import draft. In the past, I've had OHL teams contact me to see if I had heard any players who were willing to report so a lot of times it's tough for teams to even confirm players intentions. They're reaching out to a lot of people to gather tough-to-obtain info. Seems that most pick through the NHL drafted players and take a shot at some who have shown some level of interest in playing in the CHL

Always fun to uncover the unknown junior stars like Yakupov

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Agreed import draft is more of a gamble than the Priority Selection or even the U18 draft.
A lot more scattered reports then actual positive answers come from the import draft. Especially being only a two round selection managers connections are more valuable and needed then just picking the best available player when you pick although most players who are looking for a glimpse of what the pros is like the CHL is one of many options that can propell players games for the pros

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Agree, if an import comes to CHL and has visions of playing NHL it's definitely his best decision. Then the chance for some guys being drafted on the weekend before and the team that drafts them could think CHL is what they want. Last year Hronek was Detroit's 2nd Rder and went to Saginaw for example. So much can ride on the NHL Draft and luck.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
OHL is first this year in rotation. (Which ever league is hosting memorial cup) So...

1. Barrie
4. Guelph
7. NorthBay etc...

I believe this is the full list for the import draft (OHL, Q, WHL)
1 Barrie
2 Moncton
3 Kootenay
4 Guelph
5 Sherbrooke
6 Vancouver
7 North Bay
8 Rimouski
9 Prince Albert
10 Niagara
11 Halifax
12 Edmonton
13 Ottawa
14 Val-d'Or
15 Saskatoon
16 Sudbury
17 Baie-Comeau
18 Spokane
19 Saginaw
20 Drummondville
21 Calgary
22 Sarnia
23 Québec
24 Brandon
25 Flint
26 Gatineau
27 Red Deer
28 Hamilton
29 Victoriaville
30 Victoria
31 Kingston
32 Chicoutimi
33 Portland
34 Kitchener
35 Cape Breton
36 Tri-City
37 Mississauga
38 Acadie-Bathurst
39 Swift Current
40 Oshawa
41 Shawinigan
42 Kamloops
43 Peterborough
44 Blainville-Boisbriand
45 Moose Jaw
46 Windsor
47 Rouyn-Noranda
48 Lethbridge
49 London
50 Charlottetown
51 Kelowna
52 S.S. Marie
53 Saint John
54 Prince George
55 Owen Sound
56 Seattle
57 Erie
58 Everett
59 Medicine Hat
60 Regina

the dog

May 16, 2014
I believe this is the full list for the import draft (OHL, Q, WHL)
1 Barrie
2 Moncton
3 Kootenay
4 Guelph
5 Sherbrooke
6 Vancouver
7 North Bay
8 Rimouski
9 Prince Albert
10 Niagara
11 Halifax
12 Edmonton
13 Ottawa
14 Val-d'Or
15 Saskatoon
16 Sudbury
17 Baie-Comeau
18 Spokane
19 Saginaw
20 Drummondville
21 Calgary
22 Sarnia
23 Québec
24 Brandon
25 Flint
26 Gatineau
27 Red Deer
28 Hamilton
29 Victoriaville
30 Victoria
31 Kingston
32 Chicoutimi
33 Portland
34 Kitchener
35 Cape Breton
36 Tri-City
37 Mississauga
38 Acadie-Bathurst
39 Swift Current
40 Oshawa
41 Shawinigan
42 Kamloops
43 Peterborough
44 Blainville-Boisbriand
45 Moose Jaw
46 Windsor
47 Rouyn-Noranda
48 Lethbridge
49 London
50 Charlottetown
51 Kelowna
52 S.S. Marie
53 Saint John
54 Prince George
55 Owen Sound
56 Seattle
57 Erie
58 Everett
59 Medicine Hat
60 Regina
isn't Saginaw ahead of Niagara?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Svechnikov to Barrie take that to the bank :nod:
Being a Euro, Svechnikov isn't bound by the rules that keep him in Junior until his eligibility is exhausted, correct?

If Svechnikov is as good as billed (better than his brother, who already has a full AHL season and a few NHL games under his belt), isn't it more likely that whichever NHL team drafts him wants him in the AHL?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I wonder how a team gets a hold of Halifax's import draft list lol

They could sell it across Canada and have a bidding war for it haha... team always hits a massive homerun every season it seems like.

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Being a Euro, Svechnikov isn't bound by the rules that keep him in Junior until his eligibility is exhausted, correct?

If Svechnikov is as good as billed (better than his brother, who already has a full AHL season and a few NHL games under his belt), isn't it more likely that whichever NHL team drafts him wants him in the AHL?

He's not NHL draft eligible until 2018. Only way he could go straight to the AHL after being drafted by NHL team is if he stays in Muskegon next season.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
He's not NHL draft eligible until 2018. Only way he could go straight to the AHL after being drafted by NHL team is if he stays in Muskegon next season.
My bad....thought he was NHL draft eligible this year. Thanks.

EDIT-But couldn't this also be a reason that he wouldn't go CHL? If he does go CHL, then he's got to say in Junior for his 18 and 19yo years rather than be playing in the AHL (unless, of course, it's straight to the NHL for him).

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
isn't Saginaw ahead of Niagara?

Saginaw should be at #10 they missed the playoffs or is done by point total wich makes no sense? Then Niagara , Ottawa and Sudbury draft ahead of the Spirit. If that is the case they should have been in the playoffs .

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I wonder how a team gets a hold of Halifax's import draft list lol
They could sell it across Canada and have a bidding war for it haha... team always hits a massive homerun every season it seems like.

no kiddin but import draft picks land mostly where agents work out deals and/or nhl teams want their picks playing. Halifax is a desired location..kelowna london to name a couple others, thats why you see highend picks fall to them regularily. It also costs alot of money to certain federations to release these highend players where only certain teams have the cash to do this...lots of factors here play a part not just "our team picks 10th so we should get the 10th best player" doesnt work that way...same to a certain extent is the OHL priority selection draft.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
no kiddin but import draft picks land mostly where agents work out deals and/or nhl teams want their picks playing. Halifax is a desired location..kelowna london to name a couple others, thats why you see highend picks fall to them regularily. It also costs alot of money to certain federations to release these highend players where only certain teams have the cash to do this...lots of factors here play a part not just "our team picks 10th so we should get the 10th best player" doesnt work that way...same to a certain extent is the OHL priority selection draft.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that the CHL rules regarding the stipend do not apply to Import Players. Teams can pay those players more than the mandated stipend.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
My bad....thought he was NHL draft eligible this year. Thanks.

EDIT-But couldn't this also be a reason that he wouldn't go CHL? If he does go CHL, then he's got to say in Junior for his 18 and 19yo years rather than be playing in the AHL (unless, of course, it's straight to the NHL for him).

I doubt he is even thinking at all about the AHL/being AHL eligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad