2016 NBA Finals - Golden State vs Cleveland: Game 7

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Do shoes really make people that much bigger though? Most of the best defenders are 6-7 6-8

When I watch curry he knows where it's going. But he doesn't have the height to knock it down

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Stephen-Curry-1170/

Curry is 6'2 without shoes. Most players are about an inch higher when in shoes (their official listed height) vs. their actual height. There are some special cases like Kevin Love, who is only half an inch taller than Lebron, yet is listed at 6'10, so maybe he was measured in heels.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
How are NHL players' heights measured? With skates on?

Nhl players don't have as much motivation to lie about their heights

NBA players basically their entire life until the combine exaggerate their height, depending on the position adding (Draymond green) or subtracting (Kevin durant)

Do shoes really make people that much bigger though? Most of the best defenders are 6-7 6-8

When I watch curry he knows where it's going. But he doesn't have the height to knock it down
Probably most of the most valuable defenders (actually they're usually centers) but you wouldn't put Draymond Green on Kyrie Irving, I mean Avery Bradley is a hell of a defender and he's not much more than 6'2, Tony Allen is around that too.

Last edited:

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
There are some special cases like Kevin Love, who is only half an inch taller than Lebron, yet is listed at 6'10, so maybe he was measured in heels.
Yeah I ran into him at a bar in Scottsdale when they were in town playing the Suns. He's obviously a tall dude, but he's definitely not 6'10".

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Wilt and Shaq were better than Kareem.

Wilt yes.

Shaq? Better rebounder than Kareem. Not as good a defender after his early years when he got fat and lost all his lateral quickness; his teams stunk against the pick and roll, mostly because of him. And as a rim protector he was generally more interested in highlight blocks into the stands, whereas Kareem would try to block and control ... not as flashy, but far more valuable.

I'd even give the edge on passing to Kareem. And while you couldn't necessarily stop Shaq from getting a bunch of dunks a game, he did get taken out of games against certain teams with talented bigs at times (or at the end of games due to his FT%). Whereas the skyhook was frankly the most unstoppable halfcourt weapon of all time, and you couldn't hack-a-Kareem at the end of a game. Just check out some of Kareem's FG% numbers ... he was a more efficient scorer than Shaq despite all those dunks.

I wouldn't even put Shaq ahead of Hakeem, and I put Hakeem slightly behind Kareem.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
"When I decided to leave Miami — I'm not going to name any names, I can't do that — but there were some people that I trusted and built relationships with in those four years (who) told me I was making the biggest mistake of my career," James told ESPN.com.

"And that s— hurt me. And I know it was an emotional time that they told me that because I was leaving. They just told me it was the biggest mistake I was making in my career. And that right there was my motivation."

While James refused to give names, come on. How could one of them not be Pat Riley?

Part of the reason why I was happy to see him win. Big F-U to Miami & Riley.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Miami got four years of his prime and two championships. I think they'll be okay.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Riley is a GM, it would've been stupid to not try everything to keep a player like Lebron around.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
does lebron get his jersey retired in miami?

I dont think he does. I definitely wouldn't be surprised though.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto

He won two Finals MVPs there...

There's only 6 other teams that even have a player that matches that accolade...

Jersey is absolutely getting retired in Miami, he's a unique player with a unique career.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

They retired MJ's even tho he never played a second for them.

But they have retired Mourning's jersey and now will retire Shaqs this coming season. He did more in 4 seasons than either of them did so I can see a future GM doing it but not Riley.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
The real question is....is the #23 going to be universally retired after his career?

It didn't happen for MJ, so it won't happen when LeBron finishes.

#23 will always be MJ first and foremost. If they did it after LeBron retires, then it would be some weird MJ/LeBron thing and people would not like it.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It didn't happen for MJ, so it won't happen when LeBron finishes.

#23 will always be MJ first and foremost. If they did it after LeBron retires, then it would be some weird MJ/LeBron thing and people would not like it.

Well it both were really good. Off the charts that nobody else should be wearing it unless they are also really good.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Well it both were really good. Off the charts that nobody else should be wearing it unless they are also really good.

MJ was already that good and they didn't do it. Why do it now when someone not as good as him comes along wearing the same number in tribute to him?

Now if you did it then it would be some combined homage to them both, which as I said previoulsy people will not like that. One of the reasons being that mentioned above.

Of course LeBron already had his stage where he wanted the league to retire 23, but it didn't happen, and then he went back to 23 later on anyway.

Besides, while I'm not necessarily against the retiring of jerseys, I like that people have the option of wearing 23 to be "like Mike". It's just a compliment and testament to him when you see guys wearing 23 for that reason. So he's still being respected either way.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
MJ was already that good and they didn't do it. Why do it now when someone not as good as him comes along wearing the same number in tribute to him?

Now if you did it then it would be some combined homage to them both, which as I said previoulsy people will not like that. One of the reasons being that mentioned above.

Of course LeBron already had his stage where he wanted the league to retire 23, but it didn't happen, and then he went back to 23 later on anyway.

Besides, while I'm not necessarily against the retiring of jerseys, I like that people have the option of wearing 23 to be "like Mike". It's just a compliment and testament to him when you see guys wearing 23 for that reason. So he's still being respected either way.

I don't know, I know at lower levels you sometimes on teams have a certain jersey you have to earn versus having an ego to think you're gunna be really good. I guess its just a personal preference. Can LBJ get to 6? He is halfway there.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I don't know, I know at lower levels you sometimes on teams have a certain jersey you have to earn versus having an ego to think you're gunna be really good. I guess its just a personal preference. Can LBJ get to 6? He is halfway there.

I see retiring jerseys on a team level as a bit different. There's a big difference between wearing 23 on a different team because you loved MJ and wearing 23 on Chicago. 23 is MJ's number, but 23 on Chicago is his jersey.

That may sound like a bit of nonsense but it makes sense in my head :laugh:

Even if LeBron does make it to six, he's still not MJ. MJ stature goes far beyond just the six rings. LeBron will never reach the iconic status or have the aura attached to his name that MJ has I don't believe. Jordan is a culutral phenomenon and still is to this day.

I just think that if you weren't going to retire 23 league wide once MJ was done then you can't do it now because another amazing guy came along and used the same number and I think a lot of people would feel agrieved about it for a number of reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad