2016 NHL Entry Draft Thread Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
Laine has been named to Team Finland for Euro Cup, Puljujarvi isn't on the team. If I recall correctly, Lehkonen didn't make the Euro Cup until his 20 year old season this year. In no way am I comparing the two players, just giving a reference point.

Laine will be the youngest player to wear men´s national team jersey in 67 years for Finland.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Something worth noting is that because Montreal and Minnesota have both been so bad lately, our 2nd round picks are going to give us a chance at some pretty good players. We currently pick 7th, 37th, and 46th

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Something worth noting is that because Montreal and Minnesota have both been so bad lately, our 2nd round picks are going to give us a chance at some pretty good players. We currently pick 7th, 37th, and 46th

We could considerably add to that if we take the complete tank route, which would be smart. I fully believe we could get at least another first if we play our cards right at the deadline ( Pleky,Markov,Eller,etc.) .

Dec 2, 2010
Even you, Pompeius? Can we stop bringing the ****** trade / current team talk into this thread? Can we keep this about the draft eligibles?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Even you, Pompeius? Can we stop bringing the ****** trade / current team talk into this thread? Can we keep this about the draft eligibles?

Fair enough, I tried to keep it pick related but I guess it's still a bit out of topic. I'll refrain from that in the future. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me Dekster ! ;)

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
My NHL has just updates their mock draft. I would be very happy if it played out this way (I would obviously love to have top 3, but the chances of that happening are fairly low).

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Thanks for the link. I have a real hard time believing that all of these three teams, the Canuks, Calgary, and Edmonton, will draft before us. I'm not even sure Winnipeg or Toronto will.

So is Pierre-Luc Dubois francophone? Is that why we are predicted to pick him?

I'm still hoping for a top 5 pick, since any of those guys would look good on our team.

Interesting that the list has the Islanders winning the cup, and the Habs with the Ranger's pick.

Should be an interesting draft season.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Thanks for the link. I have a real hard time believing that all of these three teams, the Canuks, Calgary, and Edmonton, will draft before us. I'm not even sure Winnipeg or Toronto will.

So is Pierre-Luc Dubois francophone? Is that why we are predicted to pick him?

I'm still hoping for a top 5 pick, since any of those guys would look good on our team.

Interesting that the list has the Islanders winning the cup, and the Habs with the Ranger's pick.

Should be an interesting draft season.

Not really any of those guys. I see Chychrun falling out of the top 5 easily. It's always about the team's preferences. If a guy like Jones went 4th, any other defenseman can go outside of the top 5. Juolevi will probably surpass him.

I just can't see us picking a def instead of a forward right now. We lack scoring, offensive talent.

If Tkachuk and Dubois are gone, you go for Nylander or Gauthier.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
My order of preference is probably

Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi
Sergachev
Chychrun
Dubois
Juolevi

if we draft 7th.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Not really any of those guys. I see Chychrun falling out of the top 5 easily. It's always about the team's preferences. If a guy like Jones went 4th, any other defenseman can go outside of the top 5. Juolevi will probably surpass him.

I just can't see us picking a def instead of a forward right now. We lack scoring, offensive talent.

If Tkachuk and Dubois are gone, you go for Nylander or Gauthier.

If we're top 3 then no question we go with Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi.

But outside of that? Guys like Dubois, Tkachuk, Nylander, Gauthier will take a year or two before they make the NHL and another year or two before they'll have the type of impact we're looking for. Getting them won't help us score goals any time soon. It's an IMMEDIATE problem that needs to be solved through UFA or trades (or one of the top 3 picks).

If we have to wait a year anyway, might as well go D, get a Chychrun/Juolevi/Sergachev who can fill Markov's shoes when his contracts up. Otherwise I don't see how we solve that problem.

I think we have to take into consideration what the market's giving us. Outside of Hedman in 2017 there are no top pairing UFA LD available (Yandle is best used in a sheltered role), and there are no Ryan Murray type players available who have top pairing D upside. Certainly not without a talented young roster player coming back (think Gallagher or Galchenyuk), which just creates another hole.

On the other hand, just this year you have guys up front like Staal and Ladd who have won cups and could easily return to previous form, Eriksson is a terrific two-way winger whose having a great year, Boedker is a young consistent ~50 point guy, and there's always the jackpot in Stamkos.

Then you have extremely talented young players who are available in Yakupov and Drouin. Kyle Turris seems to be working out pretty well in Ottawa and both these guys have more talent than he ever did. And they're probably available for non-roster players and draft picks.

There are avenues available to us to improve our scoring by at least as much as guys in the second tier of this year's forwards. With Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi being a completely different story. The difference in replacement value between the top 3 LD and whatever other alternatives are available to us to solve our top pairing LD issue is too good to pass up IMO.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax

But outside of that? Guys like Dubois, Tkachuk, Nylander, Gauthier will take a year or two before they make the NHL and another year or two before they'll have the type of impact we're looking for. Getting them won't help us score goals any time soon. It's an IMMEDIATE problem that needs to be solved through UFA or trades (or one of the top 3 picks).

I agree, I don't think we should be too stringent on getting a forward; we have a gaping need at LD too. We should go for BPA.
I'd go:
Matthews
Laine
Pulju
Juolevi
Chychrun
Tkachuk
Dubois
Nylander
McLeod
Jost
Sergachev

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I agree, I don't think we should be too stringent on getting a forward; we have a gaping need at LD too. We should go for BPA.
I'd go:
Matthews
Laine
Pulju
Juolevi
Chychrun
Tkachuk
Dubois
Nylander
McLeod
Jost
Sergachev

yea.. Sergachev wont be available at #11, he has 40 pts in 49 games as of today

effortless

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014

If we have to wait a year anyway, might as well go D, get a Chychrun/Juolevi/Sergachev who can fill Markov's shoes when his contracts up. Otherwise I don't see how we solve that problem.
(...)
There are avenues available to us to improve our scoring by at least as much as guys in the second tier of this year's forwards. With Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi being a completely different story. The difference in replacement value between the top 3 LD and whatever other alternatives are available to us to solve our top pairing LD issue is too good to pass up IMO.

I agree. We have 2 important needs : Top 6 player and a Top2 LD.
I just hope we can solve the 2 at this draft (another first round choice) or/and this year by a trade for a young prospect.
Option 1 : We have to take the best player available. If it's a LD, go; if it's a forward; go.
Option 2 : trade down a couple of selections (ex.: from 4th-6th to 7th to 9th) for a young prospect (LD or Forward), and than select the best player available.

Just hope the Habs will pick 7th or 8th, not after that.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I'm getting a bit concerned about Chychrun. He has not been overly effective for weeks now and every time I watch him, I see a good D-man but is he going to be elite at the NHL level? I'm not sure. He seems to be coming back to the curve more than anything.

With the NHL draft, a lot of teams are desperate for the scoring forward and the McDavid effect on the fan base is obvious to GMs. My bold prediction is that both Chychrun and Juolevi fall in the draft and that there's an early run on forwards for as many as 6 or 7 picks.

ie. We need to be in that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad