2016 World Junior Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
We'll dedicate this thread (and subsequent parts) to all discussion relating to the World Juniors - inclusive of all Leaf prospects and Team Canada in general.

Team Canada names World Junior selection camp roster

http://www.tsn.ca/team-canada-names-world-junior-selection-camp-roster-1.402465

Marner and Dermott headline Leaf prospects invited for Team Canada

If you know of other countries that have announced their selection camp rosters, I can add them to the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
With Walman joining the camp, it makes it that much harder for Dermott to make the team.

Marner is a lock.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
With Walman joining the camp, it makes it that much harder for Dermott to make the team.

Marner is a lock.

Dermott will make the team because he is a solid multi talented dman. I would bet on it ha. I think he is the highest scoring defenseman invited.

9 right handed shots with the forwards invited. Only 2 on the defense. Its a 22 man roster limit isn't it?

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dermott will make the team because he is a solid multi talented dman. I would bet on it ha. I think he is the highest scoring defenseman invited.

Locks -

Hicketts, Sanheim, and Fleury.

Other then that it seems like a very competitive group, I wouldn't just say "Dermott's on the team" because reasons. You can make a case for a lot of guys on the list.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Locks -

Other then that it seems like a very competitive group, I wouldn't just say "Dermott's on the team" because reasons. You can make a case for a lot of guys on the list.

Oh oh sorry. I forgot i left the positivity thread :naughty:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Locks -

Wahl should be making an interesting case since technically he wanted to be in Team USA lol

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Marner is a lock as we all know. He was at the announcement today and was already given a jersey incase some of you guys missed it.

Dermott will be interesting. This will be his only year to make it so they can't groom him for next year and if he is eligible next year the Leafs likely wont send him while playing for the Marlies.. He deserves to be there based on his play this year and last year though. Hopefully he makes it as a top 4.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Oh oh sorry. I forgot i left the positivity thread :naughty:

I hope Dermott makes it too, believe me. I'm just saying don't dismiss the other guys who have a valid reason for being at the camp.

Wahl should be making an interesting case since technically he wanted to be in Team USA lol

He's a bit older then other players invited as well which works in his favor.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

He wanted to play for the states and couldn't because he did not live there for 16 months previous for entitlement.

I don't agree with this on principle.

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
Nylander and Timashov are locks for Team Sweden. I really doubt they'd keep Nylander with the Marlies rather than a top line role at the WJC but who really knows.

Bracco has an outside shot at Team USA.

I think that'll be it for Leafs prospects in the tournament, outside of Marner and Dermott.

Does anyone know if Dzerkials is going to play with Latvia in Div A this December?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Locks -

Why Fleury, was he on the team last year?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I hope Dermott makes it too, believe me. I'm just saying don't dismiss the other guys who have a valid reason for being at the camp.

He's a bit older then other players invited as well which works in his favor.

He wanted to play for the states and couldn't because he did not live there for 16 months previous for entitlement.

I don't agree with this on principle.

I dont agree with the principle either but hey we get a solid guy possibly at the back end.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nylander and Timashov are locks for Team Sweden. I really doubt they'd keep Nylander with the Marlies rather than a top line role at the WJC but who really knows.

Bracco has an outside shot at Team USA.

I think that'll be it for Leafs prospects in the tournament, outside of Marner and Dermott.

Does anyone know if Dzerkials is going to play with Latvia in Div A this December?

Nylander plays as a top line centre in the AHL against men, the WJC is a step down for him. I don't see him being released.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I thought Nielsen had a shot at making the team, no?

No international expierence and coming out of nowhere likely went against him. If he was even in the picture. Hunter see's him coming or was tipped he was coming and drafted him.

It doesn't bother me much when you look at the talent invited.

I might even be a little glad he isn't getting that exposure in this market. He basically has little expectation on him right now. I kind of like that.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I thought Nielsen had a shot at making the team, no?

He wasn't even invited to the Canada VS Russia series for the WHL, even after Sanheim was injured and they replaced him with 2 other defenders. If he wasn't a top 8-9 defender for the WHL, he's certainly not a top 6-7 defender for Canada.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
He wasn't even invited to the Canada VS Russia series for the WHL, even after Sanheim was injured and they replaced him with 2 other defenders. If he wasn't a top 8-9 defender for the WHL, he's certainly not a top 6-7 defender for Canada.

Ya, I've been MIA with our junior prospects for the last few weeks because of work, I usually start coming back around now. The last I heard about Nielsen was he was off to a great start in the dub and lead defenders in scoring (I think). Has he cooled since?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ya, I've been MIA with our junior prospects for the last few weeks because of work, I usually start coming back around now. The last I heard about Nielsen was he was off to a great start in the dub and lead defenders in scoring (I think). Has he cooled since?

No he hasn't cooled really. He is still fifth in scoring. He is only 3 points out of first in scoring to hicketts with a game in hand.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Still putting up points from what I can see. I haven't seen him much to really have an opinion on his overall play though. Either way, it's clear Team Canada doesn't really value him all that much as a high end defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad