2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nashville would have had to want Eberle and be willing to protect him to make that trade.

No they leave him unprotected and Vegas takes him. Makes no difference to Nashville as they lose Neal either way, but we could've added in a pick to make it worth their while. If you're gonna lose the player either way, may as well get an extra pick out of it.

North

Jun 25, 2009
No they leave him unprotected and Vegas takes him. Makes no difference to Nashville as they lose Neal either way, but we could've added in a pick to make it worth their while. If you're gonna lose the player either way, may as well get an extra pick out of it.

What if Vegas decides they don't want Eberle and then Nashville is stuck with a player they don't want?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What if Vegas decides they don't want Eberle and then Nashville is stuck with a player they don't want?
Most likely scenario.

Even if we get Neal he could then walk after a year and we're left with nothing in return for Eberle rather than a young, controllable asset who is producing at a rate worth his deal.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Most likely scenario.

Even if we get Neal he could then walk after a year and we're left with nothing in return for Eberle rather than a young, controllable asset who is producing at a rate worth his deal.
The best idea would've been to just.... not trade Eberle. Especially if Strome was the best thing you could get back.

North

Jun 25, 2009
The best idea would've been to just.... not trade Eberle. Especially if Strome was the best thing you could get back.

Hoping that he returned to form even though his confidence was gone?

Then you have a player that is even harder to unload and you may not even get Strome back. You may have to retain in order to move him or settle for a later draft pick.

Eberle's play damaged his value. That's completely on Eberle. His contract further eroded his value.

Reactions: nabob

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hoping that he returned to form even though his confidence was gone?

Then you have a player that is even harder to unload and you may not even get Strome back. You may have to retain in order to move him or settle for a later draft pick.

Eberle's play damaged his value. That's completely on Eberle. His contract further eroded his value.
Even in a down year Eberle still managed 50 points. I'd take that everyday over whatever Strome has to offer (which is cap space and nothing). The Oilers gave up a valuable player and got dick in return. And if you have to retain that's not the worst thing in the world.

The Oilers really need to stop trading players at their absolutely worst value. I thought we were done with that garbage. Instead Eberle and Barzal are lighting it up on the Island and the Oilers are pushing the basement.

If Strome was your best return then don't make the trade. We're not in cap trouble this year.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Even in a down year Eberle still managed 50 points. I'd take that everyday over whatever Strome has to offer (which is cap space and nothing). The Oilers gave up a valuable player and got dick in return. And if you have to retain that's not the worst thing in the world.

The Oilers really need to stop trading players at their absolutely worst value. I thought we were done with that garbage. Instead Eberle and Barzal are lighting it up on the Island and the Oilers are pushing the basement.

If Strome was your best return then don't make the trade. We're not in cap trouble this year.

Strome hasn't really been put in a position to succeed until recently.

You keep saying we can't trade players at their lowest point like there was a certainty that Eberle could recover his value while still with the Oilers and that isn't certain.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Nah, one large positive of trading Eberle is that it has created a spot for Puljujarvi to emerge as a better option than Eberle has been in the last couple of years.

Getting a playing who shows good chemistry with McDavid and is producing into the lineup as well as a guy who's playing good 3rd line minutes for a player who was putting up the numbers Eberle did before he left is a win. Plus we got cap space ;)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

So your solution is to keep playing players who don't produce in the hopes that they'll improve? You'd love our current team that isn't producing wins then, maybe we should keep Talbot in the bench and play LB every game in hopes he'll improve to increase his value.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Honestly, while we do miss his streaky offence (and only against weak competition), even if Eberle was here, i doubt he would try hard. He was checked out.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So your solution is to keep playing players who don't produce in the hopes that they'll improve? You'd love our current team that isn't producing wins then, maybe we should keep Talbot in the bench and play LB every game in hopes he'll improve to increase his value.
Eberle scored 50 points last year... that's not producing?

What does Strome do? You say he's not being put into a position to succeed but where do you slot a 30 point player?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Honestly, while we do miss his streaky offence (and only against weak competition), even if Eberle was here, i doubt he would try hard. He was checked out.
He was basically offering the Justin Shultz defense for his bad play here. Not sure it would have improved but he was better than Strome.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Eberle scored 50 points last year... that's not producing?

What does Strome do? You say he's not being put into a position to succeed but where do you slot a 30 point player?

50 points on the 1st line RW at $6M
30 points playing W/C on the 3rd line at $2.5M

What's better value. I'll take the more versatile and better two way player + cap space.

Don't believe I ever said that he isn't being put in a position to succeed. He is succeeding in the position he has been put in. The same wouldn't have been able to have been said about Ebs. If he is playing all ofnesive minutes then he's a detriment to the team while on the ice.

Also keep in mind that assembling a hockey team isn't as simple as you seem to make it out to be. A team full of Eberle's from last season would get their asses handed to them by every other team in the league. Teams need balance.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

So since Strome is struggling I guess you'd be in favor of keeping him around until he returns to the form of a 50+ point player again...

Reactions: North

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
So what is Matthews injury anyways?

What happened to Nylander and Marner and co? Thought they had like 5-6 60+ point players..

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
50 points on the 1st line RW at $6M
30 points playing W/C on the 3rd line at $2.5M

What's better value. I'll take the more versatile and better two way player + cap space.

Don't believe I ever said that he isn't being put in a position to succeed. He is succeeding in the position he has been put in. The same wouldn't have been able to have been said about Ebs. If he is playing all ofnesive minutes then he's a detriment to the team while on the ice.

Also keep in mind that assembling a hockey team isn't as simple as you seem to make it out to be. A team full of Eberle's from last season would get their asses handed to them by every other team in the league. Teams need balance.

By 'versatile' you mean 'doesn't excel in any one area' ? I also think Ryan Strome's two-way acumen is way overrated in here too. I don't remember who said it but one of the guys on twitter (Friedman?) said that people these days tend to give players the 'two-way' moniker to guys who are not very good at scoring and to an extent I agree with that. Definitely seems to be true with Strome anyhow (and it has been the case with RNH at times too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad