World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Russia II

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We probably saw Datsyuk for the last time in a team Russia jersey in the game against Finland. Russia needs Kuznetsov to take over for his mentor, Datsyuk's importance to the team cannot be overstated.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
We probably saw Datsyuk for the last time in a team Russia jersey in the game against Finland. Russia needs Kuznetsov to take over for his mentor, Datsyuk's importance to the team cannot be overstated.

Now that he isn't in the NHL anymore you don't think he play in the WC next year assuming he is available?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I won't be surprised if Datsyuk eventually won't be invited to the Worlds. We need more young players to learn the responsibilities of a key national team player instead of relying on an old man.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
:snide:Russia didn't really play almost any better than in Sochi or Vancouver it was merely illusion. They were outplayed/changed in every game expect maybe againts young weak Finnish team that didnt have anythink to play for and even that game was quite even... Againts Canada they hanged in game 2 periods because Bobrovsky was playing so well. Real difference between Rus and Can seems to be about 5 goals per game like 6-1 6-2 7-2 7-3 is realistic expectation of outcome when these 2 play nowadays with A Lineups.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Now that he isn't in the NHL anymore you don't think he play in the WC next year assuming he is available?

No, I think he'll just decline invitations and/or be injured at this time of the year. Datsyuk, like Jagr, needs a long offseason of rest at his age. In any case, Russia needs to make the transition from the old guard to their new core of forwards. The 4 young Russians are the present and future of Russia when it comes to skilled forwards. Eventually, Ovechkin and Malkin will become secondary forwards for Russia, while Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Kucherov and Panarin lead the way.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I won't be surprised if Datsyuk eventually won't be invited to the Worlds. We need more young players to learn the responsibilities of a key national team player instead of relying on an old man.

No chance he goes as a 4th liner or such? Can still hand the reigns to the younger players, give them more minutes in tough parts of games, but still have Datsyuk there to teach them along the way.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
:snide:Russia didn't really play almost any better than in Sochi or Vancouver it was merely illusion. They were outplayed/changed in every game expect maybe againts young weak Finnish team that didnt have anythink to play for and even that game was quite even... Againts Canada they hanged in game 2 periods because Bobrovsky was playing so well. Real difference between Rus and Can seems to be about 5 goals per game like 6-1 6-2 7-2 7-3 is realistic expectation of outcome when these 2 play nowadays with A Lineups.

Pssshhh. You are clearly just exercising your Canadian superiority complex. You know you guys aren't that much better than everyone. :sarcasm:

(I'm kidding. Certain folks said after 2 periods that the close score was actually nothing to do with Bob, and that it was a close game in terms of scoring chances. And that those who insisted otherwise were just biased. Those certain folks were wrong. In my opinion, a 5 goal difference without Bob is accurate.)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
No chance he goes as a 4th liner or such? Can still hand the reigns to the younger players, give them more minutes in tough parts of games, but still have Datsyuk there to teach them along the way.

This. We need Datsyuk in the locker room maybe even more than on the ice because of his experience and positive influence on everyone around him. Not to mention that he is still good on the ice too.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This. We need Datsyuk in the locker room maybe even more than on the ice because of his experience and positive influence on everyone around him. Not to mention that he is still good on the ice too.

I mean, I can understand the reasoning for wanting to give younger Russians an opportunity to make the national team theirs, but I feel Datsyuk can still play a key part in the end of things - whether it be big or small.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
But how do you keep Datsyuk on the 4th line when the score is 1-3 early in the 3rd period of the final game? The players and the media would call favoritism or personal issues that damaged the team. It will be easier if Znarok just says "I think it's a good chance for the team to get younger and the kids to get some experiencet", everyone will know that the younger players need to step up. We've seen the story already, when Kuznetsov played with Datsyuk in some Worlds and couldn't even show a share of what he's capable of, because he was too hesitant to take the game to himself.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Datsyuk has always been injury-prone, but the affects are much more pronounced now. If you recall, he was held out of Red Wing games for almost 2 months before Sochi. He played well in Sochi, but he was badly injured. Things aren't going to get better as he edges close to age 40!

Datsyuk is a great, great man, and he will be a great influence on young Russians playing his last few years in the KHL. But I agree with Acallabeth - its time to pass the reins of leadership on to younger players. The Worlds should be used by Russia for increasing experimentation and trials. What is to lose?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Pssshhh. You are clearly just exercising your Canadian superiority complex. You know you guys aren't that much better than everyone. :sarcasm:

(I'm kidding. Certain folks said after 2 periods that the close score was actually nothing to do with Bob, and that it was a close game in terms of scoring chances. And that those who insisted otherwise were just biased. Those certain folks were wrong. In my opinion, a 5 goal difference without Bob is accurate.)

But if you take Crosby out of the Canadian lineup, now you are back down to a 1 or 2 goal difference at most.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I pretty much expected this kind of outcome. Didn't watch the game, but when I watched Sid cleverly steal the puck from the Russian defenseman, I was like - yeah, this is exactly the problem with Russian hockey. Really weak defense. The team just doesn't work like a 'machine' anymore - definitely not like the Red one at any rate. Things have been going downhill, unfortunately. The guys just didn't develop enough chemistry, they didn't play as a team with a 'game plan'. Znarok's coaching still leaves much to be desired. Bleh, it's pretty sad that not so long ago, one could actually stipulate on the outcome of a Canada-Russia match, now these matches are just a joke, Russia bascially barely has a chance.
Russia needs to invest in their kids if they want to be a truly great hockey nation again.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I pretty much expected this kind of outcome. Didn't watch the game, but when I watched Sid cleverly steal the puck from the Russian defenseman, I was like - yeah, this is exactly the problem with Russian hockey. Really weak defense. The team just doesn't work like a 'machine' anymore - definitely not like the Red one at any rate. Things have been going downhill, unfortunately. The guys just didn't develop enough chemistry, they didn't play as a team with a 'game plan'. Znarok's coaching still leaves much to be desired. Bleh, it's pretty sad that not so long ago, one could actually stipulate on the outcome of a Canada-Russia match, now these matches are just a joke, Russia bascially barely has a chance.
Russia needs to invest in their kids if they want to be a truly great hockey nation again.

Agreed!

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
The best skater of our team was Kucherov.
Anisimov, Telegin, Kulemin had very good tournament.
Ovechkin had good tournament. Off course, everybody waits 10 goals every game from him, but, I guess, Znarok didn't use him properly.
Datsyuk is past his prime and got injured, but he was very effective for the player of his age.
Malkin wasn't himself and at the beginning of the tournament he was just bad, but he had decent games with Finland and Canada.
Shipachev and Dadonov just not the players, that can compete with the best in the world.
Panarin, Kuznetsov and, especially, Tarasenko just failed, which was a big surprise to me.

Markov was by far the worst our defenseman. Age is age, he is not Lidstrom, nothing you can do about that.
Emelin and Marchenko were bad, Orlov was average at best.
To me, Kulikov and Zaitsev had decent tournament. I hope it will be our 3-d pair after Sergachev - Provorov and Zadorov - Tryamkin :)

Znarok was average, but really better than I expected. Overall, our team looked not bad at all, all circumstances considered.

imho :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad