2017-18 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Interesting times in Carolina. "Couldn't make a deal" immediately makes me think those reports of them trying to be cheap are accurate. That's what, three guys who have taken themselves out of the running and now no Greeley either?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No GM contract signed yet, possibly?

I still feel like there might be more behind the scenes than what's currently being talked about. I know that Dubas is very much about analytics and Hunter is very much old-school, and that the two of them have butted heads before. Now, mind you, I think it's good to have some conflict in the room, you can't have one guy surrounded by a bunch of yes-men, but I don't know if Hunter sees himself working under Dubas, and vice-versa.

Then again, maybe it's nothing and they just need to formalize the deal like you say.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I still feel like there might be more behind the scenes than what's currently being talked about. I know that Dubas is very much about analytics and Hunter is very much old-school, and that the two of them have butted heads before. Now, mind you, I think it's good to have some conflict in the room, you can't have one guy surrounded by a bunch of yes-men, but I don't know if Hunter sees himself working under Dubas, and vice-versa.

Then again, maybe it's nothing and they just need to formalize the deal like you say.

Some in the media have speculated that if Dubas or Hunter gets the job, the one who doesn't likely won't be there anymore.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Interesting times in Carolina. "Couldn't make a deal" immediately makes me think those reports of them trying to be cheap are accurate. That's what, three guys who have taken themselves out of the running and now no Greeley either?

The problem is probably not the money but the fact that Dundon (reportedly) wants to control the team including some aspects of hockey ops. This won't please the "true" hockey guys.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The problem is probably not the money but the fact that Dundon (reportedly) wants to control the team including overlooking hockey ops. This won't please the "true" hockey guys.

That wouldn't please anyone, unless it's someone who is just desperate for a chance.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just saw a tweet from Chris Johnston that Ottawa was one ball away from winning the lottery.

They were real close. When they draw the last ball Ottawa had 3 chances to win and Buffalo had 2.

Also, Buffalo won the #1 and the #3 picks so they had to redraw the #3. It's the first time that the same team wins two picks.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jeff O'Neil explained that Francis had his hands so tied by previous ownership (because of money) that hockey trades were almost impossible to make, which is why he had to keep all his young players until they manage to sell the team.

I kind of feel bad that I talked shit about his legendary inactivity now.

Also, weird timing to fire him and losing Nieuwendyk right after winning a lottery pick.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Tragic Diagnosis They Already Knew: Their Brother Died With C.T.E.

This is why hits like the one Wilson delivered need to be out of the game.

CTE is sad and things should be done to avoid it, but given the information that is coming to light... you'd have to take every bit of physicality out of the game. Subconcussive hits are likely as bad, if not a bigger problem than the big hits. Simply because they happen so often and players continue to play through them. Probably the best thing that can be done for CTE is eliminate contact until later ages. Even waiting until 13/14 would make a huge difference.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
CTE is sad and things should be done to avoid it, but given the information that is coming to light... you'd have to take every bit of physicality out of the game. Subconcussive hits are likely as bad, if not a bigger problem than the big hits. Simply because they happen so often and players continue to play through them. Probably the best thing that can be done for CTE is eliminate contact until later ages. Even waiting until 13/14 would make a huge difference.
I'm sure it would, but it does sound like a lot of work would have to go into clean hitting and receiving a hit at that point.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister

That's probably the way to go. You protect players while their brains are still developing, as well as take away some of the culture of big hits, while still leaving physicality as a part of the game.
I know some fans just want to see guys get leveled and what not, but at this point, it's become more than a little perverse. I jump through a few personal moral hoops as it is to watch hockey, but when you add in the fact that I'm basically cheering on a bunch of guys sacrificing their well-being just so I can be distracted for a few hours a week....well, it doesn't sit well with me.
I took a lot of hits to the noggin as a kid and a teenager and got my bell rung a few times in my 20's. Never thought much of it, but the older I get the more I wonder just how much those things messed with me. My concentration just gets worse and worse, as does my short-term memory, and I get...um..."irritable" a lot easier over the smallest frustrations. And that's just from playing rec league sports and a few scraps or accidents. Nothing compared to what pros have gone through all their lives. Which isn't to say every player will end up addled and confused (or worse). Some guys might be able to take it better than others. But we know so little of it now.

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That eliminates a lot of sports besides just hockey, hell football has concussions when players conduct accidental contact when two players are jumping for the ball from corners and free kicks.

It seems that players take the risk since rugby is one of the fastest growing sports in North America.

That's probably the way to go. You protect players while their brains are still developing, as well as take away some of the culture of big hits, while still leaving physicality as a part of the game.

I know some fans just want to see guys get leveled and what not, but at this point, it's become more than a little perverse. I jump through a few personal moral hoops as it is to watch hockey, but when you add in the fact that I'm basically cheering on a bunch of guys sacrificing their well-being just so I can be distracted for a few hours a week....well, it doesn't sit well with me.

I took a lot of hits to the noggin as a kid and a teenager and got my bell rung a few times in my 20's. Never thought much of it, but the older I get the more I wonder just how much those things messed with me. My concentration just gets worse and worse, as does my short-term memory, and I get...um..."irritable" a lot easier over the smallest frustrations. And that's just from playing rec league sports and a few scraps or accidents. Nothing compared to what pros have gone through all their lives. Which isn't to say every player will end up addled and confused (or worse). Some guys might be able to take it better than others. But we know so little of it now.
This is a really stupid opinion because players know the risks, majority of these lads aren't being forced to go out there or risk getting beatin' like Patrick Sullivan. I'm all for protecting players though and one of the best ways I am starting to think about more and more is changing the material for the boards. Perhaps give the boards a bit of leeway or add in a gel layer beyond the plastic. Hell, I am up for even putting a couple of inches of rubber foam instead of plastic. All there is now is just a metal frame with plastic, simply not good enough.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Wadell is a bad choice, considering they will have heavy owner influence. He's experienced and has good relations around the league.

Reactions: cgf

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Shit GM and shit coach. But then again, no serious GM candidate would accept to be Dundon's puppet.

As for Brind'Amour, former star players with no previous headcoach experience have a failure rate of 100% when coaching in the NHL.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
**** GM and **** coach. But then again, no serious GM candidate would accept to be Dundon's puppet.

As for Brind'Amour, former star players with no previous headcoach experience have a failure rate of 100% when coaching in the NHL.

I thought Doug Weight was an elite coach :sarcasm:

Reactions: Foppberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad