2016 World Junior Discussion (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If you are talking strictly points, 750 in 1000 sure I would be happy. But there is more to hockey than just points and that's why Sullivan was an offensive 2//3C that offered very little other than decent scoring. Using last season Leaf stats is not setting the bar very high. If you want to twist what I said into into me claiming Sullivan's career ppg being brutal go ahead.

Marner is a player who many claim to be a 1/2 pick in most drafts, whose comparisons are the NHL's elite and has more hype than any Leaf prospect for decades. If he turned out to be a 2/3 C that bounced around the NHL and brought nothing to the table other than offence, I think the majority would consider this brutal or a huge disappointment.

Of course it's a disappointment, but if you look at Sullivan's career as a whole you'll find that many other top picks fail to even reach that standard (therefore it is not the worst outcome like you seem to think it is). It's incredibly ignorant however for you to make the comparison based on one meh game from him.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
That's exactly what happens when you play in an inferior league. Nylander was skating around carelessly and got rocked. Stupid decision by Shanahan and the management group.

A bad decision is a bad decision, no matter what league a player is in.

You don't cut in the middle with your head down.

Ever.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A bad decision is a bad decision, no matter what league a player is in.

You don't cut in the middle with your head down.

Ever.

He didn't have his head down, he had his head the other way. It was a dirty blind side hit. Nothing Nylander could have done, and whether it was an accident or not, Chris Egli should be kicked out for at least a couple of games.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He didn't have his head down, he had his head the other way. It was a dirty blind side hit. Nothing Nylander could have done, and whether it was an accident or not, Chris Egli should be kicked out for at least a couple of games.

Pause it at 0:09 seconds.

His head is down and his eyes are looking squarely at the puck and his blade.

You don't do that when you're cutting into the middle of the ice.

Ever.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
That's exactly what happens when you play in an inferior league. Nylander was skating around carelessly and got rocked. Stupid decision by Shanahan and the management group.

Ummm...you're clueless on so many levels, one doesn't even know where to begin. But okay Shanahan's fault?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
his head was up. he would have seen any player coming frontside (i.e. legally).

and he wasn't cutting across the middle when hit - he was skating directly up the ice towards the goal. the hitter was moving laterally at the point of impact, not the puck carrier.

mikebel111*

Ever.

Wrong. His eyes and head are up. They only got down after he got hit

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014

Ever.

http://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/mondialJunior2014/mondial-junior-william-nylander-frappe-a-la-tete-par-chris-egli-3.1166788

If you watch closely (in this clip) you can pause the video before he gets hit, you will see Nylander look at the player about to hit him. That being said the hit is a tricky one, because it's partly a blindside, partly Nylander not being aware enough, even though his head was mostly up, but he was looking North when turning, should have looked East first.

Last edited:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Must be so happy I guess?

He's been laying dud after dud at higher levels of play.

Not my fault he was garbage at camp and wjc.

Some players just dominate at Jr and can't translate their play at higher levels. Marner so far has been one of those players

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Some players just dominate at Jr and can't translate their play at higher levels. Marner so far has been one of those players

He's put up a 2ppg in the OHL playoffs. I think this has earned him a little bit of credit - the World Juniors are hardly a "make or break it" series of games.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Rough day. Nylander got smucked. Marner looked kinda bad for two periods.

Timashov looked pretty good at least.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Marner with another dud

Sorry you are wrong....he played well.. he is so smart with his reads. He made 4 passes to players who do not think the game very well and were not ready for the pass. Did he play great, not at all, did he play well, yes.

Watch a little closer and you may pick up the things that he does. His passing is fantastic.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

even in a dud performance had an assist. If you are trying to prove something by his dud games well you got 3 so far, the two in preseason where he was average, and this one where he was good imo. 3 games is not more important that the past 2 years of dominant hockey he has played. I know he struggled in the first period, was decent in the second, and had a great 3rd. If your going to judge him looking for dud games only that obviously your being biased. He was amazing in the wjc under 18 last year. Amazing in the ohl playoffs, where he showed up big time with 16 pts in 7 games. It's only game... one not the entire tourney, and with how much skill marner has, it's only logical to think he will get better as the tourney moves along. Let the kid play and develop.

mikebel111*

thanks for the :laugh:

Marner will be fine. He has always been a slow starter

So yeah I think you need to chill. Maybe we can get some Colton Orr fights that could help you get cheered up:)

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Ever.

I'm sorry, his head doesn't look down to me. Looks like it's looking straight ahead, not in the direction where the hit was coming from. It's not even like he could have seen the guy when he was changing direction. The guy came from quite a distance away to hit him. There was nothing he could have done; it was all on Egli for making a stupid decision that should cost him the rest of his tournament.

mikebel111*

I'm sorry, his head doesn't look down to me. Looks like it's looking straight ahead, not in the direction where the hit was coming from. It's not even like he could have seen the guy when he was changing direction. The guy came from quite a distance away to hit him. There was nothing he could have done; it was all on Egli for making a stupid decision that should cost him the rest of his tournament.

Look at my post. The evidence is in that post that shows Nylander had his head up, and saw the guy who hit him in the last instant but it was too late

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Look at my post. The evidence is in that post that shows Nylander had his head up, and saw the guy who hit him in the last instant but it was too late

Yeaah, I agree with you and I saw that on Facebook. Don't worry, I totally believe you. :laugh:

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Forget about rules.... thats a hit I want OUT of hockey.

I dont care if people call me soft. Ive been concussed, im pretty sure I have concussed another guy (despite the fact I never played beyond a Select level). If we want skill to dominate, then skill guys need to know they will be safe.

Nylander barely had control of the puck for 0.5 seconds before he got hit. Thats the margin of error. The game is so tightly checked now that if a pass is not perfectly on the tape, the player can be in trouble.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Of course it's a disappointment, but if you look at Sullivan's career as a whole you'll find that many other top picks fail to even reach that standard (therefore it is not the worst outcome like you seem to think it is). It's incredibly ignorant however for you to make the comparison based on one meh game from him.

I don't think a Sullivan type career is in the cards for Marner, not sure if you read my original post. Never made the comparison, just said I hope this will not be the case and would consider that a brutal outcome. I am told that I am crazy to feel that way should that be the eventual outcome. For all the hype, draft status, OHL stats and comparisons - I expect Marner to be first line talent and if he turns out to have a Sullivan type career I will be very disappointed. Perhaps my expectations are too high, but for someone who is considered a 1/2 pick in most drafts to end up like Sullivan would really suck for me. If you want to call me ignorant or stupid so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad