CFL: 2017 Grey Cup Thread

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Hey, better to be the worst team to win than the best team to lose.

Well, technically, it's all Calgary's fault.

I'm not questioning whether Toronto deserves to win or not, Lions won as an 8-10 team once... seriously, that happened. Once they bring in Halifax I think they need to rethink the season schedule. 9x2 18 games, one big league, top 6 go to playoffs.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
You know, there is something dead genuine about a bunch of athletes, making a normal salary, celebrating after they've fought all season.

Reactions: mrJT

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I do not understand how the Stamps went for the endzone there. You're in FG range.

I cannot even imagine how the whole city of Calgary feels right now

Personally I'd rather play for the win and lose than go for the tie and flip a coin in overtime, but that's just me.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I'm not questioning whether Toronto deserves to win or not, Lions won as an 8-10 team once... seriously, that happened. Once they bring in Halifax I think they need to rethink the season schedule. 9x2 18 games, one big league, top 6 go to playoffs.

Single table is definitely the way to go.

Even with 9 teams, play everyone twice for 16 games, match the Labour Day teams a third time and then just rotate through everyone else to get to 18. Divisions are pointless in a small league when travel isn't an issue.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If you are an Argo how do you feel good about that win?

You did absolutely nothing no to deserve it at all.

Embarrassing end for a horse rap league.

Well, some might argue that 2, 100+ yard plays were pretty exciting.

As for the league, I like both versions of football. IMO, NFL is better marketed. CFL is more exciting with more aerial work, change of possession and less "clock control."

I will say that when you have a playoff system where virtually everyone gets in, it leaves something to be desired. But that's a discussion for another day.

That said, the Argos path to the Cup was dramatic and well deserved.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Personally I'd rather play for the win and lose than go for the tie and flip a coin in overtime, but that's just me.
I mean I can understand taking that play to take a shot....but he willingly threw it to a blanketed receiver in double coverage. Like if the throw isn't there get it out and tie the game.

Reactions: GuitarGuy

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I mean I can understand taking that play to take a shot....but he willingly threw it to a blanketed receiver in double coverage. Like if the throw isn't there get it out and tie the game.

I'm not saying it was the right play call. For me, they made the right call going for the touchdown in that situation than playing for the field goal. That doesn't mean they made they right play call or the right throw.

I respect the hell out of any team or coach who is willing to throw down like that. And the end of the day, you play to win. Not to tie. They played to win and lost. It's a respectable way to go out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You can play for the win and not make a terrible decision.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
No but saying you're putting the game on the line of a coin flip is a tad overdramatic with CFL rules IMO.

Ok, it's not a coin flip. Both get possession.

The question still remains. Why play for the win later when you can do it now? Why play for the tie?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well, some might argue that 2, 100+ yard plays were pretty exciting.

As for the league, I like both versions of football. IMO, NFL is better marketed. CFL is more exciting with more aerial work, change of possession and less "clock control."

I will say that when you have a playoff system where virtually everyone gets in, it leaves something to be desired. But that's a discussion for another day.

That said, the Argos path to the Cup was dramatic and well deserved.

I'd agree the CFL is more exciting but as an American I feel it would be moreso if they utilized a 3 down system instead of 2. I'm sorry but I simply CAN NOT get over that. An extra down would allow for better establishment of the run game at least.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I'd agree the CFL is more exciting but as an American I feel it would be moreso if they utilized a 3 down system instead of 2. I'm sorry but I simply CAN NOT get over that. An extra down would allow for better establishment of the run game at least.

Perhaps. But that extra down leads to a lot of focus on controlling the clock.

The 3 downs vs 4 focuses the main goal of any drive on yardage instead of managing time. Multiple receivers get put in motion. The ball is in the air and we see possession change many times. IMO, that's what makes the Canadian version more entertaining.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
The Stamps had that game but blew it. That fumble and then interception at the end of the game. They did not deserve to win the game with dumb plays like that.

Sucks the Stamps lost 2 years in a row but congrats to the Argos.

It was an entertaining game to watch.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Perhaps. But that extra down leads to a lot of focus on controlling the clock.

The 3 downs vs 4 focuses the main goal of any drive on yardage instead of managing time. Multiple receivers get put in motion. The ball is in the air and we see possession change many times. IMO, that's what makes the Canadian version more entertaining.

Well the 3 down CFL format works because of the extra space on the field. You can get away with having to get 10 yards in 2 plays or 3 at the max because the offense has so much extra room to make plays. In the NFL you need an extra down because everything is more crowded. But that fact notwithstanding, I don't think we'd see the ball put any less in the air if the CFL utilized a 4 down NFL format. The extra down will still afford risks to be taken through the air. And I don't think we'd see any less exchange of possession because there's likely to be an increase in scoring.

I could be wrong about all of this but in my head it's playing out to a "different excitement" while still being very different to the NFL product.

But believe me I'd give anything for the WR's to come into motion before the snap so they can be full speed when they hit the line, seeing an actual kick return -in the NFL the kneel down is just formality at this point, the idea that you can get a point for tackling a kick returner in the endzone and players being allowed to kick the ball offensively ala rugby.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Well the 3 down CFL format works because of the extra space on the field. You can get away with having to get 10 yards in 2 plays or 3 at the max because the offense has so much extra room to make plays. In the NFL you need an extra down because everything is more crowded. But that fact notwithstanding, I don't think we'd see the ball put any less in the air if the CFL utilized a 4 down NFL format. The extra down will still afford risks to be taken through the air. And I don't think we'd see any less exchange of possession because there's likely to be an increase in scoring.

I could be wrong about all of this but in my head it's playing out to a "different excitement" while still being very different to the NFL product.

But believe me I'd give anything for the WR's to come into motion before the snap so they can be full speed when they hit the line, seeing an actual kick return -in the NFL the kneel down is just formality at this point, the idea that you can get a point for tackling a kick returner in the endzone and players being allowed to kick the ball offensively ala rugby.

You're naive if you think there wouldn't be any more running plays with a 4-down game. Please don't suggest anything so silly in a CFL thread again. Maybe I should go in one of the NFL threads and tell them to change the rules so there are no yards on punts rather than having something asinine like the punting team being allowed to recover the ball.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00