rio_banner_base_template.png

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
The Qingquan-Om yun chol battle was epic

How these guys can C&J 3 times bodyweight I'll never understand

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Weightlifting has been off the hook so far! All 3 gold medals so far have come down to the final lift. Men's 56kg ended with back-to-back world record totals where you could see the lifters right at the edge of their physical limits at that moment in time.

Last edited:

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
The gold medal lift was absolutely incredible! I was out of my chair with goosebumps. One of the best lifts I've ever seen. Insane!!!

Same for me!!

But I felt bad for Lu, I think he was planning on retiring this year. Ending such a great career with a lost like that must hurt

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
105k men was ultra competitive until Nurudinov turned on the afterburners in the end. He has the fastest split jerk I've ever seen. Loved his victory celebration too. Felt bad afterwards that I was rooting against him (I generally root for the Kazak lifters).

On another note, if you took a drink every time the CBC announcers said "just returning to competition after serving a 2-year suspension", you might be clinically dead. Wonder what would have happened if Ilya Ilyin was competing, but I guess we'll know in 2 years

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Yeah, that was pretty bad. Their golden boy missed all 3 of his C&J attempts after setting a new WR in the snatch. They were openly booing other lifters before/during their lifts, as they thought it was bad judging (it wasn't). The eventual gold medalist C&J'd 13 kg more than the Iranian's failed attempts to set a new record for combined total, so the latter's misses didn't seem to ultimately matter much.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Just saw the replay of the Georgian athlete's winning lift. Crazy strong.

They also showed the Iranian's second lift, mentioned earlier, which got denied. Not sure why the judges rejected it, though, it looked clean to me. But I'm no judge. :dunno:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
In the 2nd phase of the C&J, the jerk, the bar has to go from your shoulders to a completely locked out overhead position in one continuous movement. You can't jerk the lift 95% of the way and then press out the last bit with a momentary pause in-between. It was very close, but there was definitely a press-out with his right arm.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
105k men was ultra competitive until Nurudinov turned on the afterburners in the end. He has the fastest split jerk I've ever seen. Loved his victory celebration too. Felt bad afterwards that I was rooting against him (I generally root for the Kazak lifters).

On another note, if you took a drink every time the CBC announcers said "just returning to competition after serving a 2-year suspension", you might be clinically dead. Wonder what would have happened if Ilya Ilyin was competing, but I guess we'll know in 2 years

His 246kg C&J looked relatively easy, 250kg is not out of reach

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
IMO Salimi got robbed, but the same happened to the estonian, if I'm not mistaken. The jury is just like boxing, they have their own agenda and probably iranian weightlifters had win enough golds already for them. Just saying...

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Didn't catch the country, but apparently one weightlifter got stripped of a medal....just tested positive for strychnine. :help:

I wasn't aware that was a PED.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad