2017 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Red Bull is going for mileage before they push for quick laps. I wonder if this is part of the plan or if they are intentionally sandbagging?
Teams drive fast in the first two sectors and then slow down in the third all the time in testing & friday practices, they could be doing that. Idk if rival teams & the media have access to sector times in testing.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
-Thought I read Williams may not run tomorrow because of damage and lack of parts to fix the car.

Yup. After inspecting the damage from Stoll's incident they found damage to the chassis that could not be repaired.

Hamilton did not get to do any laps on the wet track due to an electrical fault.

Ferrari topped the time sheets in the wet runs.

The chief of Honda has apologized to the McLaren team for the performance/failures of the engine in the first test. I don't want to be all doomy and gloomy on McLaren yet, but it's not looking good. And the car us ugly too. haha

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Hamilton did not get to do any laps on the wet track due to an electrical fault.
After he said yesterday that he couldn't be bothered to drive on a wet track.

Hmm, electrical fault indeed.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
McClownda and Williams need to get their heads out of their you know what next round of testing. Lance Stroll doesn't look ready for Williams and that Honda engine is a mess.

On the bright side, new F1 management's loosing of the rules is great because there was plenty of video out there of testing. Now if they could improve the website and make a better mobile app.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Have any of you ever been to the Montreal GP? If I buy a General Admission ticket, can I stand in any of the General Admission areas or will I be designated to one of those sections? Also, can I buy a ticket pretty much whenever I want or is there a deadline/capacity?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Have any of you ever been to the Montreal GP? If I buy a General Admission ticket, can I stand in any of the General Admission areas or will I be designated to one of those sections? Also, can I buy a ticket pretty much whenever I want or is there a deadline/capacity?

I went once but I bought tickets to an assigned seat. I cant' speak to general admission, but I would assume that there are set places where you would have to go.

I got my tickets late and there was plenty of options to choose from. I wouldn't worry too much about capacity. Obviously the big ticket is the F1 race, but there's a bunch of other events there. When I went there was a F3 race and a Ferrari Cup race, plus all of the practice and qualifying.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Honda fired Gilles Simon. I'm not sure scapegoating Simon is going to fix anything, sounds more like a circling of the wagons at Honda. Keeping "outsiders" away from engine design is kind of how Honda got to the problematic situation they're in right now. I wonder if McClaren didn't sign off on this if the wedge gets driven a little deeper.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
McLaren admitted that their relationship with Honda is at "maximum strain" and that they are committed to using some of their own resources to help sort out the engine issues but will stop if it proves to be a detriment to the chassis program.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Anyone here watch Formula E? I'm thinking about giving it a shot, especially since there will be a Brooklyn ePrix. Is it any good?

While we're at it, how is IndyCar? Are oval tracks just as boring as it sounds?

Some of the oval tracks are(California, Texas) but smaller ones like Phoenix where they fly around it in record time is fun to watch as it looks kind of comical how fast the leaders will zip around slower cars while still going top speed.

It's just a different type of racing but the same style.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Ferrari killed it today. Even though he very obviously let up on the final corner and coasted to the finish line, Vettel posted the quickest time of the day at 1:19.024. Hamilton was 2nd fastest with a 1:19.352.

If Ferrari is purposely slowing down to not show their maximum pace and they still get the quickest lap time, that seems pretty impressive to me. Not sure if Mercedes did the same though.

In McLaren-Honda news, it's just bad. More electrical issues and Alonso lost his cool saying the engine lacks power and reliability. He said he thinks they are lacking at least 30KM/H in straight line speed, on every straight.
He praised the balance and control of the chassis but didn't hold back on what he thought about the engine.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Ferrari (Raikkonen) topped the time sheets on the final day of practice. He had a ridiculous 1:18.634 lap which was by far the quickest lap in all of the pre-season testing.
On top of that, he did a number of laps after posting that time, so he wasn't even on a light fuel load when he did it.

McLaren had more electrical issues and Alonso's quickest time was a whopping 4 seconds slower than Ferrari. Ouch.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

I went about 5-6 years ago and a GA ticket meant you could walk around anywhere, but couldn't go into any seated area.

The one we went to was the rain one where they stopped the race for a few hours, so there weren't as many people as usual in GA, we were able to be right at the walls basically.

I liked it, would buy it again.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Ferrari (Raikkonen) topped the time sheets on the final day of practice. He had a ridiculous 1:18.634 lap which was by far the quickest lap in all of the pre-season testing.
On top of that, he did a number of laps after posting that time, so he wasn't even on a light fuel load when he did it.

McLaren had more electrical issues and Alonso's quickest time was a whopping 4 seconds slower than Ferrari. Ouch.
I don't remember which day it was (Bottas had the fastest lap with ultras that day), but Bottas said to Finnish media that they're driving nowhere near what the car is capable of doing. On top of that, it's going to be a lot warmer when the actual Spanish GP is raced, so the tyres aren't working 100% too.

1:14.5 or faster is my guess.

John Surtees died today, the only man to be both F1 and Motorcycle world champion.
I watched the race live (on tv) where his son died, horrible way to go.

I think John stepped away from the public eye after that tragedy, don't recall seeing him present at races that often. RIP.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
f1-barcelona-pre-season-testing-ii-2017-mileage-per-power-unit.jpg

From Motorsport.com, here's the mileage by power unit for the completed testing. Mileage figures out to 40.6 GPs completed for Merc power and 6.4 GPs for McClownda.I believe Merc powered teams only used one power unit per car for each team and Honda burned through six total power units for the two cars. Ferrari power had no replacements during testing and I lost track of how many Renault power units were used amongst the teams.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
BWT must have paid them all the moneys in the world to get them to make their car pink.

When I just saw the image I thought it was some sort of breast cancer awareness promotion.

Nope. BWT (some water company) is the main sponsor so Force India went all pink. Drivers will wear pink and have pink on their helmets (I think).

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
From Motorsport.com, here's the mileage by power unit for the completed testing. Mileage figures out to 40.6 GPs completed for Merc power and 6.4 GPs for McClownda.I believe Merc powered teams only used one power unit per car for each team and Honda burned through six total power units for the two cars. Ferrari power had no replacements during testing and I lost track of how many Renault power units were used amongst the teams.

Renault went to the testing knowing they had and ERS issue that they had discovered on the dynos. Each team was made aware of the issue and from what I have read, I don't recall there being any other issues with the power unit.

Renault has said they will have a fix for when the racing season starts.

Can someone explain to me why Sauber is using a 2016 spec engine rather than the 2017? I never understood why some teams do this. Is it entirely a cost issue? Wouldn't Ferrari rather teams use their 2017 engines exclusively so they can gain more data from it?

I assume that Ferrari will not be doing any upgrades to the 2016 engine so Sauber is stuck with what they have?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
BWT must have paid them all the moneys in the world to get them to make their car pink.

When I just saw the image I thought it was some sort of breast cancer awareness promotion.

Nope. BWT (some water company) is the main sponsor so Force India went all pink. Drivers will wear pink and have pink on their helmets (I think).
Main sponsors get a lot power with private teams, look no further than Williams (during the times when they haven't been linked with BMW) or Sauber. I'm guessing there's a certain money threshold the team sets and when you go above it, you can do whatever the hell you want with the team.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Can someone explain to me why Sauber is using a 2016 spec engine rather than the 2017? I never understood why some teams do this. Is it entirely a cost issue? Wouldn't Ferrari rather teams use their 2017 engines exclusively so they can gain more data from it?

I assume that Ferrari will not be doing any upgrades to the 2016 engine so Sauber is stuck with what they have?

Sauber said last year that they didn't want to deal with a new power unit and the new regs at the same time for engineering design purposes. They said it wasn't about money but I think it's always about money. They're screwed this year because the elimination of the token system from previous years regs means there will be substantial upgrades from each power unit manufacturer over the course of the season. Previously, you could run a year old PU and be competitive for roughly half a season since development was limited by rule. I imagine without the token system this year, we'll see some very significant improvement from verybody leaving the 2016 Ferrari PU in the dust.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
McLaren has been in contact with Mercedes about their engines for 2018, according to Auto Bild.

In related McLaren/Mercedes news, Häkkinen returns to McLaren to work as their partner ambassador. IIRC he had a similar position with Mercedes ever since he retired in 2001.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
McLaren has been in contact with Mercedes about their engines for 2018, according to Auto Bild.

In related McLaren/Mercedes news, Häkkinen returns to McLaren to work as their partner ambassador. IIRC he had a similar position with Mercedes ever since he retired in 2001.

I always wondered what the Honda/McLaren money deal was. The other teams engine deals are easy enough to find out about, but not the Honda deal. Always assumed that Honda was kicking in something that made it more economically​ favorable for McLaren, but maybe I'm wrong.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I always wondered what the Honda/McLaren money deal was. The other teams engine deals are easy enough to find out about, but not the Honda deal. Always assumed that Honda was kicking in something that made it more economically​ favorable for McLaren, but maybe I'm wrong.
Idk about the financial details, but it's been reported that the deal was for 10 years and McLaren has an out-clause at the end of this year. Unless something dramatically changes for the better this season, I think it's safe to say McLaren is going to opt out. I'd even say they're going to opt out, regardless of if they get Mercedes engines or not.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Renault has fixed the ERS issue that they had throughout testing. They said they would be very surprised if the issue popped up in the opening race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad