Prospect Info: 2017 HF Devils Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #12

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
[table="head;width=3500]Rank|Player|POS|Draft Position|2016-17 Team(s)|Vote %|2016 Result|2015 Result
#1|Nico Hischier|C|2017 #1|Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)|---|Pavel Zacha|Pavel Zacha
#2|Michael McLeod|C|2016 #12|Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)|82.02%|Michael McLeod|Steven Santini
#3|Steve Santini|D|2013 #42|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|71.26%|Steven Santini|John Quenneville
#4|John Quenneville|LW/RW|2014 #30|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|68.18%|John Quenneville|Reid Boucher
#5|Blake Speers|C/RW|2015 #67|Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)|33.3%|Mackenzie Blackwood|Stefan Matteau
#6|Yegor Rykov|D|2016 #132|SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)|22%|Joseph Blandisi|MacKenzie Blackwood
#T-7|MacKenzie Blackwood|G|2015 #38|Albany Devils (AHL)|30.61%|Miles Wood|Blake Coleman
#T-7|Jesper Boqvist|C|2017 #36|Brynas IF (SHL)|30.61%|Josh Jacobs|Josh Jacobs
#9|Joey Anderson|RW|2016 #73|University of Minnesota-Duluth (NCHC)|50.63|Blake Speers|Blake Speers
#10|Miles Wood|LW|2013 #100|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|56.16%|Nathan Bastian|Joseph Blandisi
#11|Mirco Mueller|D|2013 #18|San Jose Barracuda (AHL)|41.56%|Nick Lappin|Raman Hrabrenka|

[/table]

Please remember to vote for who you want to add to the poll next. Most votes gets included in the next poll

[table="head;width=150]Eligible Prospects
Michael Kapla
Yaroslav Dyblenko
Ken Appleby
Colby Sissons
Aarne Talvitie
Jocktain Chainey
Yegor Zaitsev
Matthew Hellickson
Evan Cormier
Jeremy Davies
Brett Seney
Josh Jacobs
J.D. Dudek
Brandon Baddock
Ryan Kujawinski
[/table]

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
These comparisons to 2016 and 2015 are going to get pretty comical now, will show you how bad our prospect pool was.

Also, if someone is bored and wants to check over the info in the title, feel free. For most of the teams/divisions and draft year/pick, I've just been spitballing off the top of my head since I usually put this polls up very quickly.

TheDarkSideOfThePuck

Aug 27, 2009
Ottawa
These comparisons to 2016 and 2015 are going to get pretty comical now, will show you how bad our prospect pool was.

Also, if someone is bored and wants to check over the info in the title, feel free. For most of the teams/divisions and draft year/pick, I've just been spitballing off the top of my head since I usually put this polls up very quickly.

It's funny Wood dropped after a good rookie year

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I see Pops going hard this round.

Pops definitely has legit first round talent. He also has a ton of question marks with other aspects of his game. He needs a lot of work to put it together.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think this is about the right spot for Gignac. I'm pretty high on this guy. I think he is going to surprise people.

Honestly I'd have had him a bit earlier.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011

my thoughts exactly.

going from lappin and hrabarenko to micro mueller is :laugh::laugh:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The fact that Stefan Matteau was ever on the list, let alone at number 5, kinda makes me sick.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The fact that Stefan Matteau was ever drafted into the NHL in the first round of a draft is quite miraculous. Add in the fact that he was one of just a small number of 18 year old's to ever play on the NHL team in franchise history, then things get really weird. What a lousy pick that was, let Conte once again realize how much of a joke that pick was, while they're both reunited in the Golden Knights organization together.

I definitely agree with this post. I think Urbom came in #6 or #7 in 2013. Speers and Rykov must be insulted. They probably think the #5 and #6 spot is like sitting in the corner with a dunce cap on.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Walsh
Add Chainey

I also think it is ridiculous trying to vote in Bastian right now. 5th on the team in points, PPG actually declined by like .15 from last year. Skating is still one of his biggest issues, though he does have a decent IQ and physicality. Imo doesnt really stand out in too many ways, definitely dissappointed me when we picked him, and really dissappointed me with this season that he had. I would take Gignac, Popugaev, Walsh, and Zetterlund before him. No way does he deserve this many votes

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I definitely agree with this post. I think Urbom came in #6 or #7 in 2013. Speers and Rykov must be insulted. They probably think the #5 and #6 spot is like sitting in the corner with a dunce cap on.

Did you highly edit my quote, or is my name attached to a different quote for some random reason?

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Walsh
Add Chainey

I also think it is ridiculous trying to vote in Bastian right now. 5th on the team in points, PPG actually declined by like .15 from last year. Skating is still one of his biggest issues, though he does have a decent IQ and physicality. Imo doesnt really stand out in too many ways, definitely dissappointed me when we picked him, and really dissappointed me with this season that he had. I would take Gignac, Popugaev, Walsh, and Zetterlund before him. No way does he deserve this many votes

Saw quite a bit of Bastian live this year. I think you shouldn't judge this guy too harshly if you are just watching the scoresheets. The eye test shows more clearly his value. I thought he was one of the best on the ice in the scrimmage at dev camp. He is a natural center and hope they devep him that way. Playing center should alone land him higher in the rankings. I like his mobility and agility quite a bit more than the big russian kid. Fourth round was about right for him. Gignac and nate getting overlooked big time in this poll. I am of the belief that 2016 draft was strong and 2017 quite soft.
Just my 2cents worth

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Saw quite a bit of Bastian live this year. I think you shouldn't judge this guy too harshly if you are just watching the scoresheets. The eye test shows more clearly his value. I thought he was one of the best on the ice in the scrimmage at dev camp. He is a natural center and hope they devep him that way. Playing center should alone land him higher in the rankings. I like his mobility and agility quite a bit more than the big russian kid. Fourth round was about right for him. Gignac and nate getting overlooked big time in this poll. I am of the belief that 2016 draft was strong and 2017 quite soft.
Just my 2cents worth

No I definitely did see a few games of his. Not a whole ton but a few. Didnt really impress me that much. Looked kind of slow all around the ice but you still can definitely see the atributes that he has that led him to being picked in the 2nd round. Just overall, he didnt seem that impressive to me. But your opinion is probably way better than mine

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
What is Wood's potential if he fulfills it to 100%?

I went to BC and was surprised how well his game translated to the NHL so "quickly"-pun intended!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I went to BC and was surprised how well his game translated to the NHL so "quickly"-pun intended!

Bottom 6 energy guy right now. He has some great physical gifts with his size and speed. Plus he gives it 100%.

His biggest problem is he doesn't seem to have much of a mind for the game at all. He also doesn't really have a good shot, or great hands.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Probably a third line guy.

One of the reasons his stock with me is lower than it should be is the fact that he very clearly needs AHL time, yet our management and coaches love him so much, it seems doubtful that he would be sent back to the minors before the season starts or for most of the season. Perhaps he will be sent down and then I'd say that's a good step for me thinking his stock is up a little bit. But if they're adamant on him being on the NHL team, I don't think he'll hit any kind of a ceiling. He could just become a Stephen Gionta with much more offensive skill, but worse at every other facet.

He's seriously one of the most ridiculously fast skaters you'll see in the league on most nights.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

His game really hasn't translated that well, though. He's a runaway locomotive which means you notice him when he's on the ice but it doesn't make him that effective. I think Wood has the potential to be a top-6 forward if he can develop his puck-handling and decision-making skills. I at least think he can produce goals more consistently than a David Clarkson did, he's got many more tools than Clarkson ever had. But right now I think it's unlikely for him to develop to that extent. Superb 4th line forward paid too much is where I think he's headed.

He changes the game when he's on the ice. He makes you notice him. But that doesn't make him a tremendously effective player. It makes him useful, particularly as a player who can go out and change the tenor of the game for a shift - so he's valuable. But unless he takes some steps forward, he's never going to be more than that, he won't be a true impact forward - which I think he could be, if given the chance to develop.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Seems like a lot of people are already writing Wood off as "he is what he is" even though he's still only a 21-year old with one year of Pro experience. He seemingly has a future in the NHL, even if it is in a bottom 6 role. Maybe it's because we've had a chance to watch him closely at the NHL level whereas we've seen little of other prospects that we can pick his game apart a bit more versus focusing on the potential of others.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2017/03/nhl_scout_on_future_potential_for_devils_forward_m.html

Wood's speed and physicality became a regular fixture in the Devils' lineup in late November, and one NHL scout, who asked his name and organization remain anonymous, said those assets will continue to carry the rookie.

"He's got good size, he's got speed, he's got a lot of potential," the scout told NJ Advance Media. "He's not an elite thinker, but his compete level is second to none. He's definitely part of their future. He should be a good player for them for a lot of years."

Wood said at different points of the season that his time in Albany in October and November helped his understanding of the game and when to use his speed, something he is continues to learn.

Wood has eight goals and eight assists in 50 games this season, and his speed helped set up plenty of transition scoring chances. But the scout sees Wood as someone who will need his physicality to create dirty goals in front of net -- like he does on the power play now.

"I don't see him as a natural goal scorer, but there's not a team in the league that doesn't have room for guys who skate as well as him and compete as hard as him that are willing to lay it on the line all the time," the scout continued. "He's had a wonderful rookie year here, and he'll need to follow it up again next year."

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Seems like a lot of people are already writing Wood off as "he is what he is" even though he's still only a 21-year old with one year of Pro experience. He seemingly has a future in the NHL, even if it is in a bottom 6 role. Maybe it's because we've had a chance to watch him closely at the NHL level whereas we've seen little of other prospects that we can pick his game apart a bit more versus focusing on the potential of others.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2017/03/nhl_scout_on_future_potential_for_devils_forward_m.html

"Not an elite thinker" isn't so bad IMO. Some guys can be artists but you need a few guys to operate the wrecking ball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad