WC: 2016 Team Belarus

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Thanks for your meaningful input and killing argumentation.
No doubt that Russia gave Belarus a favor making their players foreigners and forcing the kids to accept Russian citizenship.

Why would they treat Belarussians as local players in the first place? Anyway, Russia forced nobody to take their passports. Don't like the rules? Play literally in any other country in the world. All these passport changes are down to the players (and their parents) themselves, and if that wasn't the case, you wouldn't see one Karnaukhov playing for Belarus, but the other holding our for team Russia.

KlichkoBro*

Wow you are so off...Gotovets isn't on the Belarus roster this year because Rockford is a playoff team, has nothing to do with his skill. Last year Oleg Yevenko played heavy minutes for the Belarus WC team and he is a downright miserable defender who is literally only in the AHL because of his height. It's true, Freibergs isn't in the ECHL because he got suspended he's there because he's not good enough, but between Gotovets, Grabarenko, and Yevenko you don't have a single better defender. Gotovets in fact played in the WC the year before when he only had one AHL game under his belt, and Grabarenko played the 3 years before that. You haven't gotten newer and better defensemen you've just been turned down or they had prior commitments. Belarus is a lot of hot air because you physically don't have anyone in NA who would make a difference who you miss in the WC every year. What Belarus doesn't seem to realize is the face that no one is afraid of Belarus. People are getting excited. Denmark is on the rise, Switzerland is on the rise, Austria is on the rise, Latvia is holding strong, Germany is holding strong. No one is afraid of an aging program which has long fallen out of the eye of the international community. The vestige of Belarus hockey will continue to churn out a player or two from time to time, same with Norway (which actually has a good chance at the Olympics again, draw luck, will finish last again), no one's afraid, no one's impressed. The only difference between Slovak fans and Belorussian fans is that Slovak fans realize their program is decaying, Belorussian fans literally think their program is on the rise and it's hilarious.
So much of another obsessed biased drivel.
Latvia with ECHL, CHL, VHL and British league players is really scary.
Are you aware that Yevenko and Hrabarenka got NHL contracts and no one in his healthy mind would have offered it to Freibergs?
Are you aware that Belarus without their top KHL and AHL defensemen (Korobov, Denisov and aforementioned Hrabarenka), without unknown for you NHLer Michail Grabovsky has outplayed the Slovakia and USA teams and took Finland to the overtime last WC?
Belarus got a nice generation of young defensemen coming up no one aware of. I wanted my NHL team to draft Falkovsky last year, I can prove it with a link to my post. But he played in Belarus and went undrafted. This year he moved to NA and some people consider him as a 3rd round pick even though he's an overager. At the last WC 20-years old Ustinenko and Lisovets did well against the best teams od the world. This year it's 20 y.o. Christian Henkel who might make the team. Damn, they're doing just fine without their 5-6 best defensemen. Same goes to forwards.
Dave Lewis has done a huge job for rearranging the hockey development program.
LOL at Austria is on the rise. They just got relegated to the lower division at the WJC-18, 16 years old Belarusian kids were making them look slow and overwhelmed. Enough. Enjoy your VHLers and CHLers on the national team roster... Holding strong, LOL.

KlichkoBro*

Why would they treat Belarussians as local players in the first place? Anyway, Russia forced nobody to take their passports. Don't like the rules? Play literally in any other country in the world. All these passport changes are down to the players (and their parents) themselves, and if that wasn't the case, you wouldn't see one Karnaukhov playing for Belarus, but the other holding our for team Russia.

Because according to the agreement between Russia and Belarus the citizens of both countries can work in another country without any restrictions. You know, that brotherhood and United State that Russians like to talk about. Double standards like anywhere with Russians. Anyway, we have a nice young players here without them.
Karnaukhov starts for Belarus tonight BTW.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Are you aware that Yevenko and Hrabarenka got NHL contracts and no one in his healthy mind would have offered it to Freibergs?
Are you aware that Belarus without their top KHL and AHL defensemen (Korobov, Denisov and aforementioned Hrabarenka), without unknown for you NHLer Michail Grabovsky has outplayed the Slovakia and USA teams and took Finland to the overtime last WC?
Belarus got a nice generation of young defensemen coming up no one aware of. I wanted my NHL team to draft Falkovsky last year, I can prove it with a link to my post. But he played in Belarus and went undrafted. This year he moved to NA and some people consider him as a 3rd round pick even though he's an overager. At the last WC 20-years old Ustinenko and Lisovets did well against the best teams od the world. This year it's 20 y.o. Christian Henkel who might make the team. Damn, they're doing just fine without their 5-6 best defensemen. Same goes to forwards.
Dave Lewis has done a huge job for rearranging the hockey development program.
LOL at Austria is on the rise. They just got relegated to the lower division at the WJC-18, 16 years old Belarusian kids were making them look slow and overwhelmed. Enough. Enjoy your VHLers and CHLers on the national team roster... Holding strong, LOL.
That's the problem, that's what you don't realize. The people you think you are missing are so insignificant compared to who others are missing. First off, your rotating AHL defensemen, no one envies them. I know what contracts Grabarenko and Yevenko are on, don't worry, they'll never be NHL regulars, Yevenko is role player and a terrible one at that who in two years won't even be in the KHL. Grabarenko will be in the KHL soon, quite likely next year. You of all people should know that you've had Korobov. But you never realize that who you're missing is so insignificant, even the people you named are insignificant when the US passes up 180 NHL players to give college kids the experience but oh you left behind one now lower half NHLer...that's just a terrible comparison. Idk what U20 team you saw from Belarus the one I saw was the slaughtered calf. You know nothing about the Austrian program. You just saw the weak 98 class in one game. 5 austrians have been CHL drafted in 2 years, only 2 Belorussians have. Austrians have been drafted in 3 straight years for the USHL, only one Belorussian has and he never made it out of the Belarus local U20. Austrians are burgeoning with prospects in the Swiss and Swedish leagues, Belarus only has kids playing in Russia and the good ones become Russian. Their U16 team was a goal away from 2nd in the 6 nations tournament and beat Slovakia. The U14 team won a Canadian tournament, first invite team to do so. You don't have the facts on Austria so don't guess, the fact that they are rising is unquestionable, especially at the senior men's level. Dinamo Raubichi for Belarus went, wait for it, 0-40-0-4 in the MHL. Latvia had more CSS guys, there are more outlets for the Latvian program. Believe what you want, I'll be sitting here smiling.

KlichkoBro*

That's the problem, that's what you don't realize. The people you think you are missing are so insignificant compared to who others are missing. First off, your rotating AHL defensemen, no one envies them. I know what contracts Grabarenko and Yevenko are on, don't worry, they'll never be NHL regulars, Yevenko is role player and a terrible one at that who in two years won't even be in the KHL. Grabarenko will be in the KHL soon, quite likely next year. You of all people should know that you've had Korobov. But you never realize that who you're missing is so insignificant, even the people you named are insignificant when the US passes up 180 NHL players to give college kids the experience but oh you left behind one now lower half NHLer...that's just a terrible comparison. Idk what U20 team you saw from Belarus the one I saw was the slaughtered calf. You know nothing about the Austrian program. You just saw the weak 98 class in one game. 5 austrians have been CHL drafted in 2 years, only 2 Belorussians have. Austrians have been drafted in 3 straight years for the USHL, only one Belorussian has and he never made it out of the Belarus local U20. Austrians are burgeoning with prospects in the Swiss and Swedish leagues, Belarus only has kids playing in Russia and the good ones become Russian. Their U16 team was a goal away from 2nd in the 6 nations tournament and beat Slovakia. The U14 team won a Canadian tournament, first invite team to do so. You don't have the facts on Austria so don't guess, the fact that they are rising is unquestionable, especially at the senior men's level. Dinamo Raubichi for Belarus went, wait for it, 0-40-0-4 in the MHL. Latvia had more CSS guys, there are more outlets for the Latvian program. Believe what you want, I'll be sitting here smiling.

Just one advise. Find a stream and watch some Belarusian kids from Dinamo-Raubichi playing against the raising Germany right now for the pass to elite. it's 2:0 after 5 minutes so far and the best Belarus players are underagers.
Dinamo-Raubichi players are 3-4 years younger than another MHL teams players. You know, just the USNTDP team is always last in the USHL.

KlichkoBro*

I officially like Karnaukhov. He's the only Karnaukhov I know now, screw his brother. Nice fight and take-down win against the Latvian goalie. Nice day, U-18 team advances to the elite division and Belarusian goalie kicks Latvian's ***. He gave up a stinker on the 1st goal though.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Wait? All this Belarussian talent and Latvian nobodies win a game against them? :huh:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Wait? All this Belarussian talent and Latvian nobodies win a game against them? :huh:

Seems like our rivalry never disappeared it was just put on temporary pause. Looking forward to some future games against Belarus its pure entertainnent of nothing else.:laugh:

KlichkoBro*

Prior to the WC in Latvia a few years ago Belarus played against Canada with Sidney Crosby and another NHL stars on the roster and won that game 4:3. I hope you get a hint. Just like Masalskis got his clock cleaned.
And you forgot to add "win a game in the SO".

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Prior to the WC in Latvia a few years ago Belarus played against Canada with Sidney Crosby and another NHL stars on the roster and won that game 4:3. I hope you get a hint. Just like Masalskis got his clock cleaned.

You were singing a different song 24 hours ago... Winning an exhibition game against bunch of arrogant ECHL players that would never make your national team and all that.

KlichkoBro*

You were singing a different song 24 hours ago... Winning an exhibition game against bunch of arrogant ECHL players that would never make your national team and all that.

If Belarus wanted to win this one they wouldn't have sent their 4th string goalie and scratched their captain and best player Kalyuzhny. Last night they won in hockey, tonight they won in fighting.
They also waiting for the guy who plays in the KHL finals. I have no idea how Latvia gonna score goals if they couldn't score against Extraleague goalie and defense. 2 Karnaukhov's stinkers is all what you've got.

Dima_BLR

May 13, 2006
Good Old Europe
They will be icing a handful of Russian born players as well, so technically they will be pretty loaded up with imports too.
a handful? lmao! could you list those russian born players, please? it's obvious you know little about belarusian hockey. ok, i'll do it for you: stepanov and filichkin - 2 players on the current team BLR roster - that's a pretty handful, isn't it?:laugh: the funny thing is that nowadays this team is more canadian than russian :D

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
why only russia? usa can steal players as well :D hey, yanks, give us back alex galchenyuk!!!
Lol you mean the Alex Galchenyuk who was born in America, went back to Russia for a while and then moved back to America to play hockey?

a handful? lmao! could you list those russian born players, please? it's obvious you know little about belarusian hockey. ok, i'll do it for you: stepanov and filichkin - 2 players on the current team BLR roster - that's a pretty handful, isn't it? the funny thing is that nowadays this team is more canadian than russian
He went on to give a list...and he listed more than 2 so you should probably address that if you disagree...

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Lol you mean the Alex Galchenyuk who was born in America, went back to Russia for a while and then moved back to America to play hockey?

He only lived the first four years of his life in the US of which he likely has no significant recollection. After those four years he left to Europe and lived in Belarus, Russia, Germany and Italy. At the age of 15 he returned to the US where he only stayed for one season before finally moving to Canada.

Frankly, I don't think he actually considers himself American, the US just happens to have a great national team. Or maybe he does, just seems odd to me that he would consider himself American despite only living there for one year after the very earliest years of his childhood. It's not like his parents are American either.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Exactly, you just lost against our B team. :)

KlichkoBro said:
If Belarus wanted to win this one they wouldn't have sent their 4th string goalie and scratched their captain and best player Kalyuzhny.
You do realize you played against our 7th string goalie from the Hungarian league and that we're missing 15-20 players? You might have trouble beating Hungary with a showing like this.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Who gives a damn about you problems? Who cares that Latvians players don't care about your country? You proud that you weren't demoted! Jeez. I thought you've tried to prove that Latvian hockey is on the rise.
You're missing the point. There are only 2 countries where the World Champs are the highlight of the entire year - Russia and Belarus. The only other countries sending their A rosters are the ones that don't get to play in the World Champs very often or that usually don't play at this level of competition (Kazakhstan, Hungary, Slovenia, Austria, etc.)

And both Russia and Belarus are investing millions just to prop up their national team at the World Champs, to the point where they are paying mercenaries to boost their ranks (in your case). All other hockey programs would find the very thought of it completely absurd, as it serves no purpose. The reason for that is that hockey in East Slavic countries serves purely as a vehicle for national pride. You don't actually care about hockey, you care about the place your national team finishes in. Same with Russia and Kazakhstan. Who cares that their entire top line and #1 D are foreigners, they now have a better NT, everything else is secondary.

Belarus will play at the next WJC-18, Latvia won't.
The last time Belarus played at the U18 WJC was 6 years ago, and you lost against Latvia at that time. :laugh: You haven't won a single point at the WJC level during the last decade. We have 2 points in 2 games in Grand Forks so far. You really should stop projecting your fantasies.

You have been smoked again, my friend.
CfiXKq4WIAAK7Ww.jpg

Dima_BLR

May 13, 2006
Good Old Europe
Frankly, I don't think he actually considers himself American, the US just happens to have a great national team. Or maybe he does, just seems odd to me that he would consider himself American despite only living there for one year after the very earliest years of his childhood. It's not like his parents are American either.
his parents are belarusian. in fact, his dad was also a hochey player, a CF, who was born in minsk, started his career in dinamo minsk and had been a belarus NT player for the period 1998-2005.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
. 5 austrians have been CHL drafted in 2 years, only 2 Belorussians have. Austrians have been drafted in 3 straight years for the USHL, only one Belorussian has

I don't think that you're wrong, but frankly, comparing national programs on the bare number of CHL/USHL drafted players is a bit ridicolous. Those drafts mean next to nothing. If it had any meaning, then Czech R. and Slovakia should have won 10 Olympic golds straight as hundreds of their players got CHL drafted

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
I don't think that you're wrong, but frankly, comparing national programs on the bare number of CHL/USHL drafted players is a bit ridicolous. Those drafts mean next to nothing. If it had any meaning, then Czech R. and Slovakia should have won 10 Olympic golds straight as hundreds of their players got CHL drafted
Means a lot if your local league isn't an NHL draft feeder. You probably haven't been on the scene for mid-major program development but for mid-major programs we're not like Russia where people come to us to scout us. Being CHL/USHL drafted from a mid-major country is comparable to being NHL drafted by a country which receives scouting attention. Russian, Swedish, and Finnish teams have alternative options, however, these kids have no better options. Ranking the mid-majors it is fairly effective however with a country like Switzerland getting more, then a country like Latvia, then a country like Italy likely won't get any...

His saying that Austrian hockey took a step back with relegation and Belorussian hockey took a step forward with promotion at the U18 stage is actually ridiculous. There is no strong correlation among mid-major teams between U18 NT success and overall success. The last time Belarus was at the elite level (09-10) the only played who went on to play for the national team was Arturs Gavrus...the rest have either retired or play scattered hockey in Belarus.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Ranking the mid-majors it is fairly effective however with a country like Switzerland getting more, then a country like Latvia, then a country like Italy likely won't get any...

As long as we beat them in best-on-best tournaments like last time...

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
:laugh:

There was a time when there was an intense competition going on between Latvia and Belarus, but that was back in the 90s/early 00s.

I usually get fired up when someone talks like that about the Latvian national team, but this guy is so out of touch, I don't even know where to start. I'm mostly confused right now, to be honest.

First of all, I truly don't know anyone in Latvia who would be jealous of Belarus, and, in fact, most people in Latvia bring up Belarus as an example of what path not to take in terms of developing our hockey programme. It's a team that has always relied on import players. We diverged from that same path in the 90s, when we also had a bunch of non-Latvian Soviet-born players (such as the now-head coach of the Russian national team Znaroks, etc.), but we focused on developing local players and have never looked back.

I can't really imagine myself cheering for a team that was mostly comprised of mercenaries, which is the case with Italy, Belarus and a couple of other countries.

But let's ignore that for a moment. What specifically should we be jealous of? We've been ranked higher than Belarus in the IIHF rankings more often than not. We've made the Olympics 16 years in a row. You haven't.

Half of our key players don't even want to play in the World Champs anymore, because the tournament has lost some of its prestige and its being reflected in TV ratings as well, so every year now recently we're sending a bunch of our B team players to take part. And yet we haven't been demoted from the Elite tier since we clinched the promotion in 1996. That's 20 years. Some of our players weren't even born back then. Only 6 other national teams have a longer streak going.

Belarus played against such hockey powerhouses as Belgium and the Netherlands as recently as 2004.

All of our national teams (men's NT, U-20, U-18) are playing in the Elite tier. You're playing a tier below at the junior level (both U-20 and U-18). No imports there.

We've had 9 NHL draftees since 2010, and there's more coming. You've had a grand total of 1 NHL prospect in that same time frame.

By most indicators we're superior to Belarus while having 5x less material to work with (a population of 1.9M vs. 10M), and we don't even have a single import playing for our national team, yet we are the ones who should be jealous of something? Are you serious right now? :laugh: You would think that a country with a hockey-crazed dictator and more people than Sweden would do better than that.

This is my first post on the board, seems like a good enough place to jump in.

First let me say I am a gigantic fan of the IIHF but live in the American Midwest, and for the most part I don't pay attention to NHL/pro club hockey. But though it is difficult to view or get much news about the IIHF tournaments from here, I see and read as much as I can.

So, I know a little about the flavor and strategy of international hockey but not much about specific players until I see them play in the Worlds, unless it is an absolute superstar who is a household name here.

This whole debate is funny for me to read because Latvia and Belarus are probably my two favorite top-division teams from year to year. I feel in love with Belarus when they beat Sweden in 2002, and the Latvian fans are always an inspiration.

I like the idea of the old Russian hockey heritage being kept alive through the provincial teams, though almost none of them play "pure" Russian/Soviet style hockey any more. There are still elements of it in Latvia's deliberate passing style or the Belarusian transition plays, but in general (and again this is just my limited perspective) both countries have "westernized" their style, even going so far as hiring North American head coaches.

Still, I love to cheer for the underdog and especially the Euro club players, who are put down in the American media every spring when the Worlds happen. If the United States or Canada loses to a team of mostly KHL players the reaction is that our guys just didn't try hard, not that the Europeans are skilled. I talk myself blue trying to tell fans from America that a lot of Euro guys are just as skilled as their favorite NHL players, but simply are not suited for the physical beating of 100+ crash-and-bang games a year on a small rink. It falls on deaf ears and is upsetting. So my "vendetta" has become watching NHL-heavy teams get scalped at the Worlds as often as fate allows it to happen.

Anyway, Namejs...I was shocked and heartbroken to read your post stating that "half" of the best Latvian players don't care and won't play in the Worlds any more. My impression has always been that the Latvian program and its fans are the most passionate, motivated people in the World Championships and Olympics. If it's really true that half of your guys refuse to play, in a way that makes the top-10 ranking even more impressive! I doubt Slovakia or Switzerland could maintain a top-10 ranking if half of their best pros walked away from the program completely.

Still, it's really sad to hear and changes my understanding of the Latvian effort which I have always thought of as an inspiration and an example of pure pride and heritage in sports. Surely...you're exaggerating?

kunabai

Aug 10, 2011
Minsk
final roster has been announced:

koval, lalande, milchakov

dyukov, gotovets, khenkel, korobov, lisovets, shinkevich, ustinenko, yevenko

demkov, drozd, gavrus, kalyuzhny, kitarov, komarov, a. kostitsyn, s. kostitsyn, kovyrshin, linglet, pavlovich, platt, stas, stepanov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad