2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Compared to what......I mean how would the oilers fans know a good gm?

Even this spectacular failure is better than anything in the past 12 years prior to last year.
That's not saying much. He's the best of a bad bunch and even then he's digging himself lower.

There are lots of competent organizations around the league to look at.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
That's not saying much. He's the best of a bad bunch and even then he's digging himself lower.

There are lots of competent organizations around the league to look at.

I dont know.

Look at the guys hes added. Even just the prospects. Theyre all fairly respectable.

Performance wasnt good. Talbot wasnt good. As bad as trades were he still recruits to improve "system" depth decently. Imo.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I dont know.

Look at the guys hes added. Even just the prospects. Theyre all fairly respectable.

Performance wasnt good. Talbot wasnt good. As bad as trades were he still recruits to improve "system" depth decently. Imo.
Practically every player brought in by Chiarelli had an awful year this season.

And until those prospects pan out, they're just prospects. We've all gotten too hype about Omarks and the like before.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

And until those prospects pan out, they're just prospects. We've all gotten too hype about Omarks and the like before.

Yes. Omark wasnt an full regiment of prospect depth improvement. I appreciate its tough to judge I think its the deepest system in years in short order.

Injury and luck played a b8g role in the players numbers being down. Some bad coaching, reffing and players in there too.....

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
before I logged in from work today I looked at the main discussion board--saw a bunch of oiler baiting threads--when I logged in they all vanished--love the fact it is the same posters trying to bait us all the time--the ignore function is great sometimes

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
before I logged in from work today I looked at the main discussion board--saw a bunch of oiler baiting threads--when I logged in they all vanished--love the fact it is the same posters trying to bait us all the time--the ignore function is great sometimes

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
it's surreal that they are even in the finals, and got there with only 3 losses.

I stated at the time that the Sharks taking the Knights to 6 games was a better result than thought and especially doing it without Joe Thornton. The Knights swept the Kings and made quickest work of the Jets. The only team to give them some trouble was the Sharks.

As Vegas sits and rests and reloads their pretty immense team depth it looks like whoever they face in the SC final will suffer similar fate. The Knights have quite simply been the most dominating playoff club.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wonder if you posted this twice thinking that at least one of them would vanish.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I stated at the time that the Sharks taking the Knights to 6 games was a better result than thought and especially doing it without Joe Thornton. The Knights swept the Kings and made quickest work of the Jets. The only team to give them some trouble was the Sharks.

As Vegas sits and rests and reloads their pretty immense team depth it looks like whoever they face in the SC final will suffer similar fate. The Knights have quite simply been the most dominating playoff club.
If Vegas gets home ice (if the Caps win) you might as well put their name on the Cup. They're practically unstoppable at home and fearless on the road.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If Vegas gets home ice (if the Caps win) you might as well put their name on the Cup. They're practically unstoppable at home and fearless on the road.

One thing is certain is that the Caps extending the series will help the Knights who have already had more rest than the other clubs. The magic with the Knights is they can still just roll lines and even several rounds in are doing that. Less bench shorting going on. So that the whole team just plays the game at an energy and pace that is hard to match. The Knights puck battle is furious. Even against the Sharks who are the closest other team to being able to do that there were times where I was saying "Hey Sharks, you can't lose half a dozen puck battles in a row multiple times and not expect that to be a problem.

The Knights game plan isn't too much of a mystery. They play a California brand of hockey. They are just doing it better and with a drafted lineup that is just deeper. But they have speed too so an interesting mix. With the Knights its rarely a question of whether they will be able to employ puck pressure.

Not sure how the Lightning would fare against this. If the Knights stuck to their game I think it would wear down the Lightning. The Knights would eventually dominate puck possession much like the Pens do against the Lightning.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
One thing is certain is that the Caps extending the series will help the Knights who have already had more rest than the other clubs. The magic with the Knights is they can still just roll lines and even several rounds in are doing that. Less bench shorting going on. So that the whole team just plays the game at an energy and pace that is hard to match. The Knights puck battle is furious. Even against the Sharks who are the closest other team to being able to do that there were times where I was saying "Hey Sharks, you can't lose half a dozen puck battles in a row multiple times and not expect that to be a problem.

The Knights game plan isn't too much of a mystery. They play a California brand of hockey. They are just doing it better and with a drafted lineup that is just deeper. But they have speed too so an interesting mix. With the Knights its rarely a question of whether they will be able to employ puck pressure.

Not sure how the Lightning would fare against this. If the Knights stuck to their game I think it would wear down the Lightning. The Knights would eventually dominate puck possession much like the Pens do against the Lightning.
The Lightning would fare better although the Caps absolutely brutalized them in Game 6. If that continued they would be worn down eventually.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Statements like this are disingenuous because it implies that these players arent any good.

I didnt see you making statements to the contrary after the 2016/17 season....why is that?

I can probably answer that for you....because you have an extreme negative bias and you constantly (and I mean constantly) look to try and support your bias.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Statements like this are disingenuous because it implies that these players arent any good.

I didnt see you making statements to the contrary after the 2016/17 season....why is that?

I can probably answer that for you....because you have an extreme negative bias and you constantly (and I mean constantly) look to try and support your bias.
I never said they weren't any good. I said they all had awful years. Lucic, Talbot, Kassian, Larsson all had bad years.

The problem is that one of those players is in it for the long haul, we don't have a replacement goalie in case Talbot flounders, Kassian is signed and looked checked out at times, and we gave up a lot to get Larsson.

Those players have to be better, and it reflects on the GM who brought them in.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I never said they weren't any good. I said they all had awful years. Lucic, Talbot, Kassian, Larsson all had bad years.

The problem is that one of those players is in it for the long haul, we don't have a replacement goalie in case Talbot flounders, Kassian is signed and looked checked out at times, and we gave up a lot to get Larsson.

I think the real problem is that you are projecting for next season in May.

I mean come man...let things play out a bit...lol

As for last season....you missed my point entirely. Of course they have to be better. The point is that history suggests that they will be. You are using 1 season as a barometer moving forward as if nothing else matters.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

Most of the players listed had very good years the season prior, all in the same team under the same coaching staff. Sekera suffered a knee injury and is getting healthy now so he should bounce back. Kassian was a great agitator that season. Talbot had a record setting season and was overplayed immensely. With a decent back up to take on 20ish games will make a big difference imo. Nurse looks like he's figured things out. Larsson went through some tough times mentally this season which I think played a factor.

The only one I'm unsure about bouncing back next season Lucic.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008

The point is that these players all had great years to get oilers to playoffs in 2016-17. Their faltering all at once, and to the extent that they faltered, could not have been foreseen by anyone. Fan or executive. What's chiarelli supposed to do? Overhaul the team after the most successful one in a generation because...depth? Because... just in case?

Reactions: oilers'72

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Most of the players listed had very good years the season prior, all in the same team under the same coaching staff. Sekera suffered a knee injury and is getting healthy now so he should bounce back. Kassian was a great agitator that season. Talbot had a record setting season and was overplayed immensely. With a decent back up to take on 20ish games will make a big difference imo. Nurse looks like he's figured things out. Larsson went through some tough times mentally this season which I think played a factor.

The only one I'm unsure about bouncing back next season Lucic.

I agree with this except to say that I dont think that 1/2 a season defines Lucic as a player.

He will be better....I have no doubt about that.

All that aside...I do think that Chiarelli has to make some additions to the top 6. More speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad