Prospect Info: 2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto II Rookie Pro Season in the Books

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So funny to see the Yamamoto skeptics go on about small sample sizes yet if he was struggling after 8 games, they would be the first ones in line to say "I told you so" that he would be a nothing in the NHL. Hell, look at their Broberg takes for proof of that.
I don't even think they're wrong about needing to see a bigger sample size to be sold on him but still.

Also, you don't score goals in the NHL by being "lucky", that's a copout to minimize his contribution.
He earned the empty bet goal by making a great defensive play to free up the puck and then finishing into the empty net, something far more experienced players have had a hard time doing.
The 2nd goal he needed to be in position to receive the pass and still have to get the one time shot off to score. More experienced players have whiffed on opportunities like that or "dusted it off" allowing the goalie to get in position to make the save.
The 3rd goal was coming off a hard working shift in which he fended off bigger players to get a sneaky quick shot off that surprised Raanta hence why he was scrambling to the point of knocking it in his own net.

No the goals weren't picassos but they were the result of hard work, positioning and an ability to get the shots on net. Not luck, sorry.
You can also counter that to say that it was bad luck that he didn't score on the 2 on 1 when he got robbed by the goalie but it doesn't work that way.

With that said, he still has some proving to do to solidify himself as a permanent top 6 fixture. As always, consistency is key with youngsters after the initial energy from the call up levels off.

I'm always more concerned and impressed with the process as opposed to the result, as I believe if a player is playing the "right way" (and I think Yamo is), that the results will eventually show themselves. Of course, everyone has a ceiling as to how far they can go, regardless as to the way they play, but I think he can be a legit top 6 player. A good comparison might be Zucarello.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So funny to see the Yamamoto skeptics go on about small sample sizes yet if he was struggling after 8 games, they would be the first ones in line to say "I told you so" that he would be a nothing in the NHL. Hell, look at their Broberg takes for proof of that.
I don't even think they're wrong about needing to see a bigger sample size to be sold on him but still.

Also, you don't score goals in the NHL by being "lucky", that's a copout to minimize his contribution.
He earned the empty bet goal by making a great defensive play to free up the puck and then finishing into the empty net, something far more experienced players have had a hard time doing.
The 2nd goal he needed to be in position to receive the pass and still have to get the one time shot off to score. More experienced players have whiffed on opportunities like that or "dusted it off" allowing the goalie to get in position to make the save.
The 3rd goal was coming off a hard working shift in which he fended off bigger players to get a sneaky quick shot off that surprised Raanta hence why he was scrambling to the point of knocking it in his own net.

No the goals weren't picassos but they were the result of hard work, positioning and an ability to get the shots on net. Not luck, sorry.
You can also counter that to say that it was bad luck that he didn't score on the 2 on 1 when he got robbed by the goalie but it doesn't work that way.

With that said, he still has some proving to do to solidify himself as a permanent top 6 fixture. As always, consistency is key with youngsters after the initial energy from the call up levels off.

He was decent pick where we got him but was grossly rushed by the organization and ultimately failed.

I figured he would require a lot of ahl time prior to making the show.

If he fails again just send him down. He is improving.

My point being i don't think anyone wants him to fail. But there are legit concerns about the player and he may not be ready again.

Luck is certainly a portion of his current success and i hope it springboards his play as it seems to be.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm always more concerned and impressed with the process as opposed to the result, as I believe if a player is playing the "right way" (and I think Yamo is), that the results will eventually show themselves. Of course, everyone has a ceiling as to how far they can go, regardless as to the way they play, but I think he can be a legit top 6 player. A good comparison might be Zucarello.

Agreed, I'm more interested in the way he plays than the raw goal and point numbers. If he plays hard and smart, the points will come playing alongside those guys. He just needs to keep that energy level up game in and game out, keep playing hungry.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
There are legit concerns about a top 6 winger with 3g 3a in 8 gp?... He may not be ready?...

This team was slumping badly before he was called up but is like 6 w 2 l since then. Apparently a player is not ready since none of the goals were of your taste.... Let's send him back down... Holy crap. Luckily Tippett/Holland are no a fools

@CupofOil's post needs way more appreciation, really spot on that one.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

He earned the empty net goal by making a great defensive play to free up the puck and then finishing into the empty net, something far more experienced players have had a hard time doing.

I'm only still being skeptical and asking about sample size cause we had Ty Rattie look great for a short span, same with Lander etc.

It's not uncommon for prospects to come up and play really well with the excitement but not be able to keep up with it very long. Happens all the time. So while I'm excited and pumped that he is playing well, I'm still skeptical of he can keep it up.

Reactions: Aerchon

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I like Yamamoto a lot he uses his smarts and quickness to create turnovers and penalties and is effective at all strengths. I think his smarts also means he works better with NHL players. I honestly haven't seen a huge difference from his last 2 stints. I think Yamamoto getting his wrist right and being a little bit older and faster has been just enough to see the offense come. I think him and Nuge have always had really good chemistry and have always retained pressure well even if the pucks didn't go in enough last year. Draisaitl's ability to produce on scoring chances might be the best in the league so i think it's logical that the trio works really well together.

My concerns with him are few. I feel his edge work and puck handling could improve a bit, he lacks great hands and elite skating although they are very good. Injuries will always be a concern but no one can predict them either with gritty little guys like Ferraro, Cogliano, and Marchant having long careers and the Lindros brothers having short careers. It's hard not to like him, i think he's going to be an effective middle 6 forward for a long time barring injury.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I honestly haven't seen a huge difference from his last 2 stints. I think Yamamoto getting his wrist right and being a little bit older and faster has been just enough to see the offense come. .

Same.

I think he's played about the same in all his stints but had "bad luck" in his first two (so many near goals). Getting a tad faster and stronger probably turned almost goals/assists into real ones. Patrick Russell has "bad luck" too but that's sugar coating the fact he simply doesn't have NHL offensive skills. Yamamoto has broken past that barrier.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Same.

I think he's played about the same in all his stints but had "bad luck" in his first two (so many near goals). Getting a tad faster and stronger probably turned almost goals/assists into real ones. Patrick Russell has "bad luck" too but that's sugar coating the fact he simply doesn't have NHL offensive skills. Yamamoto has broken past that barrier.

He's improved in several areas:

- first step acceleration
- offensive zone elusiveness (agility and anticipation)
- passing and overall on ice vision
- positioning

Positioning is completely underrated but it's a big part of his game now. He's usually in great position both on the forecheck and in the defensive zone now. In combination with his anticipation, he's probably the second best forechecker on the team (behind James Neal).

replacement

Oct 20, 2018

- positioning

Positioning is completely underrated but it's a big part of his game now. He's usually in great position both on the forecheck and in the defensive zone now. In combination with his anticipation, he's probably the second best forechecker on the team (behind James Neal).

I don't think there's much doubt he's grown as a player in two seasons. But I'd agree with @voxel that there really isn't a night and day difference in his game. It's not like he transformed anything drastically. A little more consistency is maybe the biggest difference.

I remember watching Yamamoto do the exact same stuff as he's doing now, winning puck battles against 6'4" defencemen, going to the right areas, getting looks here and there, and there wouldn't be a peep. But then he'd get knocked down once, and everybody here would be like, "he's too small! Send him back!".

He wasn't a bad player back then, and he's not the be all end all right now after 8 games this year. He's got a lot of racetrack, he's got stuff to work on. He absolutely will need to finish strong on his grade A's in order to continue producing at a good clip. I think we all hope he can show that quality. No reason to doubt him now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't think there's much doubt he's grown as a player in two seasons. But I'd agree with @voxel that there really isn't a night and day difference in his game. It's not like he transformed anything drastically. A little more consistency is maybe the biggest difference.

I remember watching Yamamoto do the exact same stuff as he's doing now, winning puck battles against 6'4" defencemen, going to the right areas, getting looks here and there, and there wouldn't be a peep. But then he'd get knocked down once, and everybody here would be like, "he's too small! Send him back!".

He wasn't a bad player back then, and he's not the be all end all right now after 8 games this year. He's got a lot of racetrack, he's got stuff to work on. He absolutely will need to finish strong on his grade A's in order to continue producing at a good clip. I think we all hope he can show that quality. No reason to doubt him now.

I think his positioning has improved significantly, but sometimes it's the small improvements in important areas that make all the difference. Like when Draisaitl got just a little bit faster and a little bit stronger.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

- positioning

I don't think there's been any dramatic improvements other than natural maturation. His wrist was buggered back in junior and playing hockey on a bum wrist isn't easy. Being stronger faster and more experienced comes with getting older, add that to being healthy and i see a naturally improved player taking small consistent steps forward. We don't have to hope he finds a skill he doesn't have to be effective. His skating and anticipation have always seen him create turnovers and win loose pucks. I think he's for real , the execution is just better.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Guy played a heck of a game against Calgary. Looking better all the time.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Looks like Yams is here to stay. His overall game seems solid - great defensively, works hard on the forecheck, and is capable of some slick passes. My only issue really is that he defers to Drai and Nuge too often.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Was our best player tonight, I remember chia saying that Yams told him “if you don’t draft me, I’ll make you regret it” and that’s what drove him to draft him. I think we’re just starting to see what he can do.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Was our best player tonight, I remember chia saying that Yams told him “if you don’t draft me, I’ll make you regret it” and that’s what drove him to draft him. I think we’re just starting to see what he can do.

Chia does seem like a guy who would fall for that

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is probably the 4th or 5th time I've come back to this thread to eat crow, but it has been warranted.

He was pretty much our best player last night in a tough game against Calgary. He plays the right way more times than not. Although he doesn't have the top-end skill, he has enough to do something when he gets into position. He looks significantly faster this year as well, which I always had as a knock against him, especially his first few steps. All in all, I'm not sure what more we could have asked for so far into his call-up. Again, it's really early, and you would expect some regression at some point, but there is a player there from our limited look so far.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Looks like Yams is here to stay. His overall game seems solid - great defensively, works hard on the forecheck, and is capable of some slick passes. My only issue really is that he defers to Drai and Nuge too often.

More experience he gains, the more he'll start to gain more confidence. Drai in his first year where he got 51 points I believe would defer to Hall alot

Reactions: B33K33PING

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Another solid game last night. Forward wise, he probably our best player. Didn't look as rusty as the rest

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad