Prospect Info: 2016 Draft | Trading Down From #4 Less Likely Now According to Stauffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Glad your not gm

if Sergachev is your guy, and you trade back because you assume he'll still be there, then you can only do that if you're okay with Vancouver and Calgary having Sergachev instead of Edmonton.

Now, personally I don't get all the Sergachev love. I'm not an expert on it though. If he truly is a guy we'd look to build around above the others, then we should take him #4. Places like ISS, MacKenzie, and other draft lists aren't the be all-end all. Just because they say Sergachev isn't #4 doesn't mean he isn't.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
if Sergachev is your guy, and you trade back because you assume he'll still be there, then you can only do that if you're okay with Vancouver and Calgary having Sergachev instead of Edmonton.

Now, personally I don't get all the Sergachev love. I'm not an expert on it though. If he truly is a guy we'd look to build around above the others, then we should take him #4. Places like ISS, MacKenzie, and other draft lists aren't the be all-end all. Just because they say Sergachev isn't #4 doesn't mean he isn't.

Well Calgary will probably trade up to #3 (to piss us off) so we don't have to worry about them drafting Sergachev

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
And they'll probably only have to dangle a 2nd and some falling star prospect like Poirier to do it, if the last couple years are any indication.

Pretty much.
They probably have a hypnotist
That would explain things

CdnFan

Apr 9, 2016

Agreed. The only way you trade down is if you have multiple players graded out so that if your preferred player gets scooped, you still feel like you came out ahead with any of those players plus your trade down incentives.

If you HAVE to have Sergachev because you have him graded out significantly higher than the next couple of prospects, you have to take him at #4.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
If we get back to the tried and true trade NHL players for picks at this draft I'm about done with these clowns.

We need help NOW, not another 4 years from now when a guy we drafted at 25 is finally ready to play.

Hell Hall, RNH, Eberle and the boys will be 30 years old, McDavid will be off his ELC and we will still be eagerly looking at getting an extra draft pick.

This is especially true of #4. If we trade that pick for only other picks I'll blow a gasket.

same, that would be so over-the-top, insanely asinine that it just can't happen (can it?).

trade the pick for a real NHLer or just draft a kid. nothing else

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
same, that would be so over-the-top, insanely asinine that it just can't happen (can it?).

trade the pick for a real NHLer or just draft a kid. nothing else

I don't understand this reasoning. If they're just "drafting a kid" anyway, like drafts are for, why does it matter how many picks they have later on?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
So who is the likely target for the Oilers now that its looking like you guys are keeping the pick? The draft truly starts at #4 this year, so in a sense you guys are the first pick of the draft again :sarcasm:

From my perspective I see Dubois, Tkachuk, and Chychrun all as good options from my teams perspective. Who do you guys see as Chia's choice come draft day?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So who is the likely target for the Oilers now that its looking like you guys are keeping the pick? The draft truly starts at #4 this year, so in a sense you guys are the first pick of the draft again :sarcasm:

From my perspective I see Dubois, Tkachuk, and Chychrun all as good options from my teams perspective. Who do you guys see as Chia's choice come draft day?

Chia's been pumping up Tkachuk since before the playoffs he had. I would guess he's just doing that to put pressure on Arizona to deal with us and overpay, but Tkachuk does happen to be the type of player he loves.

I doubt we take defense at #4. They are all LHD for one, and most of all they just aren't top 5 prospects. I doubt we have a big favorite in this draft unless we do want Tkachuk. We will either trade down or trade the pick outright. Which one depends on the other team more than our own preference.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Chia's been pumping up Tkachuk since before the playoffs he had. I would guess he's just doing that to put pressure on Arizona to deal with us and overpay, but Tkachuk does happen to be the type of player he loves.

I doubt we take defense at #4. They are all LHD for one, and most of all they just aren't top 5 prospects. I doubt we have a big favorite in this draft unless we do want Tkachuk. We will either trade down or trade the pick outright. Which one depends on the other team more than our own preference.

Interesting. It seems everyone is pencilling in Tkachuk to the Oilers because he's a winger for McDavid, but PLD also played some of his best hockey of the season as a winger.

As for the D men... Your point about LHD makes sense considering Nurse/Klef/Reinhart. I could be mistaken but I thought Sergachev might be able to play both sides? Regardless he isn't a guy you take at 4 (IMO).

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Sergachev is a LHD but played RD pretty well all season with Logan Stanley as his LD partner. Another reason I want the kid. Played his off side and still dominated the OHL. I'm sure Chia has him high on his list despite what the pundits say.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Interesting. It seems everyone is pencilling in Tkachuk to the Oilers because he's a winger for McDavid, but PLD also played some of his best hockey of the season as a winger.

As for the D men... Your point about LHD makes sense considering Nurse/Klef/Reinhart. I could be mistaken but I thought Sergachev might be able to play both sides? Regardless he isn't a guy you take at 4 (IMO).

Dubois is too selfish and doesn't use his teammates well enough. Which is why I'm not a fan.

Tkachuk on the other hand gets the puck to the right players. Is gritty along the boards and in front of the net and in general is a pain in the ass to play against. He scores goals like you need to in today's NHL.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Do you think Tkachuk is nhl ready? He pretty much has nothing left to prove at the CHL level but then again I wouldn't want to ruin his development if we are still crap next season and he's on the team

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Do you think Tkachuk is nhl ready? He pretty much has nothing left to prove at the CHL level but then again I wouldn't want to ruin his development if we are still crap next season and he's on the team

I think he's got plenty left to prove.

He's been a third wheel(albeit an awesome one). I'd like to see him be "the guy" on the Knights for at least a season down there.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Sergachev is a LHD but played RD pretty well all season with Logan Stanley as his LD partner. Another reason I want the kid. Played his off side and still dominated the OHL. I'm sure Chia has him high on his list despite what the pundits say.
All fine and dandy he played rd all season but Oilers biggest need is a solid rh shot on the PP from the D. One of the reason the PP was so poor. I hope Bear develops fast his shot is NHL calibre for sure.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
All fine and dandy he played rd all season but Oilers biggest need is a solid rh shot on the PP from the D. One of the reason the PP was so poor. I hope Bear develops fast his shot is NHL calibre for sure.

Sergachev is one of, if not the best PPQB's in the entire OHL. I know we need a RH shot, but that doesn't mean we can't upgrade the LH defence. We had one guy with more then 12 points last year on our d. We need to change that eventually.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Sergachev is one of, if not the best PPQB's in the entire OHL. I know we need a RH shot, but that doesn't mean we can't upgrade the LH defence. We had one guy with more then 12 points last year on our d. We need to change that eventually.

I like the idea of having him waiting in the wings when we lose a player to the expansion draft. Looking at young assets with term that will be exosed LHD is an obvious choice with one of Reinhart or Davidson likely going (unless its someone better). Our center depth is set for a long time and the Pens showed us you can plug AHL players in your top 9 and win the Stanley Cup. If Sergachev is the best shot at a future stud D worst case scenario hes a huge trade chip.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
http://prospect-stats.com/DEV/CHL_Defensemen.html

0P6noM3.jpg

vWMuWZK.jpg

cqsWH85.jpg

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario

Knights season ticket holder here, and I can see him coming back to junior along with Marner (Leafs), they are only losing Dvorak from the roster and all the rest of the players are returning, they will want to defend there title and the Mem cup is only 2 hours away against there hated rivals the Windsor Spitfires. We have the depth on LW, to take it slowly with this guy, especially if they are serious about targeting Lucic.

I really don't want to see another Sam Gagner episode, the last London Knight the Oilers drafted and rushed to the NHL under previous management. :shakehead

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario

Being a Knights season ticket holder, and seeing all (3) of the available top D in this draft, I would rank them as follows. Sergachev/Chychrun/Juolevi. Love the Knights, and Love Juolevi, I just don't see him being a #2 when its all said and done, he is a second pairing guy, a SOLID second pairing guy. The other two played on a worse roster then him, and I think they have way more upside if they are used and developed properly. NONE of these guys will be a #1, it is what it is, there is no Hedman, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Jones, or Ekblad in this draft. And that's what sucks for the Oilers, cause if they were, they would be selecting them @ #4 without question.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
If I'm reading this correctly, Sergachev should be taken 3rd overall and his play/stats are comparable to Ekblad, Bouw and Pietrangelo?

Not his play, just stats/size. [edit: and its comparing specific junior seasons too, not that player overall]

And "should draft at 3" probably isn't correct, I think that's the hypothetical upper limit of the "fair pick range" which is based on comparables, not in comparison to other players in the draft.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Knights season ticket holder here, and I can see him coming back to junior along with Marner (Leafs), they are only losing Dvorak from the roster and all the rest of the players are returning, they will want to defend there title and the Mem cup is only 2 hours away against there hated rivals the Windsor Spitfires. We have the depth on LW, to take it slowly with this guy, especially if they are serious about targeting Lucic.

I really don't want to see another Sam Gagner episode, the last London Knight the Oilers drafted and rushed to the NHL under previous management. :shakehead

Gagner wasn't really rushed, he was one of the best players in the Oilers camp that year coming off a star level performance in the russia/canada series, and earned a spot. His issues stemmed from long term development stagnation on a team that suffered from severe cases of coaching carousel, lack of depth, and lack of accountability; all of which was compounded by the fundamental flaws relating to his skill set(size/strength/slow feet).

The Oilers could have sent him back to juniors, but it never would have solved the long term issues of the team's poor development model, or the limitations regarding his physical upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad