Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
just so im clear we really got lucky with sokolov & kaprizov. our gmcf & scout staff are not geniuses correct?
Yes, everyone knows that geniuses are not allowed to get lucky. Show me the greatest GM in the history of hockey, and I can still show you multiple bad picks every single year that he drafted players.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Because we didn't believe they had that much talent.

Probably this, but even if the Wild did believe they had that much talent, why draft them higher than you need to? Seems more like the move someone would make if they wanted people to think they were smart, rather than actually being the smart move.

Also (not directed at you Jan), I'm not sure Sokolov is what I would call a "jackpot" yet. He's got a lot of promise, but the concerns people have had with him aren't about his scoring. I can't shake the feeling that he may be more snake oil than wonder drug. But I would love to be wrong!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Probably this, but even if the Wild did believe they had that much talent, why draft them higher than you need to? Seems more like the move someone would make if they wanted people to think they were smart, rather than actually being the smart move.

Because you don't know what 30 other teams are thinking.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Because you don't know what 30 other teams are thinking.
Agreed, which is why it's a gamble. The draft itself is a gamble. You draft a player not knowing what they'll be, and you have multiple guys you like, and every time you don't pick them you're gambling that nobody else will. On that day they might have believed Kaprizov might be really good, but they didn't know if he'd come over to North America, and none of the other teams did either. So you draft him late and hope nobody else does. The point I'm making is... why use a 1st, 2nd or 3rd on guys like that when there are guys with reasonable skill and less question marks still available? I can understand an argument for drafting him in the 4th, but... that's just one round earlier. That late in the draft there are more question marks than answers about every single prospect on the board. Getting upset because we didn't draft him 30 spots earlier seems silly. Clearly luck plays a huge role in the draft, no matter how good your scouts are.

Kaprizov was a big gamble type of player. You don't draft that kind of thing early.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He might've pushed, and the Wild might've said no. He is on no ones radar as an elite prospect.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Sokolov hits 50 goals for the year. He wasn't exactly doing terrible with Sudbury, but he's been putting up crazy numbers with Barrie.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I feel like we should be more excited about him, but both his draft position, and the Wild's comments about him after training camp have tempered enthusiasm. Probably for the best.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I feel like we should be more excited about him, but both his draft position, and the Wild's comments about him after training camp have tempered enthusiasm. Probably for the best.
I'm excited about him, but I'm curious to see how he does for a full season in Iowa. That should be a much better indicator of what we can expect out of him.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Belpedio played his first game with Iowa yesterday. Don't know how much he played but zeroes on the board.

Also, Kahkonen's season is done. He was one of the better goalies in Liiga this season and has said will come to NA next season. Not sure if he's in Wild's plans though.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Belpedio played his first game with Iowa yesterday. Don't know how much he played but zeroes on the board.

Also, Kahkonen's season is done. He was one of the better goalies in Liiga this season and has said will come to NA next season. Not sure if he's in Wild's plans though.

If he isn't, he should be. The Wild's goalie pipeline has been horrendous the last 10 years. I have no idea why they wouldn't tender their best prospect at the position since Josh Harding a contract.

Reactions: 57special
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad