Post-Game Talk: 2017-18 Around the League Thread | Luca Sbisa, Stanley Cup Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Remember Pettersson's empty net goal in the SHL playoffs and people said he'd get destroyed if he was that lackadaisical in the NHL? Well...did u see Nosek's empty netter there? He sure didn't get destroyed.

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Vegas' success just shines a light on how dumb the majority of GMs are in the league. There's a huge need for revolution and change.

But sadly old school hockey culture may be too dumb to realize it. Like an incompetent person being unable to understand what being competent is.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Fun game to watch. Wilson doing Wilson things. Late hit, based on his rep and his suspensions already I want to say I'd be surprised if the league didn't look at a suspension but you know spinning wheel and all.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I'm torn. My brother-in-law is a huge Penguins fan and despises the Capitals and Ovechkin so it's tempting to cheer for them. On the other hand, I see the Golden Knights as being a representation of the NHL owners greed and now they are getting what they deserve. Also, it's good to see the NHL attract new fans and maybe get out to a better start in the desert than the Coyotes did.

So many GM's got caught with all their stupid NMC's and had to expose good players to protect bad ones or make extortionate trades to make sure their gems didn't get claimed. In some cases they made some terrible evaluations of talent. I'm sure not many GM's will be anxious to hand out NMC's with Seattle being almost a foregone conclusion for 2020/2021. They were a good way to keep the AAV down by giving the players job security, but if the NHL continues expanding beyond Seattle they will have more downside. I expect it to be tougher for Seattle, as teams adjust to the expansion rules.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Still pulling for the Caps but I wont mind if Vegas wins. What a fantastic game that was, the NHL of my dreams, hope we get 6+ more games of this.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm torn. My brother-in-law is a huge Penguins fan and despises the Capitals and Ovechkin so it's tempting to cheer for them. On the other hand, I see the Golden Knights as being a representation of the NHL owners greed and now they are getting what they deserve. Also, it's good to see the NHL attract new fans and maybe get out to a better start in the desert than the Coyotes did.

So many GM's got caught with all their stupid NMC's and had to expose good players to protect bad ones or make extortionate trades to make sure their gems didn't get claimed. In some cases they made some terrible evaluations of talent. I'm sure not many GM's will be anxious to hand out NMC's with Seattle being almost a foregone conclusion for 2020/2021. They were a good way to keep the AAV down by giving the players job security, but if the NHL continues expanding beyond Seattle they will have more downside. I expect it to be tougher for Seattle, as teams adjust to the expansion rules.

I don't see the point of further expansion after Seattle. 32 teams = 16 team conference, 8 playoff teams per conference. The symmetry is great.

BUT

32 teams is getting to the point (probably well past it) you are going to have wait a LONG LONG LONG time to see a cup for many teams. And if you've got one, well you next one could be 100 years away. Too me that is going to kill interest to some degree when people start realising they are probably going to die without seeing one.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Vegas' success just shines a light on how dumb the majority of GMs are in the league. There's a huge need for revolution and change.

But sadly old school hockey culture may be too dumb to realize it. Like an incompetent person being unable to understand what being competent is.

With the copy cat nature of this league in general, lets hope people like our GM start becoming the "old way" and the more analytic speed driven scoring teams take over.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I don't see the point of further expansion after Seattle. 32 teams = 16 team conference, 8 playoff teams per conference. The symmetry is great.

BUT

32 teams is getting to the point (probably well past it) you are going to have wait a LONG LONG LONG time to see a cup for many teams. And if you've got one, well you next one could be 100 years away. Too me that is going to kill interest to some degree when people start realising they are probably going to die without seeing one.
yeah I think a lot of sport leagues are expanding too much and it will result in a lot of dead markets. League needs to start contracting the weak sisters if anything.

After Seattle you will have 16 non playoff teams a year and that will create a lot of apathy in a sport that is low on the hierarchy in the states. There will be a lot of extensive playoff (and cup) draughts that will absolutely kill franchise stability in american markets that can't sustain canuck levels of ineptitude.

I really miss the days where the NHL had 24 teams and tanking didn't have to be the only strategy. You either made the playoffs or you got a Top 10 pick (and if you finished 8th in the conference you could still pick in the Top 10). All these extra teams means that it's harder to make the playoffs and there's more competition trying to tank.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I like how Gallant could have done the predictable thing in camp and said “ok boys the only way we have a chance to be competitive is by trapping the hell out of teams.”

Instead he said “boys you know when you’re down a couple late and you just go balls to the wall to try to get back in it? That’s how we are going to play every god damn shift this year”

Reactions: daddyohsix

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

This is silly. George McPhee is an old school gm. Jimmy Rutherford is an old school gm. There are only a couple gm's from outside the normal fold and there is no evidence that outsiders would do better. In general hockey men are likely hired for the same reason law men are hired to be judges. They know a lot about hockey and managing other people. As a owner would you give your 400 million dollar business to new person to experiment with. Are owners dumb as well? Not sure where your confidence comes from on this issue, I think you underestimate old hockey minds ability to adapt.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
I enjoyed that game a lot. Vegas is pissing off a whole lot of hockey fans, and it's a lot of fun to see.
Not pissing me off. The hockey has been great and then I also get entertained watching people post their sh!t and say how all the leagues GMs suck and that hfboards posters could run teams effectively

Reactions: Nomobo

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Was already cheering for Washington, but seeing the narrative of Vegas exposing how horrendous most teams manage their cap slowly turning into the redemption of George McPhee is a little bit gross.

This is silly. George McPhee is an old school gm. Jimmy Rutherford is an old school gm. There are only a couple gm's from outside the normal fold and there is no evidence that outsiders would do better.

Correlation =/ Causation

You don't know this until there are more GM's from outside the normal fold.

In general hockey men are likely hired for the same reason law men are hired to be judges. They know a lot about hockey and managing other people. As a owner would you give your 400 million dollar business to new person to experiment with. Are owners dumb as well? Not sure where your confidence comes from on this issue, I think you underestimate old hockey minds ability to adapt.

No, it's not at all like law men being judges. It's like picking from the pool of the best mechanics at General Motors and naming them regional director of sales (responsible for multiple salespeople) because they know cars.

And yeah, it's a little shocking that owner's hand their 700M businesses for completely new, inexperienced guys like Trevor Linden to experiment with!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I love seeing how well Vegas is playing, not only because I feel a connection to the city due to how often I travel down there, but also because it really shows up how stupid some GM's in the league really are. It's hilarious to see members of the media whining about how the deck was stacked in their favour. Nobody complained about that a year ago when the rules were announced. The deck was not stacked in their favour at all. Vegas was simply given an opportunity to draft a decent team, and they got lucky on a few guys (who saw this from Karlsson??? or even Haula), took advantage of some idiot GM's like Tallon, and had the perfect storm where a very good goalie like Fleury was available (and other GM's weren't willing to pay Pittsburgh to get him).

Vegas also has a very good prospect stable. I would actually take their prospect stable over what the Canucks have, to be honest. Especially if you include all the draft picks they have in future drafts. They're set-up very well now and going forward into the future, all because some GM's overthought things and paid Vegas to take some good players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad