Prospect Info: 2017 Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Like him enough to take with a second? Or just looking at the OHL, are there other non-first round projected players you would want over him?

I don't want to use our 2nd, no. I thought he was going to be a sleeper pick, but his name was all over the coaches poll. I think he might be a late 2nd, it's hard to say. If a team thinks he's got good hands, and has the defensive skills to be a 4th line C (at worst) they'd probably step up and take him.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
wow i really dont get the lack of Vilardi love.

seen a few games. REminds me of guys who just always want the puck, always in the right spot. Not the most sexy pick but gets the job done. THAT, makes it a sexy pick.

On that note - Pettersson, him or Lijegren wouldnt upset me.

Please no Cody Glass or Rasmussen.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

seen a few games. REminds me of guys who just always want the puck, always in the right spot. Not the most sexy pick but gets the job done. THAT, makes it a sexy pick.

I thought Vilardi was playing on the wing this year?

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I'm going to do this again. I just like doing it.

Curious to see the reaction to this one.

1. Erik Brannstrom
2. Joshua Norris
3. Filip Chytil
3. Olle Eriksson Ek
3. Stuart Skinner
3. Leon Gawanke
4. Reilly Walsh
5. Logan Cockerill
6. Logan Hutsko
6. Brannon McManus
7. Scooter Brickley

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I hear you on Rasmussen, but Cody Glass is a really, really good hockey player. Not overly flashy, but a kid that just really knows how to play the game. Suspect Vilardi is off of the board when we pick.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008

I really like Vilardi. I get the concern, but I think my concern for Petterson is triple. He's built like a coat rack, and I have doubts about his game translating to NA ice. I get he has skill, but I don't think he can use it in the areas I know Vilardi can. I also think most accounts would project him as a winger, and it's why I anticipate Tippett will also precede him. Alas, closer to 10 I'm OK with that risk/reward given the upside he possesses... I just think Petterson has one of the higher bust potentials.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

1. Erik Brannstrom
2. Joshua Norris
3. Filip Chytil
3. Olle Eriksson Ek
3. Stuart Skinner
3. Leon Gawanke
4. Reilly Walsh
5. Logan Cockerill
6. Logan Hutsko
6. Brannon McManus
7. Scooter Brickley

I like Brannstrom, Skinner, Walsh and Norris for sure but have a super hard time figuring out how things will play out in the second - fourth rounds. I do think we should take another goalie this year. I am not a goalie guy, but the people I respect on the subject all like Skinner and also think that goalies are a relative strength of this class. I am not saying we need to take one in the third, but we should take one at some point in the draft.

I have been told that Walsh is underrated and could be a good use of a third-round pick. Had he spent the entire year in the USHL he would probably be getting more attention. I would also give some consideration to Josh Brook, Samorukov and Mario Ferraro as third round-ish defensemen.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

1. Erik Brannstrom
2. Joshua Norris
3. Filip Chytil
3. Olle Eriksson Ek
3. Stuart Skinner
3. Leon Gawanke
4. Reilly Walsh
5. Logan Cockerill
6. Logan Hutsko
6. Brannon McManus
7. Scooter Brickley
I like Chytil a lot, would definitely pick him with one of the 3rd's. Could be gone by then though, he was #15 on CSS mid-terms (Brännström #16 btw) and has only improved since.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I'd be happy with Brannstrom. Followed him a lot early in the year but then he started to drop and I followed the hivemind on that one.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

1. Erik Brannstrom
2. Joshua Norris
3. Filip Chytil
3. Olle Eriksson Ek
3. Stuart Skinner
3. Leon Gawanke
4. Reilly Walsh
5. Logan Cockerill
6. Logan Hutsko
6. Brannon McManus
7. Scooter Brickley

You always have a good pulse on the USNTP guys... could you tell more about Norris and Walsh? Thanks!

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
You always have a good pulse on the USNTP guys... could you tell more about Norris and Walsh? Thanks!

Norris a two-way center, not the most skilled guy but effective at playing a tough game and battling. He checks all the boxes, but he's not really elite at anything.

I think a couple of years at Michigan might help, but for me he's a sure fire NHLer. Just taking a risk that he's not a #2 center.

Walsh I've only seen clips, but he's a right shot with decent skills. He doesn't play for the USNTDP, he's with Chicago in the USHL.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I like Chytil a lot, would definitely pick him with one of the 3rd's. Could be gone by then though, he was #15 on CSS mid-terms (Brännström #16 btw) and has only improved since.

I'm hoping his nationality drops him a bit.

Not that I think it's a bad thing, just seems that the Czech league isn't in vougue lately.

Watch me completely wrong and he goes in he 1st.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't think this is worth much, but the Hockey News redid the 2016 draft based on this past year and Chychrun was ranked in the top 4 due to making an NHL roster. It's obviously way too soon to make any solid prognosis on many guys in this draft outside of Matthews and Laine. Tkachuk is having a really impressive year too.

I guess the larger point is if Holland wants to try to make the playoff next year it may be in his best interest to draft a guy who is NHL ready rather than go with the typical "potential" prospect who takes 3-6 years to develop. I understand they felt ridding themselves of Datsyuk's contract would make them more competitive and we all know how that worked out.

If he drops back in the draft it'll be yet another sign that he is stuck in his ways and doesn't have the ability to adapt to the current NHL and state of his franchise.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't think this is worth much, but the Hockey News redid the 2016 draft based on this past year and Chychrun was ranked in the top 4 due to making an NHL roster. It's obviously way too soon to make any solid prognosis on many guys in this draft outside of Matthews and Laine. Tkachuk is having a really impressive year too.

I guess the larger point is if Holland wants to try to make the playoff next year it may be in his best interest to draft a guy who is NHL ready rather than go with the typical "potential" prospect who takes 3-6 years to develop. I understand they felt ridding themselves of Datsyuk's contract would make them more competitive and we all know how that worked out.

If he drops back in the draft it'll be yet another sign that he is stuck in his ways and doesn't have the ability to adapt to the current NHL and state of his franchise.

Wouldn't Holland drafting a guy who is "NHL ready" rather than a guy who he believes has more potential but may not be ready for a few years mean he is more focused on making the playoffs NOW than the future?

Seems like your logic is backwards.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

So you're saying if Ken Holland doesn't follow your specific plan on how you think a franchise is supposed to be built, then he lacks the true fundamental understanding on how to "adapt to the current NHL" like the great Arizona Coyotes?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So you're saying if Ken Holland doesn't follow your specific plan on how you think a franchise is supposed to be built, then he lacks the true fundamental understanding on how to "adapt to the current NHL" like the great Arizona Coyotes?
Whether Arizona builds anything remains to be seen. But that has no impact on the fact that Holland isn't building anything at all in Detroit, and, if his track record the last five years, coupled with his most recent comments, are any indication...he's not going to be building anything in the next few years, either.

His aversion to rebuilding is steering the team to a place where they'll never be any good, and have no options to substantially improve things, whether short- or long-term.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Detroit needs a center worse than anything. The defense is patchwork, but when Z retires they literally have an old Neilsen, Sheahan, and possibly Larkin as their top 2 centers. And that is if Larkin ever decides to transition to center. That's an aging 2nd/3rd line center, a kid who hasn't put it together at center and is looking like a winger, and a guy who could be replaced by a beer league player and most of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Wouldn't Holland drafting a guy who is "NHL ready" rather than a guy who he believes has more potential but may not be ready for a few years mean he is more focused on making the playoffs NOW than the future?

Seems like your logic is backwards.

Well, I am speaking to what Holland's stated objective is, which is to make the playoffs. This past offseason he unloaded Datsyuk's contract so he had more space to sign free agents. It didn't work out as far as the end goal is concerned: making the playoffs. Also Vanek was a one year stop gap who admittedly brought some additional value via trade.

I was speaking more to the fact that if Holland trades back in this draft and misses out once again on a guy like Chychrun who can be a contributor right away he's really not optimizing his end goal of making the playoffs in 2017-18.

Oh and with regard to Dotter, the point was entirely about the Red Wings and drafting NHL ready players. It had absolutely nothing to do with Phoenix.

Kind of depends on the trade doesn't it?

Of course. However last year the Wings passed on a guy who is already a good NHL d-man in his first year as a pro. He put up more goals on defense than anyone on Detroit other than Mike Green. So if they trade down yet again this year it is likely to get "one more kick at the can". Like I said regarding the Datsyuk trade I didn't like it but I did understand why Holland made the deal. As a result we missed out on a guy who would address one of our biggest needs and could contribute right away and for the foreseeable future.

Does Holland show the ability to realize the error he made last summer and that trading back hasn't accomplished its end goal up to this point? Did Jurco, Sproul, etc really justify moving back in the draft? Or does he trade back yet again because his crack scouting staff really liked the guys he picked later and we'll see in 3-6 years whether or not they actually turn into quality NHL players?

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Thank you for posting that video I can't wait to get to my Wi-Fi.

I'm also tempted to tweet @ medicine hat and tell them to please zoom out lol

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Couldn't disagree more. This is a draft that is allegedly a two horse race followed by a cadre of players ranked all over the map. Of any draft I can remember, this is the one to trust your scouting staff over the hivemind. This isn't 2013 where you ended up with a "big four" plus a couple other guys knocking on the door or 2015 where you had McJesus/Eichel plus Marner, Hanifin, and Strome taking turns as the 3rd wheel. The player you get at 11 could be another team's 2nd, 19th or 50th ranked guy if rankings throughout the past 1.5-2 years have taught us anything. Even down to the wire, you've got new guys making a case for moving drastically in either direction on the board in this draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Usually don't like them in the first few rounds, but there's a bunch of smaller guys I like in this draft.

Really hope we grab 1 of Heponiemi or Morand.

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015

I still like Necas, if we speak about smaller guys. After a 15-point (in 41 games) regular season he has 4 goals in 7 PO games so far.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Liljegren is a good player. However I really like a kid who is a great 2 way d-man....... Juuso Valimaki.

I'd love to see him be the pick in round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad