2016 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I like ) - Julien Gauthier I don't know why many here seem to hope we don't take him, also I'm not familiar with Logan stanley but I've read a few positive reviews I'm not sure why most people here hope we don't draft him?

Wanna laugh your ass off?

http://www.tsn.ca/17-julien-gauthier-rw-1.467099

"PROJECTION: GOAL SCORING WINGER
"Trigger man. If the puck gets to him in the right spots around the net, he can score. Big and capable of imposing himself and making it difficult to deter him."

NHL COMPARABLE: KYLE OKPOSO"

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

"Trigger man. If the puck gets to him in the right spots around the net, he can score. Big and capable of imposing himself and making it difficult to deter him."

Okposo used to show a lot of signs of being a real 'power forward' earlier in his career. I think that's what everyone who doesn't watch him assumes he is. We know he's not, he's gone full finesse forward nowadays.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I'm pretty sure Rubtsov said he's coming to the CHL next season, but by all means, keep spewing junk.

" Let's pick this kid". Because he seems really promising
" help us to forget the Lockness monster/ abom snowman that played in BPT " referring to petrov.
" should get the Brighten Beach crowd out to Barclays" Russian people.
So after reading here about him it seems he could be a good player of Russian nationality
That could help us to forget about Petrov and maybe bring some more fans in to the arena.

Not sure where the spewing junk comment fits in.
But by all means keep on doing what you do . Whatever that is .
And next time please remember to put the honey mustard sauce in the bag with my kids chicken nuggets.
LGI

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Okposo used to show a lot of signs of being a real 'power forward' earlier in his career. I think that's what everyone who doesn't watch him assumes he is. We know he's not, he's gone full finesse forward nowadays.

i remember when KO first got drafted he was constantly compared as a young Jerome Igninla. Then we get this dork who loves harry potter and falls all over the ice :sarcasm:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
i remember when KO first got drafted he was constantly compared as a young Jerome Igninla. Then we get this dork who loves harry potter and falls all over the ice :sarcasm:

Actually, KO reminded me a lot of Patrick Flatley in his younger days. He played the body and was relentless on the forecheck, he used to win a ton of board battles. The injuries had to have taken a toll on his psyche because his game gradually gravitated away from being a physical player into a pure finesse forward who preferred using his stick rather than laying the body. Training with that skills coach Belfry (Tavares uses him too), KO got it in his head that he was a skilled finesse guy and you see it in his game now. His game is so soft now, it's a shame considered he's built like a brickhouse.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013

the low hockey sense scares me. I've never really seen any of these guys play except just watching youtube highlights and they all look good on those

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
the low hockey sense scares me. I've never really seen any of these guys play except just watching youtube highlights and they all look good on those

I'm not familiar enough with Gauthier to know if he has poor hockey IQ like Okposo, but I think that comparison was more about the positive aspects of Okposo's game - at least what's perceived by those that don't know KO's game as well as Isles fans.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
is anyone at 19 close to nhl ready maybe gauthier or max jones? if not why not just roll the dice on logan stanley? I'm sure he needs 2-3 years but his ceiling is high

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Ranger fan coming in peace. Grew up on the Island. You guys saw the tweet with the picture of the draft board. I personally think there are deals made, and being kept under wraps. Not here to debate that, Im wondering who would have to be involved for that trade to work.

So the base is:

Isles get the #9
Montreal gets the #19.

So what if it were simply the Isles moving up to #9. who do you guys have that you think the organization would willing to trade in order to do it...

Would they be willing to move BrockNelson and the #19 for #9. Who do you guys rate higher, Nelson or Lee.

From a rangers standpoint, A) they want to get into that 12-17 range to select a defensemen, and B) the bruins are interested in a couple rangers where #14 fits the value. So the rangers being in that slot, with a deal approved, waiting to announce during the draft for draft buzz, it fits.

Im wondering if the Isles @9, and MTL @19 have a realistic fit.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Ranger fan coming in peace. Grew up on the Island. You guys saw the tweet with the picture of the draft board. I personally think there are deals made, and being kept under wraps. Not here to debate that, Im wondering who would have to be involved for that trade to work.

So the base is:

Isles get the #9
Montreal gets the #19.

So what if it were simply the Isles moving up to #9. who do you guys have that you think the organization would willing to trade in order to do it...

Would they be willing to move BrockNelson and the #19 for #9. Who do you guys rate higher, Nelson or Lee.

From a rangers standpoint, A) they want to get into that 12-17 range to select a defensemen, and B) the bruins are interested in a couple rangers where #14 fits the value. So the rangers being in that slot, with a deal approved, waiting to announce during the draft for draft buzz, it fits.

If the Isles somehow got up to #9, and didn't trade a player like Barzal or Pulock to make the deal; I would be thrilled with any of Logan Brown, Jost or Chychrun; probably in that order. Unless of course a top name slipped unexpectedly.

Personally, I like Lee's floor better than Nelson's floor and he is the "safer" player of the two BUT I think Nelson is a far more talented player, just not sure if he wants it bad enough right now. But, if he played a more physical game and with an edge, he is a top-6 player, while Lee is probably (ideally) suited for top-9 on a very good and deep team.

For the Isles to get #9? Who knows. It is a tough call to make a player(s) for pick(s) prognosis, I think it is much easier to trade picks since there is essentially a value chart and you just add up the numbers; because you never know how GMs value those players.

The Montreal GM could love Ryan Strome (I still have a lot of faith in him and think he will bounce back like CdH did) and think he just had a slump last year and maybe Strome is the centerpiece for the deal?

Maybe it is Strome and #19 for #9 and one of #39/#45? I guess they could also like Nelson. I would be shocked if they valued Lee higher than either Strome or Nelson however. But, again, who knows?

As for the Rangers, I assume they would like to move up and select either McAvoy (ideally) or, as a fallback, Fabbro? I could see either of them, unless one of the "big-3" defenders slips enough. To get up to #14, I assume the Rangers would have to center a deal around one of Stepan, Miller, Hayes, Kreider, Lindberg, etc. and then just negotiate offsetting pieces each way to round out the overall deal. Again, it all depends on how the rival GM views those players.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

So the base is:

Isles get the #9
Montreal gets the #19.

Could be MDC and #19 for #9. Not sure if that's worth it but I have to assume Islander's management is making a decision on MDC. I don't think Garth would trade a roster player for that move. He pretty much stated that in his interview. So if it happens, it's a prospect or part of a larger deal maybe to get Pacioretty since Subban is unlikely to be moved and one of them has to go.

I didn't see this tweet, is it in one of our other threads?

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...590?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

There are a few young players the Islanders like in the middle of the first round, but all of them could be gone by the time No. 19 comes up. Among them are Long Beach native Charlie McAvoy, a defensemen entering his sophomore year at Boston University; forward Kieffer Bellows, son of former NHLer Brian and an incoming freshman at BU, and Western League defenseman Jake Bean.

Should the Islanders choose to move back in the first round, there are a couple of intriguing forwards on the radar: Alex DeBrincat, who posted back-to-back 51-goal seasons with Erie of the Ontario League but has questions about his size (5-7, 160 pounds), and Tage Thompson, son of Bridgeport coach Brent Thompson, who has risen steadily up the draft rankings after a 14-goal freshman season at the University of Connecticut.

Please stay away from Debrincat and Thompson.

I'd love to get Bean or Bellows.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada

Does he ever PK? Also don't Isles need someone who can consistently score in shootout and who were their best shootout guys in recent years? Shootout wins may be more important than most people realize. Those points can be the difference of making or missing the playoff.

Who beside the top 5 have the best shootout moves in this draft?

Last edited:

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Yes, they were testing the board, that being said, if snow traded up in this draft I'll be fairly confused.

The ammo we would use to move up should only be used to get an NHL ready player. I would love a crack at one of the guys like Brown or Chychrun, but those guys are years away from helping. We can ill afford a move like that.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Today is going to be interesting. I think we see a lot of trades. More than usually. I hope we get in on the action.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Today is going to be interesting. I think we see a lot of trades. More than usually. I hope we get in on the action.

Agree, I think the trade activity is going to be the highest in probably the past decade or more...maybe even post 2000.

I know the Isles will make atleast one trade, hopefully 1 or 2 that help us now like we need.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...590?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Please stay away from Debrincat and Thompson.

I'd love to get Bean or Bellows.

I agree that I want nothing to do with Tage Thompson. He screams bust.

I'd take the risk on Debrincat but I don't really want to.

I want nothing to do with McAvoy. As many have said here, he's going to college and is a die hard Rangers fan. I'm terrified of him possibly not signing with us to sign with the Rangers. I don't want to take that risk.

Please for the love of all things holy in hockey draft a right handed forward and make it Gauthier or Kunin, but I'd live with Debrincat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad