2017-2018 Laval Rocket and Brampton Beast Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
No. Im not against the name in itself and I appreciate that Maurice is honored this way. Im not surprised it won either. I just think it wouldve been a good opportunity to have a French name. French is still the language of Lavallois people, isnt it? Les Rapides is original as it has a double meaning related to geography AND hockey. Les Patriotes is kind of lame.

Not a bad name at all and people voted for it so who am I to disagree.

Language has no place

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No. Im not against the name in itself and I appreciate that Maurice is honored this way. Im not surprised it won either. I just think it wouldve been a good opportunity to have a French name. French is still the language of Lavallois people, isnt it? Les Rapides is original as it has a double meaning related to geography AND hockey. Les Patriotes is kind of lame.

Rapides de Laval also has... let's say, easily another connotation.

I would've had no problem with Les Patriotes myself.

As for "Rocket", everybody here (hell, nearly everyone in this province, whether they're interested in hockey or not) knows that it was Maurice Richard's nickname. It's one of the most well-knowns nicknames in the history of the sport itself.

The other well-known nickname is Le Gros Bill (slightly more French)... and I hopefully don't have to explain why Le Gros Bill de Laval is a... terrible idea?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Are people complaining that the Rocket is not French enough? :laugh:

Is there a way to have the stench of linguistic politics out of this thread and get it jettisoned to the lounge, just as was done for Sean Burke's character references?

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Maurice Richard isn't even from Laval, he's from Bordeaux. Les Rapides de Laval was the coolest name ever, for those who've been there's even an Hydro Dam on la Rivière des Prairies where the current is strong. It just doesn't make sense.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I'm from Laval and I approve the name :sarcasm:

I'm just happy for the new rink. Laval was due for one. Also looking forward to attend a few games and get to see some of our future players.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

You haven't set foot in Chomedey or Ste-Dorothée in a while, obviously.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
There are probably more people complaining about the people who are complaining about the name not being French than there are people complaining about the name not being French.

And even then I didnt say I didnt like the name, its pretty cool but it wouldve been a great opportunity to have a French name, thats all. I didnt "complain", but in this social media era not agreeing completely is labeled as "complaining" so be it.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Can't wait to see that day. The meltdown and crying will be legendary.

Why do you wish that? To get back at the people who think this? What does it achieves?

Last edited by a moderator:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

... I think dishonest, interested reporting (or ****porting, if you get my drift) will then become legendary, too.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Maurice Richard isn't even from Laval, he's from Bordeaux. Les Rapides de Laval was the coolest name ever, for those who've been there's even an Hydro Dam on la Rivière des Prairies where the current is strong. It just doesn't make sense.
You know how close Bordeaux is to Laval? It's a 2 min walk from where he grew up.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006

For about a week, and mostly by non hockey fans; then no one will talk about it because, like when Cunneyworth was chosen as interim head coach, most people don't give a **** about the coach. Hell, it's likely that most people who watch hockey don't even know who the current coach is.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The day that their criteria was a name that would make the link between Montréal and Laval, with the Rocket Richard and the Cosmodome, you know that the Rocket was the logical pick. I would have prefered the Patriotes or Blizzard as far as how cool it sounds....but when you have to find a "logic" behind it....Rocket was the only pick possible.

But they need to go as far as what the logo was. Colors will be Habs obviously, but you have to hope that logo will be much better than the old one.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's okay, a bit generic but it's the best one out of the those they had at the end. I'm more excited to see the logo and the uniform, hopefully they'll design something cool with it.

Pelle Lindbergh

Sep 9, 2006
Montreal
Laval Rocket Thread

Do you think they will show the logo, soon ? If they want to sell some marchandises for christmas, they better hurry up.
What kind of logo are you wishing for ? Are we keeping the habs jersey only switching a logo ?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Joel Bouchard will be the Rocket's coach

Don't shoot the messenger.....rumor coming from George Laraque at 91,9FM. Says that there was a meeting amongst city council members of Boisbriand as far as the Armada moving to somewhere else, and Joel Bouchard becoming the first coach of the Laval Rocket. Said that the info is coming from one of his friends.

Note that towards the end he says "thank you to my friend and IF it happens, it will be coming first from our radio station". So nothing suggest as if it was going to happen.....but Laraque has been right before. And yeah, I know....wrong too.

But if it happens...it will be great news.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
we'll see what happens, I know there was talk over the summer that Lefebvre was just a placeholder until the new move as getting a new coach for a year or two might not have been easy to sell them on going to St John's. Not saying I bought into it, but in the end I don't care, just want Lefebvre gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad