2016 Rio Olympics | ROWING | August 6th thru August 13th | USA Network/CBC |

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I wonder what they would have done if it'd been a dead heat down to the thousandth...

At some point, you've just got to consider a dead heat a dead heat, IMO.

Canada is first at the 500!

re: this - Barney said that he's only really seen one dead heat at the Olympics, and Belarus won it. - it sounds like the regatta officials do NOT like ties they'll find it if in all possible

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Canada is still first,
USA/GBR around .30 behind but we're really close now. come on. Canada :towel:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
USA is doing USA things, and pulled ahead
we're 1.72 behind.
Great Britan in third.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
um.... Canada..? Canada?...

holy. crap :facepalm:

I feel so sorry for Thompson-Willis. that's not how you want to finish an 8th Olympics. Come back to Tokyo, Leslie.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
if it comes to ron maclean saying that rowing canada needs to do some soul searching, you know there are some major changes required

that decision to break up the men's eight boat couldn't have backfired harder

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Embarrassing, really... program should be blown up. Seeing a Canadian boat fade like that is sad.

Take my swimming rant before the games, and insert it here. Honestly that is so pathetically bad. And Barney was all like "it's okay they took it by the throat, they're happy." why? I mean I know the USA has dominated this event for a decade - but they completely faded out, Canada did. And for those who don't know, Rowing Canada is the 2nd most funded programme with On the Podium (Swim Canada being the first (or tied with Rowing). We're seeing the benefits of that + the National swim centre (thanks Pan Am Games) but Rowing?

we only get ONE medal in the entire regatta?
holy smokies.

I know Canada has two training centres - one in BC and one in Ontario - but they need to create just one - and seriously get on it in the 8s (because of our history on both sides), and start doing what Germany does - make EVERYONE do sculls, before you do the other disciplines. that way we have a great fodder system.

like .... i can't even with this anymore. Canoe/Kayak should kick some serious butt, and they really need to because if we only get 1-2 medals in there, Rowing Canada should get a strip torn off them).

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Thank god for Swimming Canada and Rosie, otherwise this Olympics would be a major disappointment for Canada. They'd literally have 4 medals right now.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Take my swimming rant before the games, and insert it here. Honestly that is so pathetically bad. And Barney was all like "it's okay they took it by the throat, they're happy." why? I mean I know the USA has dominated this event for a decade - but they completely faded out, Canada did. And for those who don't know, Rowing Canada is the 2nd most funded programme with On the Podium (Swim Canada being the first (or tied with Rowing). We're seeing the benefits of that + the National swim centre (thanks Pan Am Games) but Rowing?

we only get ONE medal in the entire regatta?
holy smokies.

I know Canada has two training centres - one in BC and one in Ontario - but they need to create just one - and seriously get on it in the 8s (because of our history on both sides), and start doing what Germany does - make EVERYONE do sculls, before you do the other disciplines. that way we have a great fodder system.

like .... i can't even with this anymore. Canoe/Kayak should kick some serious butt, and they really need to because if we only get 1-2 medals in there, Rowing Canada should get a strip torn off them).

Agree with everything here, but especially the bolded. It's such a no brainer, and I can't imagine why Rowing Canada has not adopted this approach yet. I didn't hear the Canadian call but I can't believe that any commentator could be satisfied/proud of that performance... just defies belief considering the history of Canada's rowing program.

Who's expected to medal in kayak for Canada? De Jonge is a Gold medal favorite I believe, Koeverden maybe?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
if it comes to ron maclean saying that rowing canada needs to do some soul searching, you know there are some major changes required

that decision to break up the men's eight boat couldn't have backfired harder

They need to look at what Germany and America does. (I mean Australia/NZ are just masterful - I haven't analyzed their programme - I should, I don't know if we can duplicate it but really).

Rowing Canada needs to soul search, then get kicked in the butt. They are leaning too hard on the "we were young/injured." card and I do think they thought that if they split the eight it should get us 4 medals at least:

1 in Sculls
1 in 4s
1 in lightweight women
1 in single sculls women.

Jennrich and Obee came to play where the hell did everyone else go. (again, with the Sculls I'm not mad at Gibson, it's not his fault his oar crabbed, it's a bad stroke of luck, no pun intended) and Zeeman is simply too young (women's single sculls is an older woman event. look for her in Tokyo, and 2024, she' SHOULD be better).

Thank god for Swimming Canada and Rosie, otherwise this Olympics would be a major disappointment for Canada. They'd literally have 4 medals right now.

not really. in Beijing we only had 1 medal heading into the first Olympic Weekend. London i think we had 4. we're SERIOUSLY a second week country so we'll pick up some more medals. but i'm sorry - I am usually the biggest supportive here, but Shame. Shame. Shame. on Rowing Canada.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
not really. in Beijing we only had 1 medal heading into the first Olympic Weekend. London i think we had 4. we're SERIOUSLY a second week country so we'll pick up some more medals. but i'm sorry - I am usually the biggest supportive here, but Shame. Shame. Shame. on Rowing Canada.

Depends on how things are scheduled.

Right now, with the exception of Swimming, almost every Canadian medal favourite in the first week has fizzled out.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Agree with everything here, but especially the bolded. It's such a no brainer, and I can't imagine why Rowing Canada has not adopted this approach yet. I didn't hear the Canadian call but I can't believe that any commentator could be satisfied/proud of that performance... just defies belief considering the history of Canada's rowing program.

Who's expected to medal in kayak for Canada? De Jonge is a Gold medal favorite I believe, Koeverden maybe?

those are the only two i know. and i don't know how strong Van Koverdan is.
Oh. Oldershaw. he's back.

So if they all hit there's our 3 medalists from London back on the Podium here.

I don't know how our women are here.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
What a dreadful performance by the women's eights this morning. From expected medal favourite to just being destroyed in the last 500m by the other boats.

Terrible to watch. Rowing Canada is a shitshow right now.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
Well, that's...diplomatic. I'm not sure how honest that tweet is and I'm especially surprised that a three-time gold medalist such as Marnie McBean of all people would be so conciliatory after what just happened.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Well, that's...diplomatic. I'm not sure how honest that tweet is and I'm especially surprised that a three-time gold medalist such as Marnie McBean of all people would be so conciliatory after what just happened.

Yeah, would have to imagine she's biting her tongue a bit. She has enough tact not to disparage the program this soon after the regatta. But I'd love to know what she's really thinking eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad