GDT: 2016 NHL Draft Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Let's be serious here

I would have taken the 1st overall pick, you would have taken the 1st overall pick, we all would have taken the first overall pick here.

But is it really something of a matter to say you ''earned'' it? It's a lot easier to compete for the lottery than compete for the cup in this league.:help:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
lol I pretty much turned it off/stopped paying attention after the results...oy vey. I don't know whether he brought the tanking culture there or it engulfed him upon arrival but either way it's embarassing to say that. About as bad as the Sabres GM admitting he was dreaming about McDavid last year.

The now former Arizona GM also publicly said something along the lines of ''My thoughts were that if we're gonna be bad, we may as well be really bad'' about last year too.

While Arizona fans aren't happy with his termination and that likely had nothing to do with it at all, I don't feel bad for him in the slightest after ready that.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I'll be happy with Keller/Jost, but my god, what an embarrassment. Tanking gets rewarded...

They had a better chance of getting 4th than 1st and when it came to the last ball they had a small chance.

I don't get why you guys are so obsessed with how other teams try to get better and even if the Devils become a good team in the future it wouldn't be done without high picks--Larsson was a 4th overall, Schneider required a 9th overall pick to get him here, Zacha is a 6th overall. And another thing Toronto made the playoffs more recently than the Devils so if they're embarrassing then aren't the Devils too?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

They had a better chance of getting 4th than 1st and when it came to the last ball they had a small chance.

I don't get why you guys are so obsessed with how other teams try to get better and even if the Devils become a good team in the future it wouldn't be done without high picks--Larsson was a 4th overall, Schneider required a 9th overall pick to get him here, Zacha is a 6th overall. And another thing Toronto made the playoffs more recently than the Devils so if they're embarrassing then aren't the Devils too?

What has Toronto accomplished in the last half a century that the Devils have not? One FLUKE playoff berth in a lockout shortened season means ****-all to me.

How about the 7 straight years they miss the playoffs before that, when we made them all but one year? We still have more playoffs berths than that ****stain of a franchise since 2004. When playing the ''Well we suck too'' card, that's probably one of the last franchises you should be defending to slap us back into place.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Yeah and look who's the GM of that team. The guy who built those good Devils teams thinks they have a good plan. I don't view the Devils as an embarrassment nor do I view the Leafs as an embarrassment for what they are and what they are doing because of failings by their past GMs. It's just that you can't have it one way and look the other way for the Devils.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To me Lou's just there as a guy that'll make the trades and be a consigliere to Shanny and his cronies.

I have nothing against trading guys for future assets...I do think it goes into snarmy territory when you send down kids like Nylander because he's jeopardizing their top lotto position after the team starts playing better with them in the lineup.

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
Obviously wish we had gotten a top 3 pick to land Matthews, Laine, or Puljujarvi, but there's still talent to be had at 11. If we get either Keller or Jost, I'll be thrilled.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
after they brought him up they didn't send him down until their season ended.

My mistake, I saw one of their own fans say that on the mainboard. Might have been a few of their other kids that got sent down.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah and look who's the GM of that team. The guy who built those good Devils teams thinks they have a good plan. I don't view the Devils as an embarrassment nor do I view the Leafs as an embarrassment for what they are and what they are doing because of failings by their past GMs. It's just that you can't have it one way and look the other way for the Devils.

Not to bring up the past, but I'm almost certain you were one of the people that wanted Lou gone before he left.

But now that he's the GM of another team, he's good to you again? Not saying just because a GM has reached his expiration date with one team that it makes him bad but....

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
nah i wanted lou gone i'm just wondering how people can bring up past devils teams and then criticize the Leafs for what they're doing now with Lou there. What he and Shanny's crew is doing with the Leafs now is what he should have done here and if he did that I wouldn't have want him gone. Granted the owners themselves might have wanted a different guy as GM if there was a long term approach going on.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To me Lou's just there as a guy that'll make the trades and be a consigliere to Shanny and his cronies.

I don't think Lou is really the GM there, other than in name only.

It's obvious he has more say there than he would have had staying here, or else he probably wouldn't have left in the first place. Or at least I'd have to assume.

If Lou was still the Devils GM, you can bet that he would have been the one in attendance on our behalf tonight. I think Shanahan is really running things there.

Obviously they have adopted Lou policies, like facial hair, no media on team planes. The things that Toronto has done this year hockey wise though, seem to go against a lot of the things Lou practiced for so long. I'm talking rebuilding in particular.

I'm pretty confident that Lou is pretty much the Lieutenant there. Not the General.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
nah i wanted lou gone i'm just wondering how people can bring up past devils teams and then criticize the Leafs for what they're doing now with Lou there. What he's doing with the Leafs now is what he should have done here and if he did that I wouldn't have want him gone.

Then why do you believe he suddenly changed his ideals to do that there? Do you honestly believe it was a wake up call and something went off in his head?

I really don't think Lou is nearly the top dog there.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lou never even came close to tanking here, even in his early days. That's another reason I don't believe this was nearly all him. He was doing everything humanly possible to compete when there was really no reason to try to keep a comatose patient alive the last couple years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lou never even came close to tanking here, even in his early days. That's another reason I don't believe this was nearly all him. He was doing everything humanly possible to compete when there was really no reason to try to keep a comatose patient alive the last couple years.
Exactly

That's why I think he's a GM in name only. He obviously has some decisions and say. If he didn't, I'd have to think he would still be here in a ''Celebratory'' or ''Ceromonial'' role. Whatever the word was.

Unless ownership pissed him off, like a few people have said with the way they cleaned house and people supposedly showing up and finding out they were out of a job.

The current Leafs blueprint just goes against everything Lou. People change and adjust, but color me skeptical that a well into his 70's Lou would change this drastically in a matter of months.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Then why do you believe he suddenly changed his ideals to do that there? Do you honestly believe it was a wake up call and something went off in his head?

I really don't think Lou is nearly the top dog there.
Well gm's learn from their mistakes and I don't know what he was thinking only he himself knows that but here he was trying to push a dead team to the playoffs. Maybe he got orders from above to try to win or if he wanted a long-term plan then Harris would look elsewhere for someone to carry out a long-term approach. Maybe if he writes a autobiography we'll all find out what transpired.

Even if he isn't top dog there he still signed on to that plan.

Lou traded a proven defenseman in 1989 for a chance at Eric Lindros two years later. And when he came in he had the 2nd overall pick which was Shanahan so one of the high picks was already there. And it's different time periods so it's hard to compare.
http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...r-with-scott-niedermayer-pick-in-1991-1.94035

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Leafs are very well run, they are smart for tanking. That is how you accumulate high end talent. What is the benefit of finishing 14th rather than a much lower spot? I would take the high pick all day.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well gm's learn from their mistakes and I don't know what he was thinking only he himself knows that but here he was trying to push a dead team to the playoffs. Maybe he got orders from above to try to win or if he wanted a long-term plan then Harris would look elsewhere for someone to carry out a long-term approach. Maybe if he writes a autobiography we'll all find out what transpired.

Even if he isn't top dog there he still signed on to that plan.

Lou traded a proven defenseman in 1989 for a chance at Eric Lindros two years later. And when he came in he had the 2nd overall pick which was Shanahan so one of the high picks was already there. And it's different time periods so it's hard to compare.
http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...r-with-scott-niedermayer-pick-in-1991-1.94035

He also traded an expendable defenseman, as the piece says they had Driver and Fetisov coming in and didn't need Kurvers anymore. If you want to call trading an expendable piece for a first round pick two years later tanking, whatever - the Devils themselves still made the playoffs every year other than like '88 so it's not like they were losing to win. They just adroitly took advantage of another team's naivete and someone else's losing ultimately benefitted us.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I'm not talking about tanking itself but the importance of collecting high picks in whatever way, it's knowing the value of high picks and how they can drastically change the franchise's outlook. I'm not saying it's the only way to build a team but when you're going to miss the playoffs either way you can't blame GM's for thinking a higher pick is a better alternative.

Last edited:

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I don't think Lou is really the GM there, other than in name only.

It's obvious he has more say there than he would have had staying here, or else he probably wouldn't have left in the first place. Or at least I'd have to assume.

If Lou was still the Devils GM, you can bet that he would have been the one in attendance on our behalf tonight. I think Shanahan is really running things there.

Obviously they have adopted Lou policies, like facial hair, no media on team planes. The things that Toronto has done this year hockey wise though, seem to go against a lot of the things Lou practiced for so long. I'm talking rebuilding in particular.

I'm pretty confident that Lou is pretty much the Lieutenant there. Not the General.

Agreed. Lou is a puppet there. If he called the shots why was Shanny there? This is not Lou's team and he does not call the shots. He's there to advise Shanny, which is fine, but he's not the GM.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Circumstances in New Jersey were a helluva lot different than in Toronto...

In 2010 this was still a relatively dominate team. The first chink in the armour showed in 2011, 2012 we were in the finals...

So under Lou in New Jersey you can really only possibly criticize how he handled 2013, 2014 and 2015...and even you want to ignore the giant pig in the room of losing Parise, the Kovalchuk debacle and the financial issues that led to most it, teams don't go from the Finals to all out rebuild in a year...and suppose a complete rebuild was his full intention here, how the hell do you get rid of 100 million dollar 75 year deal hitting its most expensive years?

Lou is not a puppet in Toronto he is there to show them how to manage an organization properly and impart the philosophy he instilled here for nearly 30 years to a Leaf organization that has had no direction.

Every past player to a man talks about how well run NJ was under Lou and Shanny is one of them. The guy was/is a management master. From Providence to NJ to Yankee/Net he was the best there is at administration. That's why he's in Toronto.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Agreed. Lou is a puppet there. If he called the shots why was Shanny there? This is not Lou's team and he does not call the shots. He's there to advise Shanny, which is fine, but he's not the GM.

I'm not seeing any sort of logic here.

You dont need to be named GM to be a technical / occasional advisor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad