Post-Game Talk: 2017-18 Around the League Thread | Luca Sbisa, Stanley Cup Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Senators were 1 goal away of being in the Stanley Cup finals last year. This year, the owners/management group did a lot of mistakes and the fans reacted.

Melnyk Out billboards are up

Didn't see Friedman doing some rounds of positivity there. And how about fans in Vancouver doing something along these lines?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I'm so happy that VGK is absolutely killing it right now. The fact they assembled a (likely) 100 point regular season team using other team's castoffs just completely invalidates the garbage "if Stanton is so good why hasn't other teams signed him" type argument from Jimbo fans.

Reactions: PM, MS and timw33

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
There are no other options as far as they're concerned...I'd say its a given that next years Flames are going to look very much like this years....All they will do is shuffle some bottom six forwards around.
I mean that’s just the process of building out a good team, they have a lot of the core parts already. Not sure why people are down on them that much. They are way closer than we are and god I hate Calgary.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Calgary reminds me of the 2007-08 Canucks. Just had a lot of shit go wrong, but if they get another breakout from their stars, watch out.

I think their offseason plan should be to get a young 1B type backup (Grubauer) to platoon with Smith, move Brodie while his reputation league wide is still high, and possibly add a RW in free agency (James Neal would be a wicked fit for them).

A couple changes and that's a high seed playoff team. They're in an incredibly envious position compared to us.

I'm so happy that VGK is absolutely killing it right now. The fact they assembled a (likely) 100 point regular season team using other team's castoffs just completely invalidates the garbage "if Stanton is so good why hasn't other teams signed him" type argument from Jimbo fans.

Nah, that won't stop them. I've already heard two people (one Nucks fan one not) say "lol Sbisa is good enough for Vegas, guess he wasn't so bad then lol"

Reactions: dim jim

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I didn’t know Sbisa was a Mormon.
Really? Ne neither to each their own i guess

I thought he got too hard of a ride by Canucks fans its not his falt he was overpaid by the leagues worst GM. Who wouldnt have taken that contract? I still think hes a third pairing guy probably closer to a #6 then a #5

Reactions: vancityluongo

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'm so happy that VGK is absolutely killing it right now. The fact they assembled a (likely) 100 point regular season team using other team's castoffs just completely invalidates the garbage "
....of "Benning can't be faulted for anything because he inherited a bare prospect cupboard". Wtf prospect board did McPhee inherit? That said, I will admit, that before this season, I would've ranked Benning above McPhee in terms of GM ability.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I mean that’s just the process of building out a good team, they have a lot of the core parts already. Not sure why people are down on them that much. They are way closer than we are and god I hate Calgary.
The thing is
Most of their "core" are overrated, they are just no that good, the so call best D core in the league is mediocre and getting older. Yet people,will keep defending them for some reason

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The thing is
Most of their "core" are overrated, they are just no that good, the so call best D core in the league is mediocre and getting older. Yet people,will keep defending them for some reason
The point about "getting older", yeah humans tend to do that. The only really old guy is Giordano, the rest of the D are in their prime or are about to enter their prime. I don't think they have that true #1 guy but Hamonic, Brodie, Hamilton and Stone (purposely leaving out Giordano because of age) can be a really good top4.

I don't think their problem is defense though, it's mostly their forward depth, the lack of a good true 2nd line center and goalies being really average to below average. Forward depth is a hell lot easier to fix, they can pray for Bennet to suddenly rediscover his 18 year old playoff form or get a 2nd line center through trade or UFA. Too lazy to check on what their cap is like but their roster doesn't look like it should be that crazy expensive so they should be able to pay for one in the UFA market, even if it's just a short term 1-3 year stop gap solution.

Of course I would rather see them not fix their goalie and not fix their forward depth.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I mean if they want to be a true contender, they want like a Horvat kind of guy on their 2nd line.
Backlund is fine if you have an elite #1 center to carry you. Monahan is very good but I don't think he will ever be mistaken for an elite #1 center that is going to carry you deep in the playoffs.

Calgary either needs to upgrade on Monahan or find a complimentry 1b type center. Monahan/Backlund duo is good but it's not good enough to win a stanley cup.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
calgary to me are like a middle of the pack whl team with no first round picks on the squad. except for gaudreau, they lack poise, finesse and patience but can beat you under relying on brute force and the rush.

i can see them getting on a streaky run, but to me they are a busted core that will languish unless tkachuk can take another step.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Larry Kwong, the only Chinese-Canadian who had ever played in the nhl passed away today.
The guy served in the Canadian Military during war time. Only got to play 1 games with the Rangers and then got released (mostly due to racism)
Spent his career in the QHL, was a star in that league.

Last edited:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Larry Kwong, the only Chinese-Canadian who has ever played in the nhl passed away today.
The guy served in the Canadian Military during war time. Only got to play 1 games with the Rangers and then got released (mostly due to racism)
Spent his career in the QHL, was a star in that league.
Thanks for the update, sad to hear. Trail Smoke Eaters alumni

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Looking around the league, there could be a lot of coaches on the hot seat after the season. Gulutzan, McLellan, Vigneault, Quenneville... never know what Melnyk chooses to do, so maybe Boucher too. Gotta imagine regardless of what happens to Holland that Jeff Blashill isn't that secure. Detroit is 0-9-1 in their last 10... maybe if Minnesota falls out or is eliminated quickly Boudreau is out too. Same for Torts.

Aside from Torts 2.0 and maybe Gully 2.0, I would take any of those guys over Green.

Edit: Actually, I would for sure take Torts 2.0. How f***ing fun would that be?!

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Backlund is fine if you have an elite #1 center to carry you. Monahan is very good but I don't think he will ever be mistaken for an elite #1 center that is going to carry you deep in the playoffs.

Calgary either needs to upgrade on Monahan or find a complimentry 1b type center. Monahan/Backlund duo is good but it's not good enough to win a stanley cup.
I think to be a contender, you really need like at least 2 guys that are Art Ross, Norris, Vezina level. Look at Pitts, Tampa, Nashville and former cup winners.

Flames have only 1 guy that can be at that level so to makeup for it, they need depth depth depth. So that’s why I think they need another 60pt 2nd line center to really compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad