2016 Rio Olympics | FOOTBALL | Men's Concludes 20 Aug | Women's Concludes 19 Aug

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Tancredi not evening jumping for balls :laugh:

Fair to say this is probably Tancredi's and Sinclairs last tournament. Both are so damn slow.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The last time these two teams played, Canada won. Sinclair was benched.

Now with Sinclair in, it's looking like an easy win for the Germans.

What gives? :help:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The last time these two teams played, Canada won. Sinclair was benched.

Now with Sinclair in, it's looking like an easy win for the Germans.

What gives? :help:

3 reasons:

1) Germany had on their A squad today and actually went for it.
2) Canada has missed a crapload of chances. They have themselves to blame. Boneheaded tackle, Becky miss, Matheson miss etc...
3) Sinclair is 33 and was never really that fast. The game has passed her, she should have probably retired at the World Cup.

I still believe Sinclair and the Canadians were robbed of a gold medal opportunity in 2012. That was the best shot this current crop of players had towards winning it. Hopefully the next generation of players win a tournament for Canada.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Safe to say it's the end for Sinclair either way.

Yeah, I think that was expected before this tournament. I can't see her hanging around until the 2019 World Cup. Hopefully she becomes an assistant coach or something. She's an icon for the game.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
why would herman have issues?

I'm only curious. He's taken this team and its profile farther and higher than most would have expected when he took the job. Bronze in London was great, controversy aside. The World Cup was supposed to be another step forward for us, but it turned out being a huge step back. Rio was supposed to be redemption for both Vancouver and London, but now we can only match London after being defeated handily in the semis.

I'm not saying he should be fired. I'm wondering though if Canada is now at a level of being to attract a more accomplished manager and if they would pull the trigger on it.

You also could argue though, that given what Herdman has done for this program, that he is the right guy for the job to lead us into the post-Sinclair era, and I wouldn't argue with that either.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If he's turfed after the next game, here's hoping our men's team considers bringing him on board.

Feels like it's been a long time since they were even relevant.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm only curious. He's taken this team and its profile farther and higher than most would have expected when he took the job. Bronze in London was great, controversy aside. The World Cup was supposed to be another step forward for us, but it turned out being a huge step back. Rio was supposed to be redemption for both Vancouver and London, but now we can only match London after being defeated handily in the semis.

I'm not saying he should be fired. I'm wondering though if Canada is now at a level of being to attract a more accomplished manager and if they would pull the trigger on it.

You also could argue though, that given what Herdman has done for this program, that he is the right guy for the job to lead us into the post-Sinclair era, and I wouldn't argue with that either.

Oh i just thought you were hinting at things.
I'm never against upgrading though if we can get better.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Getting rid of Herdman would be the wrong move and set the program back, IMO.

Oh i just thought you were hinting at things.
I'm never against upgrading though if we can get better.

I'll never put it past the CSA to make a stupid decision. And given the my knowledge of football managers is on the men's side, I have no idea who Canada could even get that would be a guaranteed upgrade for both the squad and the program as a whole than Herdman.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Herdman is a good tactical coach. He's just limited with the talent pool he has. That said, he's improved the roster by leaps and bounds through tremendous scouting.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Herdman is a good tactical coach. He's just limited with the talent pool he has. That said, he's improved the roster by leaps and bounds through tremendous scouting.

And we cannot lose sight of this. The Canadian Women's Football was an utter joke before the 2000's. Then the program went into shambles again in the mid 2000's after they peaked in 2003. Many matches were played out in empty stadiums and media coverage was non-existent. Fortunately the CSA is fully investing in academy's across the country and we are beginning to see the returns in players like Beckie and Buchanan (still needs to mature).

We've always had a star or two surrounded by mediocrity. Sinclair and Hooper were completely on their own in previous tournaments. We are now seeing signs of evolving depth.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
And we cannot lose sight of this. The Canadian Women's Football was an utter joke before the 2000's. Then the program went into shambles again in the mid 2000's after they peaked in 2003. Many matches were played out in empty stadiums and media coverage was non-existent. Fortunately the CSA is fully investing in academy's across the country and we are beginning to see the returns in players like Beckie and Buchanan (still needs to mature).

We've always had a star or two surrounded by mediocrity. Sinclair and Hooper were completely on their own in previous tournaments. We are now seeing signs of evolving depth.

I'd add that what Herdman is doing now is much more impressive than in the early 2000's. I'd argue the only reason Canada had a peak at that point was because women's soccer was still a fairly novel idea and not many countries had developed strong programs. Watching some of the games all Canada did was long bomb aerial balls. Practically no real skill involved. That Herdman has been able to keep Canada relevant as other nations have caught up and surpassed is an accomplishment in itself. The real challenge will be the next ten years. The powerhouses will continue to get better so whoever is in charge for Canada will have their hands full.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I'd add that what Herdman is doing now is much more impressive than in the early 2000's. I'd argue the only reason Canada had a peak at that point was because women's soccer was still a fairly novel idea and not many countries had developed strong programs. Watching some of the games all Canada did was long bomb aerial balls. Practically no real skill involved. That Herdman has been able to keep Canada relevant as other nations have caught up and surpassed is an accomplishment in itself. The real challenge will be the next ten years. The powerhouses will continue to get better so whoever is in charge for Canada will have their hands full.

So true. You look back at old tapes, athleticism and individual skill was the determining factor alone in those tournaments. Nowadays? Pia Sundhage has systematically taken down two soccer giants by employing a proper defensive approach (playing to their strengths and stiffling the offense). I think Herdman has the same ability to adapt as the game evolves.

It's great to see womens football advancing forward as other countries invest in their respective programs.

My only gripe right now is we are lacking domestic womens club teams due to the complete collapse of the USL W-League. The CSA needs to push for the introduction of Canadian teams into the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad