Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v17) Next: vs DET| Sun, July 10| 1pmET/10amPT | Sanchez vs Dickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I've always hated that ground-rule double rule. Should be discretionary. If there's a runner who clearly looks like he would score from first, then he should be allowed to score. Much more logical than just making an absolute rule like that. Maybe it was fine in the early days of baseball, when guys were slower, but it should be changed for todays' game, when many runners could score from 1st on a hit like that. The umps should have discretion on whether the runner would score or not from 1st. Maybe they all get together, and sort of have a vote, and if a majority thinks the runner would score, then he scores. Just seems right to me.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The only issue is then it leaves more for the umpires to interpret. And they've proven they're not ready for more responsibilities.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It was actually his August, coupled with Trout's wrist injury that propelled him to the top spot. He accumulated 2.3 fWAR and a 200 wRC+ compared to Trout's 0.4 fWAR and 100 wRC+ that same month.

IIRC he cooled off at the end of August/rest of September and wasn't his best in the playoffs.

I'm just going off memory here, I'm too lazy to look. :laugh:

My point I guess is if he ever has one of those really consistent seasons it'd probably the best offensive season by a Blue Jay. Better than Delgado's monster year.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
The only issue is then it leaves more for the umpires to interpret. And they've proven they're not ready for more responsibilities.

Yeah, but when the runner is half-way to home-plate from 3rd by the time the ball bounces out, it's a pretty easy decision, and incredibly logical. That was the case with Travis.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
And just think. Tulos career average fWAR is higher then Donaldson career HIGH fWAR.. jays have a very good thing going. They gotta sign EE. I don't care about Bats. And Saunders please.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
And just think. Tulos career average fWAR is higher then Donaldson career HIGH fWAR.. jays have a very good thing going. They gotta sign EE. I don't care about Bats. And Saunders please.

I totally agree. If they're going to sign one, please let it be EE. I think he's got a lot more left in the tank for some reason. Don't know what or why that is I feel that way. Maybe the fewer major injuries or maladies. I just have a feeling EE would be better value.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Guy's got a pretty good arm. Made our batters look pretty foolish that inning, although Thole is pretty awful. Still, nice outing so far for this Canadian guy for the Tigers.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
RA probably shouldn't retire after this year.

Yeah, I think he could be a pretty solid bottom of the rotation guy for a couple more seasons. He's not going to win 20 games again, but he could be good for around 12 wins or so a year for a couple more seasons if he keeps up his routines to stay in his top form.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah, I think he could be a pretty solid bottom of the rotation guy for a couple more seasons. He's not going to win 20 games again, but he could be good for around 12 wins or so for a couple more seasons if he keeps up his routines to stay in his top form.

Exactly this. He's a durable, mid/lower rotation guy that can eat innings. I don't mind having him around at all. The only issue for me is having to keep Thole and having him as the back up catcher. I understand most backup catchers aren't good but Thole seems particulaly towards the bottom of the rankings. Not sure if RA's , as a bottom rotation guy, combined with Thole's, as the backup catcher, value would be better off if the Jays went with a different bottom rotation guy and backup catcher. Like the combined WAR of that combo could be measured against bringing in other options.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Actually really like the call to have JD DH a bit more this past week .. Rest his body a bit plus the all-star break - hopefully keep him fresh down the stretch.

The Jays infield depth is impressive to say the least.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Now we get to witness truly how far Lowe has fallen since last year. Feel bad for the guy. He's been unbelievably horrid this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad