Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
They won't rebuild, they will retool.
But to be honest, their drafting in recent years has been meh at best.
Plus you have that Price contract for the next 10 years.

And they traded one of their best drafts Sergachev for a meddling winger who's forced to play center.

And they are trying to run Galchenyuk a proven 30 goal player out of town.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
As I think of it, Montreal in the past have traded away developed defensemen who are just entering their prime for not so much in return (or somewhat equal value but that does not net results)

Langway, Chelios, Desjardins and now Subban.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Fun fact...last night Blues d-men scored more goals then the Canucks 6 that were dressed have scored all year.....
The guy that we dealt Forsling for put up 11 points last season (which would rank him 5th with respect to points on the Canucks blueline last season) in only 31 NHL games.....for the Yotes.

Brandon Sutter....future HHOFer.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
As I think of it, Montreal in the past have traded away developed defensemen who are just entering their prime for not so much in return (or somewhat equal value but that does not net results)

Langway, Chelios, Desjardins and now Subban.

McDonagh before Subban and Sergachev after Subban.

Seems like they hate defense and love tiny forwards.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I had a really scary thought last night.

Currently - the Oilers are 2nd last in the Western Conference and tied with Florida for the 4th overall worst record in the league. Unless they get their act together really quickly, there is a good chance they will miss the playoffs.

Q: What happens when the Oilers miss the playoffs?

A: They win the draft lottery.

McDavid, Puljujarvi, Draisaitl, Nurse and Rasmus Dahlin! :eek:

How much would that suck?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Golden Knights doing it again....3-0 in the first against the Kings. Quick with some stinkers.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

Currently - the Oilers are 2nd last in the Western Conference and tied with Florida for the 4th overall worst record in the league. Unless they get their act together really quickly, there is a good chance they will miss the playoffs.

wait until they win the draft lottery the year after that

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

Weird how you’d include nurse lol

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Which GMs do you consider “new age”? How long have they been around?

I read somewhere that all of the cup winning goalies in the 40’s and 50’s played with no masks. Maybe we should try that?
How is Arizona's gm doing how about the previous florida gm. There are a lot of posters who seem to think most gm's are dumb and that if younger stats savy gms were put in charge they would dominate. What they do not account for is how quickly the dinosaurs evolve.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
How is Arizona's gm doing how about the previous florida gm. There are a lot of posters who seem to think most gm's are dumb and that if younger stats savy gms were put in charge they would dominate. What they do not account for is how quickly the dinosaurs evolve.

No, nobody thinks this. They likely think it helps make better decisions in the long run but in 2-3 years? No one can turn the Titanic around overnight, short of winning a generational player in the lottery.

Maybe give these GMs the same 10 years that you used to pull all the cup winning teams from, eh? I mean unless you think it’s fair to list cup winners from a decade ago when analytics weren’t even a thing.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
No, nobody thinks this. They likely think it helps make better decisions in the long run but in 2-3 years? No one can turn the Titanic around overnight, short of winning a generational player in the lottery.

Maybe give these GMs the same 10 years that you used to pull all the cup winning teams from, eh? I mean unless you think it’s fair to list cup winners from a decade ago when analytics weren’t even a thing.

But then they will be older and more experienced GMs. If they last that long.

I think Arizona was stupid to turn the reigns over to a 26 year old with virtually no experience.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
But then they will be older and more experienced GMs. If they last that long.

I think Arizona was stupid to turn the reigns over to a 26 year old with virtually no experience.

Well there’s 30 (now 31) teams and 27-28 are run by “old school” GMs who have been around for the entirety of the past decade vs 2-3 “analytics” GMs who have been on the scene for the last 3-4 years only.

Is it really surprising that the “old school” GMs have won all the cups? The odds are kinda in their favour here, no?

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Well there’s 30 (now 31) teams and 27-28 are run by “old school” GMs who have been around for the entirety of the past decade vs 2-3 “analytics” GMs who have been on the scene for the last 3-4 years only.

Is it really surprising that the “old school” GMs have won all the cups? The odds are kinda in their favour here, no?
Or it could be that analytics are overrated on this site?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Chayka floundering this year really has a certain crowd giddy about analytics failing but nobody was claiming he'd be batting 1.000 and winning multiple Cups. Rational people would only suggest that he'd over time become one of the better managers in the league. I'd trade our entire organization for theirs in a f***ing second, so that still holds.

Where being 26 years old has hurt Chayka is in the relationship/management side of things. Tocchet looks like a poor hire - not surprisingly, hiring a coach cannot be done with statistics. That's where a Jim Rutherford, Lou Lam or similar "dinosaur" has an advantage through pure life experience.

Steve Yzerman getting to learn from a dinosaur in Holland has made him the best GM in the league. I have no doubt that someone like Kyle Dubas will become an elite GM once he takes the reins somewhere. Stats aren't everything, but you're a fool if you think that Ron Delorme style gut feel guys have a very long shelf life in the sport.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
May be worth mentioning that the new school way the Panthers operated the last bit might just have been hampered somewhat by a basically never healthy Barkov and injured Huberdeau last season. The new GM, who is also the old old GM and less inclined to look at analytics isn't fairing so well despite Barkov and Huberdeau off to great starts. He allowed a lot of depth to bleed away and it shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad