2017-2018 Special Teams

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think everyone can agree that the PP and PK have to get better next season...especially the PK. If you are the coach, what is your first and 2nd PP and PK?

1PP
Laine Scheif Buff Connor Morrissey
I think having Connor low RW and Laine on the left side would produce big time. Buff in front of the net wreaking havoc and Morrissey quarterbacking.

2PP
Ehlers Little Wheeler MP Trouba

1PK
Myers Kuli
Armia Lowry
Armia is well on his way to becoming a very good penalty killer and is always a threat to score on the PK.

2PK
Trouba Morrissey
Copp Scheif

I think the PK will improve with Mason in net. I think Helle will improve this year too but won't see near as many games.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think everyone can agree that the PP and PK have to get better next season...especially the PK. If you are the coach, what is your first and 2nd PP and PK?

1PP
Laine Scheif Buff Connor Morrissey
I think having Connor low RW and Laine on the left side would produce big time. Buff in front of the net wreaking havoc and Morrissey quarterbacking.

2PP
Ehlers Little Wheeler MP Trouba

1PK
Myers Kuli
Armia Lowry
Armia is well on his way to becoming a very good penalty killer and is always a threat to score on the PK.

2PK
Trouba Morrissey
Copp Scheif

I think the PK will improve with Mason in net. I think Helle will improve this year too but won't see near as many games.

Otherwise I agree with your special teams lineups, but is Morrissey really better as a power play quarterback than Trouba? I'm not sure myself, but would be interesting to know your opinion and also some points of why so, if it really is so.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He has been running the PP for m ost teams he has played for while coming up. He is just scrathing the surface as far as offense goes if you ask me.
Trouba is getting 2PP and 2PK time and he will be on the ice more than any other D man at even strength.
Remember, I said "if you are the coach."

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Otherwise I agree with your special teams lineups, but is Morrissey really better as a power play quarterback than Trouba? I'm not sure myself, but would be interesting to know your opinion and also some points of why so, if it really is so.

Morrissey should work his way into PP time but certainly not to start the season. Plus I'd like a RH shot to throw that pass across to Laine.

Buff will be the dman on the #1 unit.
The only way Trouba (or Morrissey) get any real time there early is if they throw Buff in front of the net and use a 2nd D man at the point.

As long as PP1 is built around Laine and Scheif then I'll be happy.

I'm also a big proponent of trying some longer shifts for Laine on the PP. Let him stay out 90 seconds if he doesn't get tired. 5 on 3 he should always be out the whole time.

Connor is unlikely to start higher than PP2 at the beginning of the season.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Connor would be on the 1st PP if I were coach. His shot from the RW is as accurate as Laine's.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
First sentence of OP...
"I think everyone can agree that the PP and PK have to get better next season...especially the PK. If you are the coach, what is your first and 2nd PP and PK?"

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
i agree, if i were the coach i'd definitely have connor on the 1st PP. he's deadly out there

laine, petan, connor, scheif and buff/Jmo/trouba should be the PP1. those are our best PP players IMO.

PP2 would be ehlers, little, perreault, wheeler and one of the remaining D

PK i'm not sure, maybe buff and kulikov/enstrom first then trouba Jmo second? for whatever reason trouba doesn't seem to do well on the PK. i think buff is our best PK'er by the numbers as weird as that sounds

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
i agree, if i were the coach i'd definitely have connor on the 1st PP. he's deadly out there

laine, petan, connor, scheif and buff/Jmo/trouba should be the PP1. those are our best PP players IMO.

PP2 would be ehlers, little, perreault, wheeler and one of the remaining D

PK i'm not sure, maybe buff and kulikov/enstrom first then trouba Jmo second? for whatever reason trouba doesn't seem to do well on the PK. i think buff is our best PK'er by the numbers as weird as that sounds

Buff is the one mostly in the box, so I wouldn't count too much on him in the regular pk-lineup.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As Ken Hitchcock has said on more than one occasion the critical number is 104. If your PP % and PK % add up to that number you are doing well. I don't care who or how they need to get results.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
PP1 tactic: umbrella
Lowry in front of the net (Also takes the faceoffs if Scheif still sucks in those)
Scheifele in the middle of the umbrella
Laine on onetimer like always
Connor on the other side ready for Laine to feed him with those cross ice passes
Trouba on blueline

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
PP1:
Laine- Chef-Wheeler
Perreault-Buff

Perrault be the set up guy for Laine/Buff, Wheeler working the boards/down low

PP2
Lowry-Little-Ehlers
Connor-Trouba

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Best set-up for the Jets is still the 1-3-1. If I were the coach I'd probably be inclined to teach them how to run the thing better.
PP1
Buff at the point,
Perreault right half wall
Laine left half wall
Scheif slot
Wheeler net front

Get the frickin' puck to Laine.

PP2 Umbrella

Trouba left point
Morrissey right point
Connor strong side forward
Little left net side
Ehlers right net side.

Get Morrissey to the middle of the ice, lots of options.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The powerplay is largely fixed I think. From December 1 through the end of the season, the Jets were converting at 20.3% and ranked 12th in the league. There's room for improvement, but it's not a disaster anymore I don't think.

The PK still sucks and showed no signs of improving. Not sure bringing in the league's worst 4v5 SV% goalie is going to help much either.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

He is pretty good in front of the net. Scored 15 lasts season. I want to have Laine, Scheif and Connor in the roles I said, so if we want to start a PP by winning a faceoff, Lowry is the best option.

Scheif 43.3FO%
Lowry 50.8FO%
Little 55.6FO% (but he doesn't play in front of the net and is needed in 2PP)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The powerplay is largely fixed I think. From December 1 through the end of the season, the Jets were converting at 20.3% and ranked 12th in the league. There's room for improvement, but it's not a disaster anymore I don't think.

The PK still sucks and showed no signs of improving. Not sure bringing in the league's worst 4v5 SV% goalie is going to help much either.

I agree, it is the PK that needs the most improvement and is the more important of the two.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He is pretty good in front of the net. Scored 15 lasts season. I want to have Laine, Scheif and Connor in the roles I said, so if we want to start a PP by winning a faceoff, Lowry is the best option.

Scheif 43.3FO%
Lowry 50.8FO%
Little 55.6FO% (but he doesn't play in front of the net and is needed in 2PP)

You bring up a valid point. Winning that first faceoff is always nice.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
One thing for sure I would be doing on the PK is trying to move to a much more aggressive style, and away from our passive box waving our sticks around hoping to break up a pass.

I'd try to put pressure on the puck earlier in the neutral zone as well.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015

i don't buy for a second that it's fixed until we start seeing some fundamental changes in the way it's run. we are more or less doing the same exact things with mostly the same exact players. i think luck may have been on our side last year if i were to guess. if we don't figure out how to move and think ahead to open up lanes and plays we will regress back down to our norm again i bet. for the most part we still look like sitting ducks, unsure what to do out there.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
i don't buy for a second that it's fixed until we start seeing some fundamental changes in the way it's run. we are more or less doing the same exact things with mostly the same exact players. i think luck may have been on our side last year if i were to guess. if we don't figure out how to move and think ahead to open up lanes and plays we will regress back down to our norm again i bet. for the most part we still look like sitting ducks, unsure what to do out there.

I agree with this. We have a pp that is still far too static with players not being put in optimum roles with players who compliment their skill sets.

I would like to see our coach derive the pp units next year based entirely on fit and compatibility. I'd like to see the kids who imo display superior puckmovement and creativity get more pp time.

The first unit should be based around Laine and how best to open his shot. For that you need people who think the game quickly and move the puck quickly.

Id have Morrissey up top as I feel he is more of a distributor than a shooter but unlike Toby he isn't afraid to shoot when needed to keep the PKers honest. Have Connor down low as he is a threat to shoot and pass with Perrault/Petan as the HB QB. Scheifele as the 2nd RS option from the slot and Laine in his office. The point is to move the puck around on the left side quickly to open up either of the two right shots with the fallback option being Connor walking in and shooting if Scheifele and Laine are overplayed.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I agree with this. We have a pp that is still far too static with players not being put in optimum roles are with complimentary players.

I would like to see our coach derive into a next year based entirely in fit and compatibility. I'd like to see the kids who imo display superior puckmovement and creativity get more pp time.

The first unit should be based around Laine and how best to open his shot. For that you need people who tho k the game quickly and move the puck quickly.

Id have Morrissey up top as I feel he is more of a distributor than a shooter but unlike Toby he isn't afraid to shoot when needed to keep the PKers honest. Have Connor down low as he is a threat to shoot and pass with Perrault/Petan as the HB QB. Scheifele as the 2nd RS option from the slot and Laine on his office. The point isnto move the puck around on the left side quicklybto open up either of the two right shots with the fallback option being Connor walking in and shooting if Scheifele and Laine are overplayed.

This in fact could really work. I wasn't thinking of this kind of a scenario before, but you made really good points with your PP lineup suggestion. Now please sell this to Maurice! :nod:

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

Frankly, he was excellent on the PP last year. Between scoring at the second highest rate, winning faceoffs and retrieving the puck behind the net he was an excellent screen as well. If only he could learn how to tip pucks....

Will it continue this year or was it simply sh% luck who knows. Maybe he has some innate ability to jam home loose. He had 40G in his last year of junior.

He's at least earned a spot on 1 of the 2 PPs

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This in fact could really work. I wasn't thinking of this kind of a scenario before, but you made really good points with your PP lineup suggestion. Now please sell this to Maurice! :nod:

Well Laine, Connor and Morrissey where trialed on the PP together last preseason by Kompon. Yes it was preseason but those where some of the best looking pp's that I have seen being run by this team. Excellent puck and player movement and Laine was able to get a number of good looks. Low and behold Moe comes back and it's right back to playing veterans and static puck and player movement. If left to his own devices I'm sure Kompon would go back to that trio plus another quick passer and an additional shooter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad