Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Top 5 pick would be very nice.

Matthews, Pulju, Laine, PLD, Chychrun....

Just a hunch that there might be a bit of a drop-off after that.

We could still grab a good player out of the 6-10 range.

If I had to pick I would like Sergachev or maybe Jost at that point. I feel like Jost will be a lot like Connor in some ways. Underrated because he is playing in a lesser league and then goes to the NCAA and tears it up, though I think to a lesser extent than Connor is now.
He is a UND commit so he won't have very tough competition in his Division. But he'll be a standout on his team.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We could still grab a good player out of the 6-10 range.

If I had to pick I would like Sergachev or maybe Jost at that point. I feel like Jost will be a lot like Connor in some ways. Underrated because he is playing in a lesser league and then goes to the NCAA and tears it up, though I think to a lesser extent than Connor is now.
He is a UND commit so he won't have very tough competition in his Division. But he'll be a standout on his team.

Jost, Fabbro, Keller........where to slot?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Me today, but maybe not tomorrow

Matthews
----
Laine
----
Puljujarvi
----
Dubois
----
Chych
Tkachuk
Nylander
Sergachev
Keller*
Juolevi
---
Undecided

Guys in same tier really can vary quite a bit depending on my mood-au-de-jour.

*I think Keller is getting madly underrated by some scouting services right now with what he's doing in the USHL right now

This is my thought as well at the moment. Really like the top 4 and think it's starting to get pretty solid there. Really hoping we're picking in the top 4.The next tier is where the scouts have to earn their money IMO.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
This is my thought as well at the moment. Really like the top 4 and think it's starting to get pretty solid there. Really hoping we're picking in the top 4.The next tier is where the scouts have to earn their money IMO.

I wonder if we fall to 5th or lower if Myers is somebody we can offer up to move into the top 3? It seems improbable that we keep 3 guys with 20+ minute potential on the right hand side and this might open up some more cap space for a top 6 fwd or some quality depth players. Oh yeah, to the guy talking about Keller I'm pretty sure he was the one catching my eye when I was watching that free streamed game earlier in the season vs Connor. Definitely searched him up afterwards and was pretty surprised at the lack of hype surrounding him.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I wonder if we fall to 5th or lower if Myers is somebody we can offer up to move into the top 3? It seems improbable that we keep 3 guys with 20+ minute potential on the right hand side and this might open up some more cap space for a top 6 fwd or some quality depth players. Oh yeah, to the guy talking about Keller I'm pretty sure he was the one catching my eye when I was watching that free streamed game earlier in the season vs Connor. Definitely searched him up afterwards and was pretty surprised at the lack of hype surrounding him.

A few scouts have keyed in on him but not as many as you'd think. The media scouts have largely ingored him for Tkachuk. Sometimes I swear these guys dont watch these kids play at all.
I think he ends up being a mid 1st steal along with Jost and Fabbro.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Interesting thought. It's hard to say on value, but on our end I would probably be onboard depending who's left. Is the difference between say Tkachuk and Laine Myers? I can't answer that. Seems steep, but I'd love Laine though! ;).

Obviously we could make no moves at the draft as well, but I think Chevy at least has some possible pieces he could move (Chi 1st, our 2nd, some lesser prospects, Burmi, Staff, etc) to try to improve the roster for next season. It will be interesting to see if anything comes to fruition. Maybe the draft is the time to revisit the Hamonic discussions, etc.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Interesting thought. It's hard to say on value, but on our end I would probably be onboard depending who's left. Is the difference between say Tkachuk and Laine Myers? I can't answer that. Seems steep, but I'd love Laine though! ;).

Obviously we could make no moves at the draft as well, but I think Chevy at least has some possible pieces he could move (Chi 1st, our 2nd, some lesser prospects, Burmi, Staff, etc) to try to improve the roster for next season. It will be interesting to see if anything comes to fruition. Maybe the draft is the time to revisit the Hamonic discussions, etc.

I think we should stick with the statis quo on Hamonic if snow is unwilling to take a loss then no deal.

The only player I move picks for at the draft is Drouin. If that aint happening take 3 good prospects and run.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
Me today, but maybe not tomorrow

Matthews
----
Laine
----
Puljujarvi
----
Dubois
----
Chych
Tkachuk
Nylander
Sergachev
Keller*
Juolevi
---
Undecided

Guys in same tier really can vary quite a bit depending on my mood-au-de-jour.

*I think Keller is getting madly underrated by some scouting services right now with what he's doing in the USHL right now

Can I get a quick explanation of why Laine jumped ahead of puljajarvi on everyone's list? Haven't kept up since wjc

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Can I get a quick explanation of why Laine jumped ahead of puljajarvi on everyone's list? Haven't kept up since wjc

Scoring at a higher rate. Looks to be more of a pure goalscorer. Some people covet that more over playmakers like Pulju.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Nope.

You need a pass first or atleast a decent passing center to even compete in this league.

You need goalscorers too. You likely wont get anywhere without at least one consistent 30+ goalscorer. Just look at the Jets putrid totals from this year.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We've had a lot of very consistent sub 30 goal scorers but no absolute pure goal scorers. I mean guys that can hit 30+ with ease. Every contender has at least one. They are part and parcel to forming a true contender IMO.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

I wouldn't just look at it as Trading Myers for the difference between a Laine and Tkachuk, considering we would be adding cap space to pick up someone. Maybe an Okposo or something? Dreaming, but maybe Ladd comes back after winning the cup looking to stay and not cost us over 6 mil AAV. It opens up possibilities and frees up room on the right hand side for Trouba to develop his offensive game on the #2 pp instead of running Buff/Myers. Idk, I'm not as high on Myers as I was at the end of last season. Having seen him play a bit more I'm not a fan of his puck rushing or passing and he simply makes the most sense of the 3 RHD to move to help round out our team, whether that is on LHD or forward.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I wouldn't just look at it as Trading Myers for the difference between a Laine and Tkachuk, considering we would be adding cap space to pick up someone. Maybe an Okposo or something? Dreaming, but maybe Ladd comes back after winning the cup looking to stay and not cost us over 6 mil AAV. It opens up possibilities and frees up room on the right hand side for Trouba to develop his offensive game on the #2 pp instead of running Buff/Myers. Idk, I'm not as high on Myers as I was at the end of last season. Having seen him play a bit more I'm not a fan of his puck rushing or passing and he simply makes the most sense of the 3 RHD to move to help round out our team, whether that is on LHD or forward.

I hear what you're saying, but if I'm evaluating a trade, the extra cap space is a nice feature for us to have for sure, but it doesn't affect how I look at the value of the trade itself.

Trades like that would be part of multiple moves for sure, but I'd want to get full value for a Myers plus top 5 pick is all I'm saying. Regardless if the extra cap space also helps us out on secondary moves.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
What can the Jets do to take home town boy Nolan Patrick in the 2017 draft? He's a bigger version of Toews and if the Jets don't get Matthews this year, then it might be worth making a move for Patrick next year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What if BPA is a LHD? :sarcasm:
2 LHD's please!
You could very easily make an argument for a LHD to be BPA at almost any pick in the first round from at least 3rd overall to 30th. Unless one of the big name guys falls to you late.

Once we have taken a LHD I start leaning towards a RHD with our next pick (always considering BPA, of course). Our system is not stocked with D men and we need system depth on both sides.

IMHO LHD BPA FTW AINEC.

(Just seeing if I can join in entirely with acronyms.)
(yep.)

I understood almost all of that. :laugh:

Am I the only one that feels Chych is underrated? I think everyone leap frogged him because of World Jrs, where he didn't have a chance to play. I still think this guy is a top 5 talent, mixed reviews on him but this guy will be good. I think you take him as first D, and he goes 4 or 5 depending on team.
Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi
Chych
Dubois
Nylander
Tkachuk

That's how I see the top 7 right now.

I don't know the players well enough to say but there seems to be a 'groupthink' turn away from Chych. His scoring is back up to last year's pace and I did see one report that he was concentrating more on learning defensive positioning etc. this year.

This from "The Draft Analyst":
Chychryn is perhaps a more complete version of former top pick (and OHL’er) Aaron Ekblad, and in that we mean both offensively and defensively. And while Chychrun’s invincibility coming into question before the age of eighteen is certainly reason for concern, we view him as the clear-cut top blueliner available in 2016.

Think that the issue with Drouin is much,much broader than that Mort.

We clearly don`t "know" anything with certainty but there is far too much chatter on the main boards which suggest that this goes beyond being a well defined "character" issue; that it goes well beyond simply "standing up to authority"; and, that it is in no way shape or form comparable to the Seguin situation. IMO,the most troubling aspect to some of the chatter is that Drouin has , from his early days in junior right to the present,consistently rejected authority and tried to impose his views on everything from the team he wanted to play for to the linemates he wanted to play with, AND when challenged, has dealt with the differences in a juvenile entitled,self-serving way ie "it`s my way or the highway".

As mentioned above, this is only chatter, but IMO the risks to the downside for the team securing his services are huge. Would sure hope that Chevy has taken an exhaustive, comprehensive approach in doing his due diligence on this guy!

Can't argue. I know there were some rumblings from Halifax too. But we really don't know enough to support any conclusion. If the Jets stayed out of the bidding because they didn't like the character questions I would not be upset. But I hate to tar and feather a kid with so little real knowledge of the facts.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Everything about him seems very impressive. The real test of his abilities will be seeing what he can do at BU next year. If he can continue scoring at a high pace he may be a real mid round steal. Hard to say if any teams have him very high.

I think Gaudreau going in the 4th round has got some experts reconsidering their size bias. Too bad we don't have our 3rd round pick this year. He might be a real good grab early 3rd.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Can't argue. I know there were some rumblings from Halifax too. But we really don't know enough to support any conclusion. If the Jets stayed out of the bidding because they didn't like the character questions I would not be upset. But I hate to tar and feather a kid with so little real knowledge of the facts.

I'd imagine Ehlers would have been asked about what he thought about Drouin. Since the Jets were reported to be in conversation at least up until the deadline, I'd think that the discussion with Ehlers about him was positive.

I don't think Drouin is that bad, I think he's had some people looking out for other than his best interests through his entire life, and that behaviour has affected him somewhat - actually, I'd say that they probably DID have his best interests at heart but went about it the complete wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad