GDT: 2016 NHL Draft Day Thread

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I'm giddy we got Tkachuk
Parsons....would've preferred Fitzgerald/Gustavsson
Dube....would've preferred Grunstrum, Raddysh, Abramov
Fox....sucks Niemelainen went a few picks before, but I wanted Allard there

Liked the last few picks, except maybe Matsson
Very surprised Sokolov & Somppi fell right to the end.

Overall, as long as Tkachuk plays in the top 6, and 1 other player pans out. I don't have too much hope for the rest.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I'm giddy we got Tkachuk
Parsons....would've preferred Fitzgerald/Gustavsson
Dube....would've preferred Grunstrum, Raddysh, Abramov
Fox....sucks Niemelainen went a few picks before, but I wanted Allard there

Liked the last few picks, except maybe Matsson
Very surprised Sokolov & Somppi fell right to the end.

Overall, as long as Tkachuk plays in the top 6, and 1 other player pans out. I don't have too much hope for the rest.

I trust Button and his scouts. I'm happy with the picks.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I like that most of the prospects we drafted have high potential. I'd rather have a bunch of boom-bust prospects that could be top 6 forward or top 4 dman, or bust, rather than prospects who top out as 3rd liners or depth d-man.

Some may not agree as they'd rather have NHL's even if they are 4th liners.

When you have 9 picks I think taking a bunch of chances at higher potential but riskier picks is a better approach.

Really really happy with this draft.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah, I've been saying that every year since they drafted Hall.

I was off their hype for a year or two. Then I was back on when they got McDavid. Then I saw how they played in the final 65 games last year. And I'm back off. Garbage organization.

They should trade Hall, Nuge and Eberle to the highest bidder. If they were smart, they would rebuild their rebuild around McDavid, Klefbom, Nurse, Draisatl, and Pulju. But they aren't. And they'll keep trying Eberle/Nuge + second for [insert star defenseman]. They need a culture change.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'm not gonna make any predictions about Oilers next season before July 1st. They need a top D, but taking Pulju was the right thing as he was BPA and defensemen take longer to develop.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I was off their hype for a year or two. Then I was back on when they got McDavid. Then I saw how they played in the final 65 games last year. And I'm back off. Garbage organization.

They should trade Hall, Nuge and Eberle to the highest bidder. If they were smart, they would rebuild their rebuild around McDavid, Klefbom, Nurse, Draisatl, and Pulju. But they aren't. And they'll keep trying Eberle/Nuge + second for [insert star defenseman]. They need a culture change.

You mean Nuge + 2nd isn't going to get them Subban ++ or Shattenkirk + 1st + Lehtera?

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yeah Edmonton REALLY does need to rebuild their rebuild....
Nuge I would keep for 1 more season as he's still their only other NHL caliber center besides McDavid.
Eberle...jettisoned.
Yak trade him while you can.
Hall trade him.

start this thing over again and get it RIGHT. having all these flashy forwards but no defense really shines through. Talbot can easily be their starter, hes a keeper.
but I agree with Snipetype. rebuild the core around McD, Pulju, Drai, Klef, and Nurse and Talbot. Cleanse the organization the losing stink that's been there for years.
If you don't play your ***** off, traded.I want the BoA to mean something again, with us both fighting for playoff contention.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
14. There were several huddles between Columbus’s Jarmo Kekalainen, Edmonton’s Peter Chiarelli and Calgary’s Brad Treliving prior to the draft’s first round. None of them would comment on what they were trying to do, but I think I’ve got some idea.

According to several sources, it was a deal that would have given Calgary the third pick, Columbus the fourth pick and Edmonton the sixth pick. Not sure of all the various parts that would be included to make it happen, though.

In that case, I’d guess the draft would have gone: Auston Matthews (TOR), Patrik Laine (WPG), Jesse Puljujarvi (CGY), Pierre-Luc Dubois (CBJ), Olli Juolevi (VAN) and either Mikhail Sergachev or Matthew Tkachuk (EDM). It didn’t occur, but everyone still got someone they wanted. Vancouver knew Thursday night there was no chance Columbus would let Dubois fall to them. They concentrated on Juolevi, and to me, there’s nothing wrong with that choice.

Friedman's 30 thoughts

Edit:
33. Buffalo GM Tim Murray has it down to four words: “Buffalo selects Alex Nylander.”

Don’t know if he can get that any lower, but he told Jeff Marek during the week that one day he wants to go to the podium and simply point at whoever he’s taking. THAT I want to see.
:laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad