Prospect Info: 2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto II Rookie Pro Season in the Books

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Broberg is washed up!!

Haha the some of those same posters are the same who jumped on Drai when he struggled starting out, have been in the Yamamoto thread for over a year ragging on him and how he would never be a player, and now they are jumping on a pick, that was known to be a project pick, of a player picked because of there tools and long term projection.

Hopefully Yamamoto keeps it up, and those posters keep eating their crow, and it will show that not all player development is linear or based off short term success

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's not the size of the dog in the fight but fight in the dog.

I'm being reminded of this saying watching Yamamoto play in Battle of Alberta games. Fearless, goes into the paint and hard areas of the ice, shows great energy, smart hockey IQ, and isn't shrinking in big moments and roster positioning to help a one-trick team create a more balanced roster required to win.

I'm BEL and I am a reformed Yamamoto 'hater.' Wanted Kole Lind with that pick (after hoping against hope that Liljegren would drop). I felt small players are better picked second round or later. Happy to be wrong and reminded good things come in small packages. Early return looks positive for a player who doesn't blink in what used to be, for the most part, a big man's game. Yamamoto looks like a solid new age NHL player.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I've seen people trash guys for lots of things other than size. The biggest thing is being patient and being satisfied with letting these kids develop, and develop properly, but everyone seems to have their own timeline and expectations that are the same for each player, but we all know nothing is linear. So many different things can impact when the player is ready for the show, but the players are treated like robots or something from an NHL 20 video game. I'm guilty of this myself for certain players, so I'm certainly not preaching. Just sayin'.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Haha the some of those same posters are the same who jumped on Drai when he struggled starting out, have been in the Yamamoto thread for over a year ragging on him and how he would never be a player, and now they are jumping on a pick, that was known to be a project pick, of a player picked because of there tools and long term projection.

Hopefully Yamamoto keeps it up, and those posters keep eating their crow, and it will show that not all player development is linear or based off short term success
Yup, I don't understand why these fans are so fickle. Expecting an 18-19 yr old to step right in and light it up. They based their analysis only on a few youtube clips and comments from some so-called experts. If Button or Mackenzie says a few things calling a player questionable, that player would be pretty much done and hockey career is over according to HFboards. I remembered when RNH and Matt Dumba was drafted that RNH for Matt Dumba would be an overpay. Then last year I see people wanting to give RNH plus a 1st for Dumba. Dumba at 18-19 was considered garbage and a bust here the same way Broberg is a bust now.

Check out comments about Yamamoto from last season. Yamamoto was a name tossed into any trade to get any third line player. Yamamoto was at best a fringe NHL player.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
It's not the size of the dog in the fight but fight in the dog.

I'm being reminded of this saying watching Yamamoto play in Battle of Alberta games. Fearless, goes into the paint and hard areas of the ice, shows great energy, smart hockey IQ, and isn't shrinking in big moments and roster positioning to help a one-trick team create a more balanced roster required to win.

I'm BEL and I am a reformed Yamamoto 'hater.' Wanted Kole Lind with that pick (after hoping against hope that Liljegren would drop). I felt small players are better picked second round or later. Happy to be wrong and reminded good things come in small packages. Early return looks positive for a player who doesn't blink in what used to be, for the most part, a big man's game. Yamamoto looks like a solid new age NHL player.
Kole Lind can be had now for junk.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Not sure about that but why I put a name to my post in admitting to have misjudged Yamamoto.
You could also put your name in misjudging Broberg while you're at it. When Yamamoto was drafted, I said it would take him 4 yrs to make everyone eat their words. I think Broberg would take 5 yrs and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a top 20 D in the NHL.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You could also put your name in misjudging Broberg while you're at it. When Yamamoto was drafted, I said it would take him 4 yrs to make everyone eat their words. I think Broberg would take 5 yrs and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a top 20 D in the NHL.

I liked the Broberg pick and still do. Not sure where you got the impression I didn't. What turned me on Yamamoto was a pretty ineffective U20 tournament including injury and was pretty average in the rest of his year in Spokane. He looked brittle and didn't show finishing skills to play against bigger NHL players. He is a great case that AHL seasoning is so important for overwhelming majority of prospects. And how the Oiler rush tendency of 18 year olds fails a lot of players. Insane they tried to start him at 18.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I was absolutely floored by the GWG scored by Draisaitl. But not because of Draisaitl's play on it - which was certainly elite skill - but because of Yamamoto's pass, which was excellent skill, and elite hockey IQ. I've watched it over and over just to appreciate how great a pass that was. Here's the breakdown:

If you want an example of what it means to have NHL polish, and high level hockey IQ, this is a perfect one. All this happens in the span of 3 seconds, Yamamoto has to execute, know what every single guy involved in the play is going to do, and position himself accordingly. There are a lot of guys who can sauce the puck, a lot of guys that can hit the open man. But it takes more to turn a situation like this in to a grade A scoring chance.

That's just unbelievable work by Yamamoto.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was absolutely floored by the GWG scored by Draisaitl. But not because of Draisaitl's play on it - which was certainly elite skill - but because of Yamamoto's pass, which was excellent skill, and elite hockey IQ. I've watched it over and over just to appreciate how great a pass that was. Here's the breakdown:

All true but Faulk really allowed that play to happen because he was so out of position and focused on the wrong player.

If Faulk plays that properly then that play doesnt happen.

That being said I really like Yamamoto. He processes the game at a very high level...thats the main reason why he has been such an effective top 6 player so far.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
All true but Faulk really allowed that play to happen because he was so out of position and focused on the wrong player.

If Faulk plays that properly then that play doesnt happen.

That being said I really like Yamamoto. He processes the game at a very high level...thats why he has been such an effective top 6 player so far.

Think of the speed of this. If Faulk fades off Yamamoto, that's an easy flip in to space and Draisaitl is going full speed, Faulk has no chance. Faulk's big error, I'd say, is that he gets dummied by Draisaitl on the shot. Should just take a penalty if you're going to let a guy under your stick like that.

The reason this play works isn't because Faulk is out of position, it's because Yamamoto executes the pass perfectly. On the backhand no less. It's in that tiny sliver of ice behind Faulk and in front of Draisaitl that allows this play to work. By percentages, Faulk did the right thing. How many times do we see that pass? 99 times out of 100 it's a dump in.

Reactions: Samus44

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Think of the speed of this. If Faulk fades off Yamamoto, that's an easy flip in to space and Draisaitl is going full speed, Faulk has no chance. Faulk's big error, I'd say, is that he gets dummied by Draisaitl on the shot. Should just take a penalty if you're going to let a guy under your stick like that.

The reason this play works isn't because Faulk is out of position, it's because Yamamoto executes the pass perfectly. On the backhand no less. It's in that tiny sliver of ice behind Faulk and in front of Draisaitl that allows this play to work. By percentages, Faulk did the right thing. How many times do we see that pass? 99 times out of 100 it's a dump in.

The point your missing though is that Faulk's misplay opens the door for the entire sequence.
Dont misunderstand me...I am not taking anything away from Yamamoto...I am just acknowledging a massive defensive error by Faulk.

Yamamoto played the situation perfectly though...I agree with you there.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You signed up in 2019.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Exactly. Faulk was out of position by like a foot. A better skating player would have been fine and even Faulk had a chance on Draisaitl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad