2016 NHL Entry Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't like changing the draft age..

Every year there's players coming in immediately and making an impact. It's hard enough when you have a guy you draft who's stuck in the CHL who should be in the AHL.. why compound the problem with no NHL chance?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
As mentioned in the main board, they'd have to find a way to do it in a way that the draft following the change wouldn't be total garbage.

In a way, I don't think that in itself would be a big problem once all the parties are on board with it. You can find some middle ground , having 4 rounds instead of 7 one year or just skip one year entirely and do two classes the next year with more rounds, etc.

Every year there's players coming in immediately and making an impact. It's hard enough when you have a guy you draft who's stuck in the CHL who should be in the AHL.. why compound the problem with no NHL chance?

Well for a lot of the interested parties it would mostly be a business decision I think. The various junior leagues, for obvious reasons, would love to have their best players one more year to fill their arenas. The thing that WOULD almost certainly happen though is that some of the better players would go the Matthews route and head for Europe for a year or two, unless some rule is put in place.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

I think part of the reasoning behind it would be to change that rule. I think that all players drafted could play in the AHL right away as part of the new rule, or at least faster.

In a way, I don't think that in itself would be a big problem once all the parties are on board with it. You can find some middle ground , having 4 rounds instead of 7 one year or just skip one year entirely and do two classes the next year with more rounds, etc.

Well for a lot of the interested parties it would mostly be a business decision I think. The various junior leagues, for obvious reasons, would love to have their best players one more year to fill their arenas. The thing that WOULD almost certainly happen though is that some of the better players would go the Matthews route and head for Europe for a year or two, unless some rule is put in place.

I thought the discussion was to just change the year of draft eligibility to make it older. The way to do this would be to just not have the draft one year, and then shift every draft class back one year. It doesn't have to be complicated with the 4 rounds or anything I don't think. Skip one year and move everyone back one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
With Markov going out soon, and our left side almost depleted, and Beaulieu showing signs that he might not become first pairing material, I would prefer we draft a LD, Chychrun, Juolevi or Sergachev, depending on where we end-up.

Unless, of course, we get a lottery pick, then it's Matthews, or one of the two Fins.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
With Markov going out soon, and our left side almost depleted, and Beaulieu showing signs that he might not become first pairing material, I would prefer we draft a LD, Chychrun, Juolevi or Sergachev, depending on where we end-up.

Unless, of course, we get a lottery pick, then it's Matthews, or one of the two Fins.

I think you always go forward over D in the top 10 in the draft, unless you have a D ranked at like 2 and you're drafting at 7-8.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I think you always go forward over D in the top 10 in the draft, unless you have a D ranked at like 2 and you're drafting at 7-8.

what, why? talent is talent, if you dont draft players like Rielly, Trouba, Ekblad, Lindholm and company where else do you expect to find them?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Outside of a top 3 pick..look for Buffalo, Edmonton and possibly Arizona picking one of Chychrun, Juolevi and Sergachev (if top 2 are gone, Arizona picks Tkachuk)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
wtf max fortier got picked in the 3rd round of my mock.. i thought no one would know about him :(

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Really?
2015: Hanifin (5th), Provorov (7th), Werenski (8th)
2014: Ekblad (1st), Fleury (7th)
2013: Jones (4th), Nurse (7th), Ristolainen (8th)
2012: Murray (2nd), Reinhart (4th), Rielly (5th), Lindholm (6th), Dumba (7th), Pouliot (8th), Trouba (9th), Koekkoek (10th)
2011: Larsson (3rd), Hamilton (9th), Brodin (10th)

So in the last 5 years, out of 50 players drafted in the top 10, 19 were defenseman. That's 38%. An average of 4 players out of 10. Which is the same differential you'll find on the ice, 3 forwards, 2 defensemen. Like TT1 said, you draft talent and the percentages show exactly that. The 2012 draft makes this abundantly clear. GMs will draft defensemen if they feel they have the most talent.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007

Edmonton took Yakupov over Murray in 2012. Regardless of whether the owner got involved or not, take the BPA. A dear lesson Edmonton has hopefully learned from.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Really?
2012: Murray (2nd), Reinhart (4th), Rielly (5th), Lindholm (6th), Dumba (7th), Pouliot (8th), Trouba (9th), Koekkoek (10th)

So in the last 5 years, out of 50 players drafted in the top 10, 19 were defenseman. That's 38%. An average of 4 players out of 10. Which is the same differential you'll find on the ice, 3 forwards, 2 defensemen. Like TT1 said, you draft talent and the percentages show exactly that. The 2012 draft makes this abundantly clear. GMs will draft defensemen if they feel they have the most talent.

could be a closet Oilers fan :sarcasm:

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Really?

There isn't a huge difference from the ratio of stars/players drafted Defensemen between the top 10 and next 50 picks. For forwards the top 10 is a much better higher percentage at landing a star player.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Traditional vs. New age.

Power forwards don't need to punch faces every game, but if push comes to shove, they can definitely hold their own.

Ovechkin can't
Landeskog can't

A true power forward is big, skilled, physical, tough as nails and fearless.

Landeskog definetely can hold his own.
Landeskog is big, skilled, physical, tough as nails and fearless.

Beaulieu showings signs that he might not become first pairing material is BS.

Also, drafting for need is BS. Drafting a defensemen over a forward at equal talent because your prospect pool is depleted is a thing, but drafting a 18 year old player because you hope he fills a hole in a league where the average age is 27 is also BS.

Also, Juolevi is a really, really nice prospect.

Mercury10

Feb 9, 2012
Vernon, BC
Vees/Vipers game last night.

Jost had his usual non-stop type of game where he clearly is the best player in the game. Some of you might not know that he is the captain of his team as a 17/18yo on a team with some big names and players. Penticton won 6-2 and took a 3-1 lead in the series. Jost had 1g 1a.

As far as Fabbro goes, it took until my 3rd game seeing him play, to see what all the hype is about. I knew he was a steady mistake free Dman but last night he rushed the puck end to end and made a great play that resulted in a goal. The Vipers were much more physical and Fabbro didn't budge when they hit him. It appears that he doesn't necessarily initiate contact but when he gets hit he doesn't shy away at all. He makes very smart and quick decisions.

It would be nice to see these 2 guys again this year. I might see them again if they play Salmon Arm in rd 2, which will be a much better/closer series as far as talent goes.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
A lot of fans will yell if Timmins select another D in the first round, in particular if there is good forwards still available, even more if there's a good Q player still available (ex.: Gauthier).
I prefer to say that i'm ok with the Habs picking a LHD or a forward with our top 10 pick this year.

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Edmonton took Yakupov over Murray in 2012. Regardless of whether the owner got involved or not, take the BPA. A dear lesson Edmonton has hopefully learned from.

Yakupov was the BPA.

And it's not like Murray has developed into a stud yet. He's one of the weakest defenseman that went top 10 that year.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Jost had his usual non-stop type of game where he clearly is the best player in the game. Some of you might not know that he is the captain of his team as a 17/18yo on a team with some big names and players. Penticton won 6-2 and took a 3-1 lead in the series. Jost had 1g 1a.

As far as Fabbro goes, it took until my 3rd game seeing him play, to see what all the hype is about. I knew he was a steady mistake free Dman but last night he rushed the puck end to end and made a great play that resulted in a goal. The Vipers were much more physical and Fabbro didn't budge when they hit him. It appears that he doesn't necessarily initiate contact but when he gets hit he doesn't shy away at all. He makes very smart and quick decisions.

It would be nice to see these 2 guys again this year. I might see them again if they play Salmon Arm in rd 2, which will be a much better/closer series as far as talent goes.

Awesome, thanks for the updates from this series. Wish I could have been there to watch, but should be back for the SA/WK series.

Jost really should be a guy our staff is taking a hard look at. Hope so, at least. There's really no reason to discount him, BCHL or not, he's just too good

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
While I dont really have a problem against drafting Dmens in the top 10, this year it seems the top 10 is stacked with big and physical fowards. The defensemens worth picking top 10 are Chychrun and Juolevi IMO, but with the teams below us being starved for defense, I can't see either make it to 9. I think we are much more likely to see a foward fall to us than one of these defensemens, and if it comes down to Dubois vs. Chychrun, I take Dubois and run.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I thought the discussion was to just change the year of draft eligibility to make it older. The way to do this would be to just not have the draft one year, and then shift every draft class back one year. It doesn't have to be complicated with the 4 rounds or anything I don't think. Skip one year and move everyone back one.

The complicated stuff would only be for the first year you make the switch, because in theory some of the guys that would have been high picks in the new format will already have been taken the year before. You have to kinda ''sacrifice'' one year to get it started. I don't know if my explanation makes any sense :laugh: .

Thanks a bunch !

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Better spreading of talent due to one more year of scouting. Less Busts.

That would push more players to do what Matthews did and move on to other Pro leagues before the draft. Overall it'd better for the parity throughout the league. It would certainly help the lesser draft crews.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
"Always draft BPA"

However, what's BPA? CSS? ISS?

Teams have worked the whole year to make their final rankings. For us outside the business, we can only rely on what we see from external services and us being armchair analysts.

If you have to choose between Chychrun and Dubois, who knows which one is higher on Timmins list. They had Lebanc higher than Kadri IIRC or something like that. Teams don't draft BPA. They draft the player they want the most, regardless of the other remaining prospects. It's not a list of the best player, it's the list of our most wanted.

Who knows, maybe Jost is a top 4 guy? Tkachuk a top 15 instead of top 5.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
"Always draft BPA"

However, what's BPA? CSS? ISS?

Teams have worked the whole year to make their final rankings. For us outside the business, we can only rely on what we see from external services and us being armchair analysts.

If you have to choose between Chychrun and Dubois, who knows which one is higher on Timmins list. They had Lebanc higher than Kadri IIRC or something like that. Teams don't draft BPA. They draft the player they want the most, regardless of the other remaining prospects. It's not a list of the best player, it's the list of our most wanted.

Who knows, maybe Jost is a top 4 guy? Tkachuk a top 15 instead of top 5.

well of course BPA means BPA on their list (our scouting team), 1 team might have Tkachuk #2, another might have him #15. won't know until draft day.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yakupov was the BPA.

And it's not like Murray has developed into a stud yet. He's one of the weakest defenseman that went top 10 that year.

Murray the weakest ? You haven't watched him much ? He's been injrued a lot, sure, but he's a fantastic Dman.

While I dont really have a problem against drafting Dmens in the top 10, this year it seems the top 10 is stacked with big and physical fowards. The defensemens worth picking top 10 are Chychrun and Juolevi IMO, but with the teams below us being starved for defense, I can't see either make it to 9. I think we are much more likely to see a foward fall to us than one of these defensemens, and if it comes down to Dubois vs. Chychrun, I take Dubois and run.

To be honest, I'll be happy with any of Matthews, Puljujarvi, Laine, Chychrun, Dubois, Tkachuck, Nylander, Juloevi. I think that's the top 8, and I wouldn't mind any of them over the other, aside from the first three, being in order. There's no real separation, IMO. Even guys like Gauthier, McLoed, Jost, Bean and Sergachev are not that far off, but I see real separation.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
i have a feeling that Gauthier is gonna end up getting picked quite high come draft day, whats the knock against him?

great size, great speed, great goal scorer (shot and scoring instinct), great hands, great puck possession player, plays on the PK/is defensively responsible, the only thing that hurts him is the lack of assists but that isnt a big of an issue for me.

his style is gonna translate perfectly in the NHL, hes someone who loves going to the net, those type of players always produce. on top of that he actually has talent to go along with his strong net front play.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
i have a feeling that Gauthier is gonna end up getting picked quite high come draft day, whats the knock against him?

great size, great speed, great goal scorer (shot and scoring instinct), great hands, great puck possession player, plays on the PK/is defensively responsible, the only thing that hurts him is the lack of assists but that isnt a big of an issue for me.

his style is gonna translate perfectly in the NHL, hes somehow who loves going to the net, those type of players always produce. on top of that he actually has talent to go along with his strong net front play.

I don't know, most games I've seen he was pretty much a floater with flashes of being a "powerforward"... He's good positionally though. He looks like he lacks consistency and I don't like that, but he's definetely at the top of the 3rd group and I'd be surprised if he fell down the top 10... Unless Jost and McLoed are picked ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad