Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 41s42 seconds ago
TOR gets Kerby Rychel from CBJ for Scott Harrington and a conditional pick

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
gross. why wouldnt they want wotherspoon for him. same player but way better.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Steal for the Leafs. Absolute shame the Flames couldn't get something done here. Wotherspoon plus a second or Hickey straight might have been enough.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I could totally see Todd Button getting a job offer as an AGM with another organization. These last few years, he's done an awesome job.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I could totally see Todd Button getting a job offer as an AGM with another organization. These last few years, he's done an awesome job.

I dont know...lots of hype but the only real NHLers in the last few years are Monahan, Bennett and Gaudreau.

And I could have picked Monahan and Bennett myself without scouting.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The 2010 & 2011 drafts were pretty amazing - not a lot of picks but nearly every one of them has gone on to play an NHL game.

1 - Baertschi
2 - Granlund
2 - Wotherspoon
4 - Gaudreau
6 - Brossoit

3 - Reinhart
3 - Leach (only one to not play any NHL games)
4 - Ramage
4 - Arnold
5 - Ferland
7 - Holland

Yes not a lot of games for some of those guys, but I think it's still a reasonable measure of success.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
2010 was a total failure except for Ferland who is nothing but a bottom line player at this point.

2011- I consider Baetschi a major failure as a Flames.

Granlund and Wotherspoon are nothing special. It's wouldnt be a surprise if both are going to hit the waiver wire soon

And he hit a home run with Gaudreau. That's his best pick along with Brodie in about 20 yrs of service?

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
2010 was a total failure except for Ferland who is nothing but a bottom line player at this point.

2011- I consider Baetschi a major failure as a Flames.

Granlund and Wotherspoon are nothing special. It's wouldnt be a surprise if both are going to hit the waiver wire soon

And he hit a home run with Gaudreau. That's his best pick along with Brodie in about 20 yrs of service?

Statistically speaking, the fact that we got a 4th liner despite our earliest pick being in the third rounder, and most of those guys at least were fringe NHL'ers is actually way ahead of the curve.

I think Button's drafting is a bit overrated, but it's still been better in recent years than the decade preceding it by a wide margin.

Remember when Dustin Boyd was our crown jewel of our prospect pool?

L13

Oct 1, 2015
The fact Bärtschi is becoming an NHL regular with a different team has nothing to do with whether he was a good pick.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Statistically speaking, the fact that we got a 4th liner despite our earliest pick being in the third rounder, and most of those guys at least were fringe NHL'ers is actually way ahead of the curve.

I think Button's drafting is a bit overrated, but it's still been better in recent years than the decade preceding it by a wide margin.

Just about sums up how I feel. Just because we didn't get any super stars besides Gaudreau and Brodie the recent drafts can't be look poorly upon. If you get 2 NHL players a draft as far as I'm concerned you're doing alright.

You have your whole core in place and 4/5 of them are homegrown. We have also drafted pieces to fill out our roster decently too. Wotherspoon, Ferland, Ortio, Bouma, plenty of quality depth NHL players have come from Button, and our prospect pool is as deep as ever.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
our prospect pool is as deep as ever.

I feel like our prospect pool is super deep now as well.

Some amazing D prospects: Andersson and Kylington, as well as Kulak, Hickey, Culkin, and now Fox

Tons of Goalie prospects: Gillies, Parsons, MacDonald, Schneider

Wings are looking good now with the additions of Tkachuk and Tuulola to go along with Mangiapane, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Klimchuk, etc

I think at Center is where we WERE weakest (not a big concern obviously with youngins Monahan and Bennett on the squad) with Jankowski being the only notable prospect but now we have Phillips, Dube, Lindstrom, and Mattson to bolster the group.

Lovin our prospects:yo:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Yes, that is my point. He is average at best. I am going to wait and see with the latest crop. Not too long ago people were wetting their pants with Baetschi, Granlund, Wotherspoon, Poirrer and Klimchuk...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The fact Bärtschi is becoming an NHL regular with a different team has nothing to do with whether he was a good pick.

From where he was pick, there is nothing to crow about being a "NHL regular"

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames did an excellent restock this weekend. You have to imagine we likely got 1-3 NHL'ers after the first round, and that's exciting.

There aren't many prospects that jump off the page outside of Tkachuk, but I think the Flames are starting to move into the Detroit realm of drafting, and that's a major positive. Instead of meat and potatoes in the middle to late rounds, Flames were picking these boom type prospects, and that's just the way to go. I can see most of these CHL kids spending another year in junior, maybe two, then transitioning to the AHL. I see these European guys spending at least 3-4 seasons in Europe, then moving to the AHL. It's just the right way to develop your program. Season the hell out of kids that aren't ready.

I'm interested to see if Tkachuk makes it out of camp. I imagine he's going to be working on his foot speed all summer, and come into camp raring to go. He's definitely a solution for one of top 6 wing holes right now; but it'd also be nice to send him to the OHL to dummy a league on his own next year.

L13

Oct 1, 2015

That I can agree with. Although late first-rounders are not guaranteed to become NHLers, I don't think getting one there is a significant feat.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Pretty big fan of this draft looking back on it in detail.

Tkachuk - certainly fills a need up front in terms of what he an bring. Some minor deficiencies in his game, but everything that can't be taught/improved he has.

Parsons - Wasn't a fan of picking a goalie this high, but if we were going to pick one this is who I wanted. I really like his competitiveness.

Dube - I think he is a pretty safe bet to play in the NHL. He's got good skating ability, compete, work ethic and skills. Not sure if he has high end offensive upside at the next level but I think he will play.

Fox - With his smarts and skills his ceiling is sky high. Whether or not he reaches that remains to be seen, but we now have some high end skill on the back end in our prospect pool with Andersson, Kylington and Fox.

Lindstrom - Love everything that has been said about him, admittedly haven't seen him play much at all though.

Mattson - He's a project for sure, but has good size. Haven't seen him play at all, but another high school player is about to pay off for us. North Dakota is a hell of a program so it will be nice to see how his development goes.

Tuulola - Liked him at the U-18's. Good mix of size and skill. I'm a big fan of this pick.

Phillips - Another pick I really like. He's got huge upside and oozes skill. Size is obviously the big question mark but as a 6th it is well worth it. Some small skilled players have strayed to show that there is a place for them, hopefully he can be another.

Falkovsky - Has an intriguing skill set for a big man. Has holes in his game but overall is still a decent prospect.

Will be interesting to see how the votes go for our new prospect rankings.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

The only three guys taken after him in the first round who I'd say are clearly better are Miller, Namestnikov, and Klefbom. That's three out of 17 picks. Everyone else is either a marginal NHLer or straight up bustville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad