GDT: 2016 Playoff Thread Part II: The All Amercian spring edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Like I said in the previous page - it's better for fans to be MORE critical than LESS critical.

Being complacent is no way to encourage or indicate to the management that the YOU (the fan) want them to win. And it removes impetus from them to take risks and make moves in order to win.

I like that they're critical - some will be distraught and say things they don't really mean (fire Q, trade Seabrook, etc.) but it's good to see less back-patting and self-congratulating from a fanbase and organization.

The Habs and their fans deserve each other. We sniff our own farts and pimp out our history more than any, maybe it'd do us good to be more critical... maybe it would've avoided 5 year extensions to do-nothing, know-nothing GMs...

I hate to break this to you. Players don't care what fans think. Management doesn't care what fans think or say. And for good reason. There is too much emo in social media and on message boards.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I hate to break this to you. Players don't care what fans think. Management doesn't care what fans think or say. And for good reason. There is too much emo in social media and on message boards.

It's actually stupid if teams don't care what fans think. Sure, ignore the casual fan. But look at this board. Every aspect of this team is debated to the nth degree with hundreds of eyes on the team. There are some great amateur hockey minds in here. Literally employing one person to cull through the information here and feed it to management would be beneficial.

There are plenty of places online where amateur people put in hours for the love of something and end up creating and innovating incredible things. To think that there is 0 relevant information compiled here would be foolhardy.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
It's actually stupid if teams don't care what fans think. Sure, ignore the casual fan. But look at this board. Every aspect of this team is debated to the nth degree with hundreds of eyes on the team. There are some great amateur hockey minds in here. Literally employing one person to cull through the information here and feed it to management would be beneficial.

There are plenty of places online where amateur people put in hours for the love of something and end up creating and innovating incredible things. To think that there is 0 relevant information compiled here would be foolhardy.

What kind of useful information do you think anyone can find on this site?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
We're not just fans, we're consumers.

The Hawks played in an empty stadium for years because the fans didn't like Wirtz's blackout rules and management. In England, fans protest and walk out to send messages. It's only in Quebec that we replaced Catholicism with Canadiensism.

The Habs are a religion here and beyond criticism, it's really sad.

What kind of useful information do you think anyone can find on this site?
None from sophists like you.

Mad Brills*

management should care about what the fans think, as if ratings go down and tickets to, they're ****ed.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
lots of schadenfreude in this thread... but why do ppl hate the Hawks again? because they're good? :huh:

Most people don't weem to hate the Hawks they just want a new winner crowned. Hawks are still a damned good team, and it's ridiculous that they played the Blues in the 1st round. OTOH, if it had been the conference 1-8, they would've played San Jose. The West and especially the Central, well, it's ridiculously tough to get through.

The Hawks could be right back in it next year. They probably should've spent that 1st on a D rather than Ladd, who was invisible and won't be back. He did less than Weise, who barely played. Ladd is very, very over rated. No way I want to pay that guy $6m+.

If the Hawks have to trade Shaw because of the cap, I hope the Habs are in on that. I expect the Hawks to ask for Beaulieu again though.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Are you being serious? Habs management listening to this board would be a terrible idea! No coach or GM would last a year and our team would be made up entirely of rookies with every player over 30 or under 6'0 being traded for scraps.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
None from sophists like you.

What makes you say so?

For the record, I think that there's no useful information to gather from anyone on this site that isn't already at the disposal of most teams.

Are you being serious? Habs management listening to this board would be a terrible idea! No coach or GM would last a year and our team would be made up entirely of rookies with every player over 30 or under 6'0 being traded for scraps.

Agreed. I can't believe some people genuinely believe that NHL teams should consult HFBoards.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Plus, people rarely admit their mistakes or change their opinion as time goes by. It's nice and all to say we missed out on Palmieri but I don't recall many people saying we should target him or that we should have outbid the Devils when the trade went down.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

What makes you say so?

For the record, I think that there's no useful information to gather from anyone on this site that isn't already at the disposal of most teams.

Agreed. I can't believe some people genuinely believe that NHL teams should consult HFBoards.
No one is saying that teams should consult HF posters. But to pretend that the fans should have no say, no voice and no feedback is the other extreme.

Many fans don't know nothing, that's true. But there are some knowledgeable (and exasperated) fans who do know about hockey - so it's tired and boring to see fanboys go "well you're not paid X/year to manage a team, so pipe down with your criticism".

Fans are there to react to the team, to consume and react, and a lot of them are disgusted with the hockey they're seeing come from the Habs.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Plus, people rarely admit their mistakes or change their opinion as time goes by. It's nice and all to say we missed out on Palmieri but I don't recall many people saying we should target him or that we should have outbid the Devils when the trade went down.

No one is saying that teams should consult HF posters. But to pretend that the fans should have no say, no voice and no feedback is the other extreme.

Many fans don't know nothing, that's true. But there are some knowledgeable (and exasperated) fans who do know about hockey - so it's tired and boring to see fanboys go "well you're not paid X/year to manage a team, so pipe down with your criticism".

Fans are there to react to the team, to consume and react, and a lot of them are disgusted with the hockey they're seeing come from the Habs.

I'm fine with fans reacting to the team, but Chris Cutter just pointed out why the team shouldn't listen to them.

Fans are wrong all the time just like GMs so it's hard to say the team would be better off listening to us. Just look at some old trade threads on this board and the main one, great trades derided as idiotic at the time, picks labelled as busts before they went on to become great NHLers, etc.

Management will absolutely make mistakes but I'd rather they trust in their advisors then listen to HFHabs whose opinions on players swing dramatically with one bad giveaway or one clutch goal.

Bergevin and co. will listen to fans when they say they want a winning team, they just won't listen when they say to build one he should get Drouin for Eller, Emelin and a 2nd.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

Really?

There are some great amateur hockey minds in here. Literally employing one person to cull through the information here and feed it to management would be beneficial.

Literally paying someone to read HFboards seems like consultation to me.

Regardless, HFBoards does not speak for Habs fans. It doesn't even speak for the more knowledgeable ones.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
HFBoards is great for information on prospects (and even then you need to identify the gem posters and the phonies), information on other teams and their players (which is risky because of homerism) and debating certain topics. There isn't a Scotty Bowman hiding on this site, I think the idea of hiring a person to scroll through HF is pretty silly. I don't think a scout or people in a management position should have to rely on the information provided by Hawks4TheCup2015 to know whether or not Sharp was done or not last year. If our scouts can't even do that by themselves, there's seriously something wrong with this organization.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Sam Pollock said it best:

"Responding to the media, or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing. The fans are great, but the thing they respect most is a winner. Don’t get me wrong, we were very conscious of our fans. But we ran the team. The thing that the fans know the least is managing a sports franchise."

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

The fans definitely should have no say and no voice.

Some fans couple of years ago wanted to trade Subban for Matt Read ...

The thing i hate though is the people pretending all DGs are good and know best because they are DGs at the NHL level. That's not true. Some DGs are really bad and outside of financial/jurisdictional management don't know much more than knowledgeable fans.

Like if you say a trade is bad then you can't say that because he's a DG at NHL level so he must knows better. Nah some DGs do make lot of bad trades (clearly bad day 1) and are basically not good at their job and should be posters here instead of DGs in the NHL.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
HFBoards is great for information on prospects (and even then you need to identify the gem posters and the phonies), information on other teams and their players (which is risky because of homerism) and debating certain topics. There isn't a Scotty Bowman hiding on this site, I think the idea of hiring a person to scroll through HF is pretty silly. I don't think a scout or people in a management position should have to rely on the information provided by Hawks4TheCup2015 to know whether or not Sharp was done or not last year. If our scouts can't even do that by themselves, there's seriously something wrong with this organization.

I'm not saying there's a Scotty Bowman on this site.. but we've seen a bunch of advanced stats bloggers get hired by teams, so to say that there isn't things out there that teams don't have access to, is false.

When you have passionate people putting in their time for free and become increasingly knowledgeable, there are valuable nuggets that can be found. Honestly, look at what organizations pay for fired coaches, paying 40k a year for a person to scour the internet, using collective group-thinks like HFBoards, would not be a terrible investment. They're spending more on pro scouts who CAN'T identify Sharp is or isn't done.

Hell, this board has known about many of the MT shortcomings, problems with systems, MB's ineptitude long before the media paid to cover this team did. All the criticism coming out now, is stuff we have clamored about for years. Sometimes, yes, a group of dedicated people with passion, without a paid scope and investment, can identify things people who are too close to the situation can't.

Obviously, no one is rushing to take an S Bah post to Bergevin. The person collecting information would need hockey knowledge as well. I'm not talking about some guy saying "420HabsBlazeIt just proposed Desharnais and a 5th for McDavid, you should offer it Marc"

But they could certainly go, "Here's a discussion about the quality of Lars Eller at C vs. at Wing, here's a compiled list of arguments for and against, with statistics, video evidence and anecdotes for both sides." -- It's been obvious to all of us that Eller is better at C than at Wing, yet MT kept him there, maybe it's his ineptitude, his stubbornness, but there's value in some of those arguments.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I dont want management to react to fans but to listen is another story.

Bigger concern is management is doing things to appease the media who are pushing their own agenda.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I don't hate the Hawks, they are a great team. I cheered for them in 2010, 2013 and even last year but I'm happy that the duopoly of Chicago and LA ended. Time for a new NHL franchise to experience winning the Cup, hopefully a team that hasn't won yet.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Really?

Literally paying someone to read HFboards seems like consultation to me.

Regardless, HFBoards does not speak for Habs fans. It doesn't even speak for the more knowledgeable ones.

With statements like that, it clearly doesn't.

Sword

May 26, 2014
Just happy that the team with Duncan Keith and Andrew Shaw is out. Hopefully, the Preds can eliminate the Ducks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad