2017-2018 Special Teams

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
One thing I miss about Ladd was his net front presence. Greasy goals, deflections. Lowry doesn't have the hands for it, and not a lot of players want to be in front of the net with Laine in his office. it would be nice to have another power forward who could take that role on the PP.

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
I thought Matthias was brought in for his pk work?
I'd rather have him out there blocking shots than Schef.....

Last edited:

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
Frankly, he was excellent on the PP last year. Between scoring at the second highest rate, winning faceoffs and retrieving the puck behind the net he was an excellent screen as well. If only he could learn how to tip pucks....

Will it continue this year or was it simply sh% luck who knows. Maybe he has some innate ability to jam home loose. He had 40G in his last year of junior.

He's at least earned a spot on 1 of the 2 PPs

Well let's hope Buff gives him some tips on how to wreak havoc down low... there isn't a better mentor in the world lol.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Well Laine, Connor and Morrissey where trialed on the PP together last preseason by Kompon. Yes it was preseason but those where some of the best looking pp's that I have seen being run by this team. Excellent puck and player movement and Laine was able to get a number of good looks. Low and behold Moe comes back and it's right back to playing veterans and static puck and player movement. If left to his own devices I'm sure Kompon would go back to that trio plus another quick passer and an additional shooter.

Frankly you have no idea why the personnel was changed on the PP. It could have just as easily been Komptons plan to switch it up when he got the players back from the world cup.

Nevermind the fact that pretty season success is a laughable measure of special teams considering the rosters and give a **** factor.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Frankly you have no idea why the personnel was changed on the PP. It could have just as easily been Komptons plan to switch it up when he got the players back from the world cup.

Nevermind the fact that pretty season success is a laughable measure of special teams considering the rosters and give a **** factor.

Given the general schemes and short comings of the PP were eerily similar despite changing the PP coach yea I feel reasonably confident in my assertion that Maurice had a big hand in the formation and player usage.

I don't know why you are arguing the preseason aspect of it when I clearly already noted that it was preseason and greatly alluded to the fact of taking the results with a grain of salt. It also wasn't the results I was trying to point to more so the philosophy. The players moved the puck quickly and they themselves weren't static. Contrast that to what we saw most of last year.

I've seen enough of our incredibly static PP that greatly underperforms the teams talent level. Sure there is data that shows we get high quality scoring chances but that data also shows it cones from largely static positions with a lack of movement which means the goalie is able to get set which is why we end up mod pack to bottom 10 constantly.

Go watch the best teams in the league on the PP. The puck is constantly moving and the players are moving in and out of space creating options and pulling the opposing PKers out of position. Our players don't move the puck with any confidence, they also largely stand around as well. That is coaching imo.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Given the general schemes and short comings of the PP were eerily similar despite changing the PP coach yea I feel reasonably confident in my assertion that Maurice had a big hand in the formation and player usage.

I don't know why you are arguing the preseason aspect of it when I clearly already noted that it was preseason and greatly alluded to the fact of taking the results with a grain of salt. It also wasn't the results I was trying to point to more so the philosophy. The players moved the puck quickly and they themselves weren't static. Contrast that to what we saw most of last year.

I've seen enough of our incredibly static PP that greatly underperforms the teams talent level. Sure there is data that shows we get high quality scoring chances but that data also shows it cones from largely static positions with a lack of movement which means the goalie is able to get set which is why we end up mod pack to bottom 10 constantly.

Go watch the best teams in the league on the PP. The puck is constantly moving and the players are moving in and out of space creating options and pulling the opposing PKers out of position. Our players don't move the puck with any confidence, they also largely stand around as well. That is coaching imo.

Its generally absurd to think the coach is telling these guys to stay in the same spot and not move. The PP wasn't bad for the last 5 months of the season... coinciding with the return of Bryan Little.

The formation of the PP also changed along with personnel through the season. From overload to umbrella and back with different units using different formations at time as well.

Lack of execution seemed to be a big factor on the PP as well as putting out Laine constantly regardless of the fact he wasn't able to generate much nor could he keep possession of the puck when he was rushed.

Constantly absolving players of responsibility and dumping it all on PoMo is generally the lazy narrative building that I've become used to here. To think that PoMo would have just showed up and changed everything Kompon was working on in the preseason flies in the face of logic.

Our crappy PP coincided with our loss of key forwards like Little and MP.... and returned to respectability with their return. May have as much to do with it as coaching.... probably more.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Its generally absurd to think the coach is telling these guys to stay in the same spot and not move. The PP wasn't bad for the last 5 months of the season... coinciding with the return of Bryan Little.

The formation of the PP also changed along with personnel through the season. From overload to umbrella and back with different units using different formations at time as well.

Lack of execution seemed to be a big factor on the PP as well as putting out Laine constantly regardless of the fact he wasn't able to generate much nor could he keep possession of the puck when he was rushed.

Constantly absolving players of responsibility and dumping it all on PoMo is generally the lazy narrative building that I've become used to here. To think that PoMo would have just showed up and changed everything Kompon was working on in the preseason flies in the face of logic.

Our crappy PP coincided with our loss of key forwards like Little and MP.... and returned to respectability with their return. May have as much to do with it as coaching.... probably more.

Ah so you think the 19th ranked PP is respectable? That is what the results where the last 30 games once all out forwards where back healthy and the injury rust was off. Sorry but I have a little bit higher expectations than that given the talent on this team.

You bring up Laine and imo he is the perfect example how our coaching staff couldn't find a way to use an elite weopon correctly on the pp (Funby how none of his other coaches at any level seemed to have a problem making him productive there), but hey he was able to get Lowry to look respectable so he knows what he's doing... Maurice has a history of running sub par special team units. Moe has his strengths but running special teams isn't one of them.

Also while you might be sick of the everything is the coaches fault narrative I'm sick of the coaches have no responsibility narrative. It's not lazy to point out that our pp and PK results remain largely u changes despite changing the assistants, adding different personnel and terrific infusion of young talent, most of which have dominated pp's in other leagues. I most certainly hold the players accountable for not executing at a higher level but I blame the coaches for not being able to derive something to get all this talent clicking in a situation pp where they should be dominating. Look no further than the equally young Leafs and how well they click on the PP.

Last edited:

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I'm almost inclined to put Wheeler on the point instead of Buff. I swear, Wheeler definitely does not have a big shot from the point, but somehow he manages to get his shots through far more often than Buff it seems. But ya:

----------------(Net)
---------------Wheeler

Laine---------Scheifele-------Ehlers

---------------Byfuglien

Then for PP2:

---------------(Net)
---------------Lowry

Little---------Perreault-------Connor

---------------Trouba

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I have a feeling that Kompton hasn't really been given a fair chance with the PP. Other than its distinctive look last pre-season, that PP had PoMo written all over it.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I just think with Connor and Laine on the PP at the same time the other team can't cheat to one side...Buff in front being Buff, Morrissey running the show and the firepower of Scheif, Connor and Laine would make most teams' PP lineup jealous.
This also allows for the offense of Trouba, Wheeler Little, MP, and Ehlers for the 2nd PP which isn't too shabby at all.
It's the PK tht needs the most fixing.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
I would put laine at center and push scheifele down to the 2nd PP line, and put lowry on left wing.

laines ability to shoot will draw the penalty kill box smaller which should free up room for byfuglien to tee off. With lowry at wing he can be the guy that feeds byfuglien at the point, he is strong, and can hold his ground, which is very important on the power play.

If laine shows that he can score while standing in a crowd, he will be a super star.

I'm almost inclined to put Wheeler on the point instead of Buff. I swear, Wheeler definitely does not have a big shot from the point, but somehow he manages to get his shots through far more often than Buff it seems. But ya:

----------------(Net)
---------------Wheeler

---------------Byfuglien

Then for PP2:

---------------(Net)
---------------Lowry

---------------Trouba

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just think with Connor and Laine on the PP at the same time the other team can't cheat to one side...Buff in front being Buff, Morrissey running the show and the firepower of Scheif, Connor and Laine would make most teams' PP lineup jealous.
This also allows for the offense of Trouba, Wheeler Little, MP, and Ehlers for the 2nd PP which isn't too shabby at all.
It's the PK tht needs the most fixing.

Well .... the PP would be good if it was done that way. Morrissey is probably the best puck distributor we have (based on a very small sample). I'd be willing to bet actual money that he gets very little opportunity to do that this year.

But yes, as bad as the PP is, the PK is worse.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

----------------(Net)
---------------Wheeler

---------------Byfuglien

Then for PP2:

---------------(Net)
---------------Lowry

---------------Trouba

I like this. Might substitute Armia for Lowry as a net front player on PP 2.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see Wheeler as any front player, and we might have to watch him in Laine's spot on the first PP.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I like this. Might substitute Armia for Lowry as a net front player on PP 2.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see Wheeler as any front player, and we might have to watch him in Laine's spot on the first PP.

Which sucks cuz they need to find a way to get Wheeler and Laine on the same powerplay unit. Wheeler was our best PP man last season but Laine has the potential to be the best, and really should have been the best last season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Which sucks cuz they need to find a way to get Wheeler and Laine on the same powerplay unit. Wheeler was our best PP man last season but Laine has the potential to be the best, and really should have been the best last season.

Agree.

I would play them together, but then Wheeler needs to play netfront.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Some brief thoughts to build upon the comments made by others concerning the PP.

The 1:3:1 is probably the best formation for the Jets IF they are trying to model the Caps system and utilize Laine`s tremendous talents on the left similar to Ovechkin. BUT the 1:3:1 requires that all 5 players be skilled competent puckhandlers, comfortable with executing short crisp passes while under pressure (frankly Lowry and Wheeler have some limitations in these areas).

The 1:3:1 used by the Caps relies heavily on the strong side half wall player (Backstrom) to basically QB the plays, pulling defenders out of position and taking shots on net or making cross ice passses to Ovechkin for his famous one-timer. Neither Ehlers nor Connor,despite their tremendous quickness and shooting capability, have shown that they are comfortable or competent yet at functioning in this half wall role. Their instincts are to take flight and create space with speed, and both will inevitably simply bounce the puck back to Buff, or Trouba, when pressured along the boards.

The defender on the !:3:1 (Carlsson) has to be skilled at walking the blueline, drawing players out of shooting lanes, and getting a hard accurate shot on net as a secondary or tertiary scoring threat.. He must also be able to make accurate passes to Backstrom and of course Ovechkin when opportune. Buff ,as much as I love the guy, just doesn`t think the game in this fashion - probably because he has functioned as a defender and PP pointman for only a few short years, with no coaching/game experience in this role in junior hockey or his formative pro years. His inclination is to just hammer the puck towards the net, with little thought to shooting lane issues or to potential tip- shot opportunities. Regrettably, cross ice passes to Laine also do not seem to be instinctive with Buff.

So, for those who ask whether the PP problems are the fault of the coaches or the players , I say both. The Jets do need a Backstrom-lite to QB the PP and take full advantage of Laine`s strengths.Right now, the only players who styllistically fit the mould are Perreault, Petan and Roslovic. We`re not there yet. The coaches for their part need to make much clearer to the PP units just what it is they are attempting to do tactically given the options inherent to the !:3:1. Intensive practise on a limited number of set plays (including how to efficiently enter and set up in the offensive zone) might accomplish a great deal.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Interesting? That seems unfair.
Laine had more PP goals at the beginning of the season then the rest of the team combined yet was relegated to the 2 team.
For a large chunk of the season his line was getting 40 seconds or less and 15 of that was used retrieving the puck from the own end when they first stepped on the ice.

There was also a stretch where Buff was taking EVERY shot he good despite Laine being wide open with a great lane to the net.

I wasn't a fan of Wheeler on the point.
Yes, he feathered a couple of wristers in from back there but he also fumbled the puck horribly at times. Wheeler with the puck and moving is a force. Wheeler standing still and handling the puck can at times be a nightmare.

If the Jets don't base their top PP unit around Laine this year it would be an indictment of the coaches. Other teams showed how badly they would cheat to his side when he was on the left point. If the other 4 players can't take advantage of that space then we will have big issues.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Laine got badly focused by every PK, and the only reason that was possible was because there was no scoring threat on the other side of the PP. The only reason Ovechkin PP works is because if the PK targets Ovi, like they did Laine, Backstrom will be there to punish it. And even with the treatment Laine got by PKs he lead the team in PP goals, so your criticism of Laine is very unfair imo.

Last edited:

warrenm

Jul 22, 2017
I think everyone can agree that the PP and PK have to get better next season...especially the PK. If you are the coach, what is your first and 2nd PP and PK?

1PP
Laine Scheif Buff Connor Morrissey
I think having Connor low RW and Laine on the left side would produce big time. Buff in front of the net wreaking havoc and Morrissey quarterbacking.

2PP
Ehlers Little Wheeler MP Trouba

1PK
Myers Kuli
Armia Lowry
Armia is well on his way to becoming a very good penalty killer and is always a threat to score on the PK.

2PK
Trouba Morrissey
Copp Scheif

I think the PK will improve with Mason in net. I think Helle will improve this year too but won't see near as many games.

I agree with the PK. The PP needs to flip Trouba and Morrissey. I think in time Morrissey has more offensive upside than Trouba but that is 2 years down the road. I also think Trouba needs his ego stroked to get his signature on a long term deal. Second unit PP time isn't going to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad