GDT: 2016 Gold Medal Game • Russia vs. Finland pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemurFromTheId

Feb 21, 2014
Agreed. JJ has a golden touch. NHL teams should be following him closely.

I'm not sure sure about that... I consider him the best coach in Finland, but I don't think NA players are ready for his style of hockey. (And I don't mean that as a slight on NA players, it's just that the culture is quite different.)

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
That win is probably a great boost for the future of Finnish hockey.

This win gives a great boost for young players in the Finnish League- both for themselves as well as for the audience.

I hope that Finnish team learn that it is for their best in the long term to develop young players rather than recruit veterans without any motivation from elsewhere.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Yesss what a game that was. Man these WJC games are entertaining. SUOMI VOITTOOOOOOOON! I love the mental strength this younger generation seems to have. I hope that will bring about a crucial change to the national team so that we still have our eyes on the prize even if we are down in this big games and that we can prevail in the finals (talking about our lousy record in finals, too many silver medals over the years).

Yeah, you said it, how many times did we pull of comeback wins in this tournament?

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Why did russia change goalies for this game?

Georgiev has started most of their games. Maybe Samsonov has an injury, or has been sick, etc. Could also be that he was selected because he plays in the Finnish league against most of our players.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He say this is hockey at best its only that we getting the next goal, we have alot more stamina then our opponent,

Then the journalist asking him if he says "is its Finland turn this year?" "yeah i probably saying that"

Haha gotta love that kid! i wish him a good future!

Thx!

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
I'm not sure sure about that... I consider him the best coach in Finland, but I don't think NA players are ready for his style of hockey. (And I don't mean that as a slight on NA players, it's just that the culture is quite different.)

I bet that Jukka Jalonen will be coaching an NHL team one day. He is one of the coaches that is able to outplay the opponents in the tactical level.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Georgiev has started most of their games. Maybe Samsonov has an injury, or has been sick, etc. Could also be that he was selected because he plays in the Finnish league against most of our players.

After all I don't think it matters. Georgijev played a terriffic game, and it was not his fault Russians lost.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Yesss what a game that was. Man these WJC games are entertaining. SUOMI VOITTOOOOOOOON! I love the mental strength this younger generation seems to have. I hope that will bring about a crucial change to the national team so that we still have our eyes on the prize even if we are down in this big games and that we can prevail in the finals (talking about our lousy record in finals, too many silver medals over the years).
Of course this is going show eventually at the men's level when these and even younger players make the core of the men's team. But still, often the problem at men's level has been the lack of gamewinning goalscorers. On the other hand one could speculate if something had not changed in this area in the junior coaching then Puljujärvi and Laine probably wouldn't be the prospects they are now.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, well, how should I put this, rather, hmm, nice... Russia was really absolutely impressive: worked hard, had skillfull and quick players and were superorganized defensively, more like a traditional Finnish team in that sense. And Finland was erratic in defence but brilliant in attack, rather like a traditional Russian team, weird. A great match and so even, could have gone either way.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
1998 Hagman (OT):

2014 Ristolainen (OT):

2016 Kapanen (OT):

LeftBackLegend

Oct 15, 2011
This is how you take a tough loss on the chin. Great sportsmanship from Russian fans, and a great team they had to cheer on as well. This was a final for the ages. :handclap:

Last edited by a moderator:

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Didn't get to see anything past the 2nd period. Sounds like quite the finish!

Anyone have videos of the tying goal and the winning goal? (In English)

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
So I just went to the Yle main site and sure enough, there was a headline about the biggest monkey in world history. Due to these hours of psychological conditioning, I immediately thought that the article was about the monkey Kapanen had on his back :laugh:

Kasperi: I'm sorry I doubted you. The younger super kids outshined you as expected, but you came through when necessary. Thank you, Kasperi Kapanen. Best regards, someone who didn't initially want you in the team and was very vocal about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad