Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
For all the draft geeks, the junior seasons are starting up shortly.

ESPN's Corey Pronman posted his preliminary top 30 (I seem to have access to it even without Insider): http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nhl-draft/insider/post?id=814

Bob McKenzie's preseason list usually shows up by the end of September.

Since I doubt we pick first, I'm hoping for Tkachuk. I think Gauthier could be a solid pickup if Shero finds a way to add a later 1st.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I would be very very pleased with Tkachuk. I guess that's what I have to look forward to next season...

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Hooray the 2016 Draft Thread!

My goodness there are some good names out there for our pick, likely Top-10. Can't wait to see who distinguishes themselves from the pack but some names to keep in mind for the upcoming season:

Jakob Chychrun - Ekblad-like defenseman even further along in his development, but has an almost glass shoulder. Will he be healthy enough to help lead Sarnia?

Jesse Puljujarvi - It looks like he's added a little weight since last season and will have to adjust his skating to it, but the Ovechkin/Hossa style winger from Finland who has been playing in the highest level since he was 16. Heavy shot, heavy heavy shot. Great scorer, underrated playmaker, needs to work on his creativity more with the puck.

Patrik Laine - A monster of a winger 6'4" 210lbs, Laine is a remarkable combination of pure offensive firepower but has really worked on his skating and two-way play so far. (He's been great for Tappara - from the highest Finnish league - in the Champions League so far...and is starting off the season higher ranked than Puljujarvi...we will see how that turns out. Give them both time to hash it out)

Matthew Tkachuk - the scrappy American playmaker....just seems to me like a solid overall player. Can beat you a variety of ways in the offensive zone and is responsible in his own end...can also beat you a variety of ways with his fists.

Clayton Keller - small, but incredibly high-skilled forward with an unpredictable release on his wrist shot. He might not be in our draft range (might be mid-first pick or so) but he seems extremely promising, just needs to work on his defensive zone commitment

Austin Matthews - THE premier talent in the entire draft. Playing for Zurich in the Swiss NLA this year, it will be interesting to see how that affects his development. Putting up better numbers than Eichel, but playing a different style game, I can't wait to see what happens.

Jordan Kyrou - The quick stickhandler from Sarnia. Needs to add more muscle to his frame, but is very good one on one. Will have to lead Sarnia offensively (and not from the blueline like Chychrun) if Zacha ends up staying in the big club.

Michael McCleod - In my opinion one of the potential breakout forwards of the OHL this year, especially helpful considering it's his draft eligible year, but he's got incredible skating and an elite wrist shot above all else. Just one hell of a toolset.

Max Jones - Not writing too much about Jones. He's the Lawson Crouse of this draft. Still very skilled but a wrecking ball and a true sense of the power forward.

Dmitry Sokolov - Prototypical Russian powerforward playing for Sudbury of the OHL. If his skills can transfer from the larger ice onto the smaller ice, I think we're in for a real treat. Shot-producing machine and he has the opportunity to really move up in the draft.

Logan Brown - HUGE center, 6'6" 225lbs, but has all the makings of a high-powered scoring center. Great skating and shot too.

Mainly talking about forwards here but there are some good defensemen too. Overall this draft features a good amount of high-end American and Finnish talent. This was all off the top of my head, but I'm so excited to talk about the upcoming draft with those who want to discuss it.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Tyler Benson is a machine in my EHM.

But if we leave next draft with Tkachuk I would be so thrilled.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
-I like Tkachuk's all-around game: size, toughness, skating, defense, playmaking, scoring. Seems to be a very well-rounded player.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

NHL Fanatik*

I know people will still play hypothetical and think we pick top 3 but I think many will be upset when we dont even place bottom 5. Unless we luck into the lottery, Schneider and the young D will keep us away from that.

So for those seeking our savior in this coming draft - I think you will be disappointed.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I know people will still play hypothetical and think we pick top 3 but I think many will be upset when we dont even place bottom 5. Unless we luck into the lottery, Schneider and the young D will keep us away from that.

So for those seeking our savior in this coming draft - I think you will be disappointed.

I agree, but there look to be some high-potential forwards which we really need as well.

NHL Fanatik*

I agree, but there look to be some high-potential forwards which we really need as well.

Oh I know we could use a high end pick badly, just dont see it happening. Maybe we luck out like with the Larsson pick again

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I don't think we'll be getting a savior, but I expect the Devils to pick 5-7 and add a key forward.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I forget which podcast I was listening to, but the guest noted that Tkachuk was getting pushed around a bit so far in the OHL preseason. That was something I noticed when I watched the US U18 squad last year: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=90119471&postcount=16

Matt had good speed/hands and wasn't afraid of the dirty spots. He also had some Clarkson-itis early in the game and seemingly was falling down a lot.

Also, the new NBA style lottery format goes into effect next season. So it will be possible to not be a bottom feeder and still end up with a top 3 pick.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I think our 3rd went to PIT but we have Florida's.

Florida's pick went to Anaheim for Palmieri I believe. Our own 3rd went to Pitt for Hynes, which they then traded to Toronto for Kessel, among other things.

I believe we were getting our own pick back from Toronto for Lou.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Also important to note that Tkachuk will most likely be playing on a line with Mitch Marner (since it looks like the Leafs want to develop him as a center) and could also play with Max Jones (2016 eligible) on the same line, so Marner will most likely inflate his numbers.

Tkachuk - Marner - Jones

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I forget which podcast I was listening to, but the guest noted that Tkachuk was getting pushed around a bit so far in the OHL preseason. That was something I noticed when I watched the US U18 squad last year: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=90119471&postcount=16

Also, the new NBA style lottery format goes into effect next season. So it will be possible to not be a bottom feeder and still end up with a top 3 pick.

He probably needs to bulk up a bit. He's 190 now, I could see him get to 205 or so.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is Nolan Patrick not being talked about as a top pick? He had a fantastic season for a 15-16 year old.

Misses the cutoff by four days unfortunately. Always fun to think of how things might have turned out differently had certain guys been born a week earlier.

Patrik Stefan - one day too young for the 1998 Draft - Maybe the Sedins don't both end up in Vancouver at the 1999 Draft.

Alex Ovechkin - two days too young for 2003 - Ovechkin ends up in Florida instead of Washington.

John Tavares - five days too young for 2008 - Does he bump Stamkos for #1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad