World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Sweden Part III

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I am really depressed when i think about EHT and World Championship, it will be so boring and slow to watch. Everyone will say no thanks and Grönborg is a bad coach. There is nothing to look forward to.

The swedish hockey bosses need to get tough and fire Grönborg.

World Juniors will be funny tought...

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Blues...

However, we were better than Finland and Russia and undefeated at full time in the other games.

Good work, guys!

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
I am really depressed when i think about EHT and World Championship, it will be so boring and slow to watch. Everyone will say no thanks and Grönborg is a bad coach. There is nothing to look forward to.

Yea Grönborg didn't show any value at all. I was hoping for a new start after Mårts, but this just might be worse. The system utilized our ability to shut down games which we lead, but that was about it.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

Ye but they wont I think they have a long ass contract with him unfortunately.. coach chokejob

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
**** is wrong with OEL? Monster in NHL, so bad here

Thought he played great today, nothing offensively from him though.

Karlsson and Bäckström are our best players and they played like it this tournament, could have been better utilized.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
Grönborg is terrible. Hopefully Ulf Samuelsson will be an NHL head coach by the next Olympics or World Cup. If he is he could lead the team. Otherwise I would be fine an American or Canadian NHL coach leading the team.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
2018 Olympics

Lehner
Markstrom

Hedman - Karlsson
OEL - Klingberg
Lindholm - Ekholm

Forsberg - Bäckström - Nylander
Rakell - Zibanejad - Burakovsky
Nyquist - Wennberg - Johansson
Lindholm - Rask - Arvidsson

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I agree that Grönborg should be sacked, and this isn't just a late reaction. I've said after pretty much every game the main problem is that Grönborg forces everyone to play into his boring defensive system, which completely kills the huge creativity that some of these players have. When you've got guys like OEL and Karlsson, and when they're your best players, you model the team's play after their style or you're completely squandering their potential.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Karlsson was in a second tournament in a row completly surprior to all our other dmen, both offensivly AND DEFENSIVLY.

Hedman and strålman was good in the first game against russia, but after that it went down hill. They kind of reminded me of Kronwall and Ericsson in sochi, they also started the tournament ok, but went downhill, and like them, they are on the ice on pretty much all of the goals.

Having Klingberg on this team would have at least giving us 2 d-pairs that would work, now we only had one that worked over the whole tournament, at it is again the one with Karlsson and who ever he plays with, and he played to little. But leaving Klingberg out was a huge huge mistake, easily our next best d-men.

It will not happen but Grönborg should get fired from the job he shouldnt have had from the first place. Grönborg is a choker and he didnt make anyone disappointed.

I hope the gimmick team will win the tournament.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Thought he played great today, nothing offensively from him though.

OEL was as underwhelming as he was in the other games.

No initiative, looks timid and with no confidence.

He should see a shrink before the next time he plays for team Sweden.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
King Choke strikes again

Haven't read the post game quotes but please let me know how many excuses Hank made this time

Plus I am also wondering what 55 is also going to blame another loss on?

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
2018 Olympics

Lehner
Markstrom

Hedman - Karlsson
OEL - Klingberg
Lindholm - Ekholm

Olympics is just 1,5 year away, why so dramatic different forward lineup? only 2 forwards from this team? But I also would like to see some chances.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Let's be real.

Sweden's whole WC performance was underwhelming.

How many players played to their potential?

Let's start with our sc. elite defence.

Karlsson and perhaps Hjalmarsson. The rest did not play at the level they are capable of. In some cases not even close (yes, I'm looking at you, OEL). Hedman was okay, but nowhere close to the level he should be at.

Among forwards. Perhaps the Sedins did, given their age, but aside from them? Eriksson was solid all through.

Bäckström, Forsberg, Landeskog...none of them reached the level they are capable of.

The bottom six were decent, but no real standouts.

Lundqvist played the worst when it mattered the most.

Overall, even though we reached OT in the semis, these 4 games were really underwhelming - neither effort nor individual dominance from none other than perhaps Karlsson.

Just not good enough.

And losing like 7 players to injuries isn't even a legit excuse either. The ones we had should have performed much better than they were.

I agree with most of it, exept that I think Bäckström was good. 4p, 2g and +3. Best swede statswise despite he didnt play in first PP for most of the tournament.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
2018 Olympics

Lehner
Markstrom

Hedman - Karlsson
OEL - Klingberg
Lindholm - Ekholm

Pretty sure we'll see Landeskog, Söderberg, Loui and Hagelin there

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Pretty sure we'll see Landeskog, Söderberg, Loui and Hagelin there

loui I wouldnt mind if he goes actually. He has been a loyal player, but he do not add that much and now when the chemistry between him and the sedin didnt work out that great this time, maybe time to try something new.

Forwards (if everyone is healthy and want to play)
Kruger, Hörnqvist, Eriksson, Berglund, Silfverberg OUT
Zetterberg, Steen, Rakell, Zibanejad, Nylander (hopefully he can breakthrough, we desperately need a new young superstar to be born among forwards), IN

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I'll try grading Sweden over this whole tournament.

Sedin 3.75
Sedin 3.75
Eriksson 4
Bäckström 4
Landeskog 2.75
Forsberg 2.75
Hörnquist 3
Hagelin 3
Backlund 2.75
Kruger 2.5
Silfverberg 2.5
Berglund 3
Söderberg 2.5

Karlsson 4
Ekholm 3
OEL 2.5
Hedman 3.25
Strålman 2.75
Hjalmarsson 3.5

Lundqvist 3.5
Markström 3.75

General effort, passion, intensity and ability to perform as a team: 1.25..

Our forwards did generally under-perform a tad, but it was our defence that really **** the bed - and of course Lundqvist when it really mattered.

Only Karlsson and to an extent Hjalmarsson, played at a level close to what they are capable of. Ekholm too, but he was the obvious weak link in the defence - yet outperformed an elite defenceman like OEL, who once again had a horrible international performance.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Sedin 3.75
Sedin 3.75
Eriksson 4
Bäckström 4
Landeskog 2.75
Forsberg 2.75
Hörnquist 3
Hagelin 3
Backlund 2.75
Kruger 2.5
Silfverberg 2.5
Berglund 3
Söderberg 2.5

Karlsson 4
Ekholm 3
OEL 2.5
Hedman 3.25
Strålman 2.75
Hjalmarsson 3.5

Lundqvist 3.5
Markström 3.75

Our forwards did generally under-perform a tad, but it was our defence that really **** the bed - and of course Lundqvist when it really mattered.

Only Karlsson and to an extent Hjalmarsson, played at a level close to what they are capable of. Ekholm too, but he was the obvious weak link in the defence - yet outperformed an elite defenceman like OEL, who once again had a horrible international performance.

Disagree with a lot of this. Our defense was strong, would have liked to see some more offense from a couple of them but there weren't really any huge disappointments there. Problem is simple, we couldn't score, not even on the PP, and that's mostly on the forwards. Daniel, Eriksson and Forsberg combined for 1 goal, not counting empty netters, and they were the ones we counted on to put the puck into the net.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden

Sedin 3.75
Sedin 3.75
Eriksson 4
Bäckström 4
Landeskog 2.75
Forsberg 2.75
Hörnquist 3
Hagelin 3
Backlund 2.75
Kruger 2.5
Silfverberg 2.5
Berglund 3
Söderberg 2.5

Karlsson 4
Ekholm 3
OEL 2.5
Hedman 3.25
Strålman 2.75
Hjalmarsson 3.5

Lundqvist 3.5
Markström 3.75

I wouldn't put high numbers on either Sedins, Loui or Bäckström. I don't think they generated enough scoring chances, at all. Yeah, Bäckström put home two empty net rebounds and Loui put in an empty netter, but overall I think both our top lines failed. I wouldn't put more than a 3 on any of them, considering the level of play they are capable of.

I think defence was quite ok. Karlsson, Hjalmarsoon, Strålman and Ekholm was doing ok, I expected a bit more from Hedman and OEL. I would put that on coaching though. Grönborgs defensive system destroyed creativity a bit.

Disagree with a lot of this. Our defense was strong, would have liked to see some more offense from a couple of them but there weren't really any huge disappointments there. Problem is simple, we couldn't score, not even on the PP, and that's mostly on the forwards. Daniel, Eriksson and Forsberg combined for 1 goal, not counting empty netters, and they were the ones we counted on to put the puck into the net.

Agreed.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I feel that there were some changes that should have been made when things didn’t work like maybe some top-6 line changes like this:

Sedin РSedin РH̦rnqvist
Forsberg – Bäckström – Eriksson

Switching Hörnqvist and Eriksson is something I feel could have been worth a try since the Sedins could have maybe used someone who is a bit stronger around the net while Bäckström is used to setting up plays and giving him two quick guys who he can skate into the zone with might have been better than having him with Hörnqvist, oh well, maybe we see something that works better in the future.

Hedman and strålman was good in the first game against russia, but after that it went down hill. They kind of reminded me of Kronwall and Ericsson in sochi, they also started the tournament ok, but went downhill, and like them, they are on the ice on pretty much all of the goals.

I’m a lightning fan but I agree with this, it was sad to see. I was thinking that one of the reasons why they were their best in the Russia game was because Markström was in net and he plays a bit like Bishop does so how they should play might have come more natural to them…but it’s no excuse, hopefully they are better for us this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad