2017 Draft & UDFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Short of winning the Cup, the most exciting thing we can do in June is draft Brännström.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Even if he is there, I just can't see them drafting another LD. We need future depth down the middle and at RD. Guys like Josh Norris, Bowers, Poehling, Jokiharju, etc., all just seem like what they'd be looking for.

Especially a guy like Josh Norris: ppg in the USHL, U Michigan commit. Screams Rangers pick to me.

Edit: I should add that I want Brannstrom. I'd love to draft him, but I just can't see them picking another LD.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If Brännström was a Finn, he would be ranked top 3 this year. Possibly FOA... ;)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Mac- I think the Ian Mitchell kid might be interesting. Think the mid range in the first in this draft is pretty interesting. Agree about the LD position, not saying I would pass on Brannstrom if he was there (he won't), but I think we will get an interesting forward.

But I would stay away from the Finns. Struggled to beat Slovakia, they are not even that good. Some people have EIGHT finns in the 1st lol. I don't think Sweden and Finland TOGETHER have had eight picks one year in the first. 6 is Sweden's record all time, and that was an incredible year for Sweden. The Finns came close the being demoted from the WJCs and aren't even great at the U18 level and is supposed to have a ton of guys in at least the top 45. Complete hubris from Laine and Pulju.

People have thrown very high picks into Finland the last years. What Finns are doing well in the NHL? It's those three, Laine, Aho and Pulju. Everyone else is meh at best in perspective. Even a kid like Barkov have yet to reach 60 pts. Teravainen. Granlund. Niskanen. Finland have what 2-3 Ds playing regularly in the entire NHL. 4-5?

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Finns have some very good players. Tolvanen, Heiskanen, Jokiharju, Luukkonen, Salo, Vaakanainen, Vesalainen, Valimaki, Rasanen and Ikonen all individually might be in people's top 31. Will all 10 probably be first rounders? Very unlikely, but I wouldn't be surprised if 5 or 6 are, and no less than four, I'd think. I think the Swedes will definitely have at least four, and like the Finns, could have as many as seven. Liljegren, Brannstrom, Pettersson, Andersson, Boqvist, Elvenes, Davidsson.

This is an extremely weak year for North Americans, and the Russian prospects aren't so strong either. Not inconceivable that a lot of first rounders this year could come from Finland and Sweden, despite WJC results. And I'm not saying all those Finns are going to end up anywhere near as good as Laine or Puljujarvi, there might not be many players at all who end up as good as Puljujarvi, and there might be no players as good as Laine.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Finns have some very good players. Tolvanen, Heiskanen, Jokiharju, Luukkonen, Salo, Vaakanainen, Vesalainen, Valimaki, Rasanen and Ikonen all individually might be in people's top 31. Will all 10 probably be first rounders? Very unlikely, but I wouldn't be surprised if 5 or 6 are, and no less than four, I'd think. I think the Swedes will definitely have at least four, and like the Finns, could have as many as seven. Liljegren, Brannstrom, Pettersson, Andersson, Boqvist, Elvenes, Davidsson.

This is an extremely weak year for North Americans, and the Russian prospects aren't so strong either. Not inconceivable that a lot of first rounders this year could come from Finland and Sweden, despite WJC results. And I'm not saying all those Finns are going to end up anywhere near as good as Laine or Puljujarvi, there might not be many players at all who end up as good as Puljujarvi, and there might be no players as good as Laine.

Just saying, since 08' the Finns have only had a total of players drafted exceeding 9 once, 11 players in 13'. Now its supposed to be like 10 in the top 45?

I don't know these younger kids that well. But I think there is some serious over over hyping going on.

Take each draft year and look at the top 3.
Kapanen 1st
Husso 4th
Lyttinen 5th

Barkov 1st
Ristolainen 1st
Lehkonen 3rd

Teravainen 1st
Pokka 2nd
Korpisalo 3rd

Mark Granlund 2nd
Alex Ruutu 2nd
Perhonen 3rd

That is not bad years for Finland, its pretty good years. My point is just, if these 8-10 kids are drafted were many have them (top 30-45), this year will alone amount 3-4 years of kids produced by Finland a normal year. Something like that has never happen before (Sweden's record is what 6 in the 1st and at the most 7 in the top 45, Sweden has like 120 players in the NHL this year, Finland 30), but would it be possible? I recon so. But the thing is, when I see these guys play for Finland they aren't even great. Good for year for them for sure, but I just don't see anything even remotely extreme on the ice. From the little I have seen, and reading up on some of these Finns, colour my very very very sceptical on several of them. Miro Heiskanen is a good kid. Usually drafted around 30-60 -- why is he ranked top 10? I just don't see it at all.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see your point, Ola. I do think the Finn's are starting to produce some better players though. Whether it translates to how they play for Finland, I don't know. These are still young kids, maybe they will play better once a few of them make the Men's National Team. I would say those 10 I named are all locks to go in the top three rounds. All of them besides Salo and Rasanen I think should be considered top 45 prospects. Salo and Rasanen would probably be somewhere around late 2nd/early 3rd for me, but you know how it is, one GM loves a player that most have late 2nd, and that player is picked late 1st, especially in such a divisive draft like this one. Also, the 2018 draft for Finland is looking pretty bad. I'd only put one Finn, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, in my early 2018 top 31, so this stuff comes and goes. They aren't going to start producing players like Canada, but it is possible that they are producing better players with 2015, 2016, 2017 being the best back to back to back years in a row for them. As for Miro Heiskanen, I agree to an extent. I was arguing a week or two ago in the Prospect board with people who were trying to say Heiskanen was better than Liljegren, and I thought it was laughable. Heiskanen is a fine player, but he's no Liljegren, even if Liljegren's not had his best season. Most drafts, I'd probably say he's a top 20-ish talent, but this is a weaker draft and he might be experiencing a bigger spike in his draft status than most because he's had a very productive season, while some of the actual top prospects in this draft have had bad seasons.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Mac- I think the Ian Mitchell kid might be interesting. Think the mid range in the first in this draft is pretty interesting. Agree about the LD position, not saying I would pass on Brannstrom if he was there (he won't), but I think we will get an interesting forward.

But I would stay away from the Finns. Struggled to beat Slovakia, they are not even that good. Some people have EIGHT finns in the 1st lol. I don't think Sweden and Finland TOGETHER have had eight picks one year in the first. 6 is Sweden's record all time, and that was an incredible year for Sweden. The Finns came close the being demoted from the WJCs and aren't even great at the U18 level and is supposed to have a ton of guys in at least the top 45. Complete hubris from Laine and Pulju.

People have thrown very high picks into Finland the last years. What Finns are doing well in the NHL? It's those three, Laine, Aho and Pulju. Everyone else is meh at best in perspective. Even a kid like Barkov have yet to reach 60 pts. Teravainen. Granlund. Niskanen. Finland have what 2-3 Ds playing regularly in the entire NHL. 4-5?

I do like Mitchell after Steve mentioned he could be a late first round. Why don't you like Jokiharju? He and Miro are the only two I really like. Valimaki I teeter on a bit

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Bereglazov's season ended today. If we land him, when can we expect the announcement? Days, weeks, months?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Even if he is there, I just can't see them drafting another LD. We need future depth down the middle and at RD. Guys like Josh Norris, Bowers, Poehling, Jokiharju, etc., all just seem like what they'd be looking for.

Especially a guy like Josh Norris: ppg in the USHL, U Michigan commit. Screams Rangers pick to me.

Edit: I should add that I want Brannstrom. I'd love to draft him, but I just can't see them picking another LD.

I'd take another Joshua. Brook.

Went very high in the Bantam draft, and has an excellent end to the season. Luke Martin is another, Mich is awful this year. Not a single offensive catalyst on that team.

These two have size & can skate. Not skate like Makar or Lilegren, but both players could turn into something if you don't value offensive upside with your 1st two picks.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bereglazov's season ended today. If we land him, when can we expect the announcement? Days, weeks, months?

I'd think weeks, although days are a possibility. I doubt months. Usually these UDFA's from Europe sign in April or May not June, July, August or September.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
I'd think weeks, although days are a possibility. I doubt months. Usually these UDFA's from Europe sign in April or May not June, July, August or September.

Gotcha! Thanks.
I went and watched some of the latest games between SKA and Magnitka and I've been really impressed with him. I hope we sign him.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I wonder if the Olympics thing has changed his mind at all about going to NA, he'd probably have a really good chance to make that squad if he stays.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Will Butcher and Harvard forward Alex Kerfoot are the two unsigned draft picks who have generated the most interest.

Butcher is listed at 5'10" and 190 pounds. He has played on numerous USA WJC teams, ages 17, 18 and 20. He is a proficient scorer. He was drafted in the 5th round in 2013 by Colorado who reportedly told him last summer they were not interested. I saw somewhere where Joe Sakic said Colorado would offer him a contract this year and Butcher said he would think about it. So he could decide to wait until August 15 to become a UFA.

Since the Rangers already have signed left handed defenseman Vince Pedri and reportedly are going to sign Alexei Bereglazov and are in the running for Swedish left handed defenseman Andreas Borgmann and the Rangers already have left handed defensemen Ryan Graves and Sean Day in the system I am not sure the Rangers would see Butcher as a priority unless one of the foreign guys doesn't sign.

Kerfoot is a Devils prospect but is from western Canada and their is some feeling he may want to go UFA to return home.

This is completely meaningless in how teams sign and draft young players. Completely meaningless. Him being a lefty is as meaningless as it could possibly be.

If he has potential in their eyes, they'll go after them. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how teams draft and sign prospects if this is your view.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
https://recrutes.ca/joni-ikonen-hat-trick-vs-latvia-apr-16-2017/.
Joni Ikonen's hat-trick video for yesterday's Latvia vs Finland U18 WJC game

In 3 games Ikonen has scored 7 points ( 4+3) his PPG is 2,33 and he's 2nd place tournament's scoring lead ( Vesalainen leads with 8 points before today's games).
If situation in draft board when Rangers make their 1st pick is Vaakanainen, Ikonen and Vesalainen are all available for Rangers who you'll choose and why?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If situation in draft board when Rangers make their 1st pick is Vaakanainen, Ikonen and Vesalainen are all available for Rangers who you'll choose and why?

Heiskanen. :laugh:

I'd probably take Ikonen of the three. I think the best pick in our draft range that is Finnish may be Jokiharju. We need a puck moving RHD. What do you think of him?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

This is a trick question. We will be selecting Brännström with our first round pick.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Heiskanen. :laugh:

I'd probably take Ikonen of the three. I think the best pick in our draft range that is Finnish may be Jokiharju. We need a puck moving RHD. What do you think of him?

Jokiharju was very good last years U18's in Grand Forks.
I didn't see Jokiharju's games in WHL this season because Finnish sport channels won't broadcast Canadian CHL games in Finland.
( only CHL what is view-able in Finland is European CHL= Champions Hockey League which not interest me at all.)

Jokiharju has NHL future and he's promising dman.
But i have to see more his games before i can tell more of him as a player.

And what comes to Joni Ikonen he isn't biggest guy on the ice ( 5'10 tall) but he's versatile player who play C and RW and he's right handed.
As a player Ikonen is fast and incredibly dangerous he has good shot with surprisingly powerful release. Also Ikonen has great all around offensive game.

Size is a concern and he needs gain more muscle-mass but that's not problem.
Frölunda where Ikonen plays has Europe's best junior development program ( European version of London Knights).

So if Rangers drafts Ikonen they can let him develop in Frölunda and bring him to NHL when he's mature and ready for that ( look Artturi Lehkonen right now).
PS if you wanna see Joni Ikonen playing watch ( if you have chance) Finland vs Canada game tomorrow morning 9:30 AM in TSN.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
This is a trick question. We will be selecting Brännström with our first round pick.

What then if Brännström and Jokiharju aren't available?.
Who you want in that situation if options are Vaakanainen ( LHD) Ikonen ( C / RW) and Vesalainen (LW / RW).

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
What then if Brännström and Jokiharju aren't available?.
Who you want in that situation if options are Vaakanainen ( LHD) Ikonen ( C / RW) and Vesalainen (LW / RW).

I do not accept a reality wherein we do not draft Brännström.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I do not accept a reality wherein we do not draft Brännström.

As much as I love the optimism, I hope you're prepared to be disappointed come draft day if NYR doesn't select him.

But I'm right there with you on the Brannstrom bandwagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad