Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
rio_banner_base_template.png

--> 2016 Rio Fencing Schedule <--

--> 2016 Rio Fencing Twitter <--

August 6th: Women's Épée Individual Bronze Medal Bout ||| Women's Épée Individual Gold Medal Bout

August 7th: Men's Foil Individual Bronze Medal Bout ||| Men's Foil Individual Gold Medal Bout

August 8th: Women's Sabre Individual Bronze Medal Bout ||| Women's Sabre Individual Gold Medal Bout

August 9th: Men's Épée Individual Bronze Medal Bout ||| Men's Épée Individual Gold Medal Bout

August 11th:
Women's Épée Team Bronze Medal Match ||| Women's Épée Team Gold Medal Match

August 12th: Men's Foil Team Bronze Medal Match ||| Men's Foil Team Gold Medal Match

August 13th: Women's Sabre Team Bronze Medal Match ||| Women's Sabre Team Gold Medal Match

August 14th: Men's Épée Team Bronze Medal Match ||| Men's Épée Team Gold Medal Match

CARIOCA ARENA 3

VtgvpmYD.jpg
MXOZxH5X.jpg

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Fencing is one of those things I don't completely understand but watching people try to poke each other with long pointy sword thingies is cool.

:laugh: right?
Van Haaster is kicking all the behind right now. I have no idea what's going on, why sometimes we don't get points even though the lovely British man explains it. but all i know is when i see the red light it's like WOOOOOOOO

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
:laugh: right?
Van Haaster is kicking all the behind right now. I have no idea what's going on, why sometimes we don't get points even though the lovely British man explains it. but all i know is when i see the red light it's like WOOOOOOOO

There were a couple times when Van Haaster's light went off but he didn't get the point and they instead re-set their positions which I still don't understand :laugh: but it looked like a pretty dominant victory.

I think it's an all North American match-up next round between him and Meinhardt.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
In foil fencing you have this weird thing called "right-of-way". Basically it means that if you are attacked you have to defend (parry) before you can hit the guy who's attacking you. Where it gets confusing is determining what constitutes an attack, and then timing. If your opponent attacks you can attack into his/her preparation if you hit early enough before you are hit. It does leave things open to interpretation to some extent. You have the same kind of thing in saber. Epee is much simpler, whoever hits first gets the touch.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
In foil fencing you have this weird thing called "right-of-way". Basically it means that if you are attacked you have to defend (parry) before you can hit the guy who's attacking you. Where it gets confusing is determining what constitutes an attack, and then timing. If your opponent attacks you can attack into his/her preparation if you hit early enough before you are hit. It does leave things open to interpretation to some extent. You have the same kind of thing in Sabre. Epee is much simpler, whoever hits first gets the touch.

That clears things up and makes it easier to understand, thank you :)

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Aw well, Silver is more than fine. That was a little bit of a mismatch but he put up a decent effort. Massialas should be proud, especially after fighting back against Giorgio in the QF.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Considering that Massialas is the only the 2nd US man to win an individual medal in Olympic fencing since 1964 (the other being bronze in saber in 1984), this is a pretty great result. He's only 22, he's easily got 2 more Olympic Games ahead of him.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Considering that Massialas is the only the 2nd US man to win an individual medal in Olympic fencing since 1964 (the other being bronze in saber in 1984), this is a pretty great result. He's only 22, he's easily got 2 more Olympic Games ahead of him.

Yeah the USA isn't historically strong in any of the fencing disciplines which is why I got funny looks from people when I went ballistic at Mariel Zagunis winning gold in Sabre at Athens and Beijing. Nobody understood how huge that was.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yeah the USA isn't historically strong in any of the fencing disciplines which is why I got funny looks from people when I went ballistic at Mariel Zagunis winning gold in Sabre at Athens and Beijing. Nobody understood how huge that was.

Yup. And women's saber was a relatively recent addition to international fencing so we weren't behind the Europeans. Even Westbrook in '84 probably wouldn't have medaled had it not been for the Soviet boycott. So Massialas winning silver is a pretty big deal for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad