OT: 2016 Redskins Part X: Nobody's Perfict (4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I got 11 I would no doubt take over Cousins. I got 11 I have doubts about (might be an upgrade over Cousins but might not) marked with *. Rest I have no doubts I don't want instead of Cousins.

Arizona Cardinals - Carson Palmer*
Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan*
Baltimore Ravens - Joe Flacco
Buffalo Bills - Tyrod Taylor
Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton
Chicago Bears - Jay Cutler
Cincinnati Bengals - Andy Dalton*
Cleveland Browns - Josh McCown
Dallas Cowboys - Dak Prescott
Denver Broncos - Trevor Siemian
Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford*
Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rodgers
Houston Texans - Brock Osweiler
Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck
Jacksonville Jaguars - Blake Bortles*
Kansas City Chiefs - Alex Smith*
Los Angeles Rams - Case Keenun
Miami Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill*
Minnesota Vikings - Shaun Hill/Sam Bradford
New England Patriots - Jimmy Garoppolo*/Tom Brady
New Orleans Saints - Drew Brees
New York Giants - Eli Manning
New York Jets - Ryan Fitzpatrick
Oakland Raiders - Derek Carr
Philadelphia Eagles - Carson Wentz*
Pittsburgh Steelers - Ben Roethlisberger
San Diego Chargers - Philip Rivers
San Francisco 49ers - Blaine Gabbert
Seattle Seahawks - Russell Wilson
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jameis Winston*
Tennessee Titans - Marcus Mariota*

You wouldn't take Winston over him?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
You wouldn't take Winston over him?

I have pause about Winston after the Griffin debacle, same with Mariota.

It will be interesting to see how Winston performs this year. And with him on my fantasy team I will surely be paying attention. ;)

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Hey, it's your list, but for most people it's way more than 11. IMO, there are some glaring exceptions there...

Langway threw out the number 16. I was curious if there were 16 better QBs based on my opinion. I came up with 11. So who do you have, Roughing? Especially the glaring exceptions. I made it easy for you, I typed up the list. All you have to do is quote and highlight. ;)

And to clarify, the bold QBs I'd take over Cousins no doubt. The ones with * after their names I have doubts. I might take some or all over Cousins at some point but not right at this moment.

Last edited:

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Langway threw out the number 16. I was curious if there were 16 better QBs based on my opinion. I came up with 11. So who do you have, Roughing? Especially the glaring exceptions. I made it easy for you, I typed up the list. All you have to do is quote and highlight. ;)

And to clarify, the bold QBs I'd take over Cousins no doubt. The ones with * after their names I have doubts. I might take some or all over Cousins at some point but not right at this moment.

Ryan, Dalton, Winston, Stafford, Bortles, & Smith easily. Mariota, Wentz, & Tannehill probably. I'd put Cousins around 20, and that's only because Palmer is old, but he's clearly better for this season. The guys under Cousins are mostly young but it's not hard to image a couple of them becoming better QBs either.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Ryan, Dalton, Winston, Stafford, Bortles, & Smith easily. Mariota, Wentz, & Tannehill probably. I'd put Cousins around 20, and that's only because Palmer is old, but he's clearly better for this season. The guys under Cousins are mostly young but it's not hard to image a couple of them becoming better QBs either.

I would label those you listed as lateral moves in regards to Cousins, accept for Winston and maybe Bortles. They have potential. I'm not into lateral moves. Thats where we differ.

Also, a number of the 21+ QB's are not young.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I would label those you listed as lateral moves in regards to Cousins, accept for Winston and maybe Bortles. They have potential. I'm not into lateral moves. Thats where we differ.

Also, a number of the 21+ QB's are not young.

We were talking about "above average" in the league, right? So I assumed that meant current ability more than age and potential. If that's the case, then Cousins has a question mark over his head and is probably middle of the pack somewhere with ability to move both directions, up or down.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
We were talking about "above average" in the league, right? So I assumed that meant current ability more than age and potential. If that's the case, then Cousins has a question mark over his head and is probably middle of the pack somewhere with ability to move both directions, up or down.

I don't think I brought age into it. Just responding to a comment.

And I don't know what the parameters are for this discussion. It started simply with 16 better QBs than Cousins. I came up with 11 clearly better than Cousins and 11 where it's not so clear, at least to me.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think I brought age into it. Just responding to a comment.

And I don't know what the parameters are for this discussion. It started simply with 16 better QBs than Cousins. I came up with 11 clearly better than Cousins and 11 where it's not so clear, at least to me.

Ok, others may have specified "young" but we're also talking about potential and the future so that's probably confusing.

I'm saying if we're talking about right now, does that change anything? Cousins had a good year but haven't players like Ryan and Palmer also proven themselves to be pretty capable? Tannehill? Dalton? Smith? Stafford? I don't think those guys are worse than Cousins. Maybe it's close and you did mark them with * to indicate that. I'm saying imo there are more known elements with those guys that might tip that balance toward being better/safer choices for this season than Cousins who is on a "prove it" franchise tag contract.

If given a few years with the Skins and inserted into the lineup with the same chance to learn/practice, would those doubtful QBs likely perform better or worse than Cousins given the same teammates? Seriously asking, not rhetorically making a point. I have him on 2 fantasy teams so I really, really hope he does well.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Ok, others may have specified "young" but we're also talking about potential and the future so that's probably confusing.

I'm saying if we're talking about right now, does that change anything? Cousins had a good year but haven't players like Ryan and Palmer also proven themselves to be pretty capable? Tannehill? Dalton? Smith? Stafford? I don't think those guys are worse than Cousins. Maybe it's close and you did mark them with * to indicate that. I'm saying imo there are more known elements with those guys that might tip that balance toward being better/safer choices for this season than Cousins who is on a "prove it" franchise tag contract.

If given a few years with the Skins and inserted into the lineup with the same chance to learn/practice, would those doubtful QBs likely perform better or worse than Cousins given the same teammates? Seriously asking, not rhetorically making a point. I have him on 2 fantasy teams so I really, really hope he does well.

None of the QB's you have listed have either made the playoffs or had playoff success when they did. Maybe if they were put into Cousins position on the Skins they would of performed better than Cousins did, but maybe they wouldn't. Thats why I say it would be a lateral move.

Thats why the QB's in bold on my original list were selected, accept for Carr. Difference makers at the QB position with the resumes to back it up. As for Carr, I put him in bold because I like the way he plays the position. He has moxey, swagger, cojones, a chip on his shoulder, whatever you want to call it. Reminds me a little of Favre. I saw that last year and I really saw that watching him play week 1 vs NO. Rivers is the same way, but a lot older. Still would take him in a heart beat.

So, yeah, maybe that helps explain things a bit better. I got 11 I would take right now over Cousins. Then 11 I see as lateral moves. Could be, or are, better than Cousins, but not by much. And not better than Cousins enough to justify the switch. The rest I have no desire to see in a Skins uniform for reasons that don't really matter.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Above average would be in that 11-15 range, which may or may not include Cousins, but I'd need to see an even better season than last year to put him firmly in that category. His Week 1 showing was mostly awful and didn't suggest a QB ready for bigger and better things. Part of that is actually beating a winning team for once. If he can't lead them over winning teams they may be a 5-7 win team this year at best.

I was thinking mostly who you'd prefer right now so in addition to WH's 11 I'd add Bortles, Ryan, Smith, Palmer, Dalton and Winston. That brings it to 17 and makes Cousins slightly below average. Depending on how Stafford (who is the same age as Cousins) and some of the younger QBs do that may be generous.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I know, I know. I just don't have a lot of faith in Cousins.

The scenario I'm envisioning is if the Bears decide to cut Cutler after this year (they'll probably have a top 5 draft pick and may decide to go with one of the many talented QBs) and we have a parting of the ways with Cousins. The list of 2017 free agent QBs is brutal with a capital B. I'd rather not spend a 1st on a QB or commit top dollar to Cousins unless he comes close to replicating the last half of last year.

No man, just NO.

FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS ASK FOR CUTLER AS THEIR QB.

sorry, we all know this is true, and part of the dudes by-laws

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No man, just NO.

FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS ASK FOR CUTLER AS THEIR QB.

sorry, we all know this is true, and part of the dudes by-laws

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/michael-martellus-bennett-jay-cutler

I ask Michael, who's famously critical of the league's overpaid passers, what he thinks of Jay Cutler.

"Worst quarterback in the NFL," he says.

"I'd be open and he'd throw into double coverage," says Martellus, who spent the past three seasons as Cutler's teammate in Chicago.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I have pause about Winston after the Griffin debacle, same with Mariota.

It will be interesting to see how Winston performs this year. And with him on my fantasy team I will surely be paying attention. ;)

Winston really has nothing in common with Griffin. He's a drop back QB who ran a pro-style offense in college. A better comparison would be EJ Manuel, but Winston had a far better rookie season and is generally lauded as a superior QB. First game this season, so far so good.

Sep 19, 2008
Back to watching home games at home instead of being at the game. They better win today.

Steelers are a very good team.

Dallas is not.

No Romo, shut up all the chaos. Win today decisively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad