Prospect Info: 2016 Draft - 6 months later

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Hello,

So I thought we could discuss in general how our 2016 draft class is looking 6 months after the draft. Most of the guys are around half way through their seasons now, and with scouting services all putting out their 2017 midterm rankings I thought it would be interesting to see people's views on last year's crop as it stands. My personal opinions are based on games, highlights and stats. Some guys more on stats because its very difficult to find even highlights of them let alone full games. Mods obviously feel free to move this to the prospects discussion.

Jesse Puljujarvi - RW, Awesome that this guy came to us at #4. He has struggled a bit obviously at the NHL level, and doesn't have the totals of Matthews and Laine, although he seems to make decent use of the minutes that he gets. Seems like everyone would like to see him utilized better, whether its here playing with McD or Drai more consistently and on the PP, or in Bakersfield getting lots of minutes and confidence. I thought there may have been some hinting that he will go down after the holidays from Chia and TM but we will have to see. We have a good one here for sure, I could definitely see him having a Draisaitl-like campaign next season. He's just gonna need a little more time to learn the NA game and language. Overall a huge potential player/prospect.

Tyler Benson - LW, I recently wrote a little paragraph on what I think of Benson so I'm not gonna retype everything but basically I think he's a very high IQ excellent prospect, who would not have been available at #32 if he played a full season. Really see an NHL player here, and looks like he's getting his development back on track with currently 1.28ppg in the WHL and is playing really well as a driver for his team.

Markus Niemelainen - LD, Good pick at #63 when a few scouting services had him ranked in the mid-late second round. Not putting up numbers offensively this year although he looked quite good in prospect camp in the summer. From the few games and highlights I've watched he seems to be pretty decent in a shutdown role which apparently is the role that the coach put him in this season according to more adept followers of the Spirit. Another high IQ player and at 6'6" and a very good skater for that size, I have time for this player. I think ideally he ends up as a shutdown second pair kinda guy. Another player that I see an NHL future in based on his tools and IQ.

Matt Cairns - LD #84, A player who I can't comment a lot on due to basically only being able to look at stats. Had excellent production last year in the OJHL, but slowed down in the USHL this season I'm gonna assume because of higher level of competition among other factors. NCAA commit, so he is someone that we essentially have to wait on to see where he ends up. From what I know he has good size and skating. Interesting prospect and would love more info on him from someone who knows more and/or is able to see games.

Filip Berglund - RD #91, Overage pick, now playing in the SHL. I haven't been able to see any games, and he doesn't really make it into highlights. Tore up SuperElit last season and currently has 5 assists in 24 games in the SHL which honestly isn't too bad at all considering he doesn't turn 20 until May. Did not get an invite to the Sweden WJC team although he was probably one of the better u20 RHD available. From what I've seen and read, strengths seem to be size, passing, and overall puck skills, while his biggest weakness is skating. Also has decent shot as shown in scouting reports and 19 goals last year, but has yet to score at the pro level. Again, would like more info from someone who has access to games.

Dylan Wells - G #123, People say goalies are voodoo but man is it hard not to get excited about this guy right now. Went from 'meh, really inconsistent, had a bad year, could have some potential, who knows' to quite arguably the best goalie in the OHL and probably #3 in the entire CHL under Hart and Ingram although Ingram is also a year older. Consistently makes excellent saves and the stats truly are not lying with Wells right now. He is quite often the reason his team wins games. IMO this is looking like the best pick of our draft in terms of pure value, as I think he would probably go mid-late 2nd round in a redraft. Really hope he can keep up this level of play as it looks like we might have a truly legit goalie prospect on our hands here. Very excited to see him hopefully in the WJC next year and to get him into the AHL.

Graham McPhee LW #149, Not much to say here as I can only look at stats. 4 points in 20 games for Boston College as a freshman. Scouting reports say things like "hard worker, high compete level and IQ, needs to work on skill elements and skating." Another NCAA player so its a wait and see how he does. Apparently he's grown since he was drafted? If so then that's kinda nice i guess. Any kind of NHL player out of the later rounds is gravy so if he develops into a 4th line energy guy that would be great.

Aapeli Rasanen C #153, Now here is an intriguing prospect. Had an excellent u18 last year and all stats and reports say that he is having a very good season playing on the 2nd best team in the USHL along side top 2017 Finnish prospect Tolvanen. Strong 2-way game, RH centre, could use some work on skating in terms of speed. Assuming he's going to the NCAA next season? I think that is an excellent opportunity for him to develop. He is playing for Finland at the WJC so I hope to be able to watch his play there. There just might be an NHL player here, possibly a #3/4C would be awesome from the 6th round. Would like to hear more about him.

Vincent Deharnais RD #183, Really not much to say here. Overage pick, huge RHD, what looks like limited offense. Supposedly he was picked because of scouting done on Nick Ellis. Have to see where it goes, realistically if he makes it to the NHL its in a 7D/PK role.

Alright, so I'd love to hear other's thoughts and comments on this and on our 2016 draft class. Overall I'd say we made a lot of high IQ player type picks, which is good imo. Not including JP, I think Chia made 3 picks who are better than where they were selected (Benson, Wells and Rasanen) and the other 5 are just about right, with Nemo maybe going later although I really think his offense is suffering because of his team and role.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Matthew Tkachuk would have been nice.. darn them bluejackets passing up on Pulju.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
What is the opinion on Dubois then?

Dubois and Sergechev are good so is Puljujarvi but Tkachuk is who I wanted because IMO he would have been ideal for our division and for McDavid... speed, grit and hands.. there is no one on the teamwith all 3 of those.
Pulju and Dubois are drivers.. Tkachuk is an elite complimentary player.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Dubois and Sergechev are good so is Puljujarvi but Tkachuk is who I wanted because IMO he would have been ideal for our division and for McDavid... speed, grit and hands.. there is no one on the teamwith all 3 of those.
Pulju and Dubois are drivers.. Tkachuk is an elite complimentary player.

Huh? Tkachuk is a lot of things, but speedy is not one of them. He's not a bad skater, but he's definitely not a great one either.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Huh? Tkachuk is a lot of things, but speedy is not one of them. He's not a bad skater, but he's definitely not a great one either.

Faster than Lucic for sure.. best thing about him was his ability to play with skillled linemates. We would just have been a better balanced team no matter which of the 3 C he was playing on a line with... Puljujarvi is good but doesnt seem to be a pure finisher and doesnt have the grit

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Seriously, suddeninterest types all that and we derail his thread in the first response? Can we talk about our own 2016 Draft and not Matt Tkachuk?... :laugh:

Jesse Puljujarvi - He needs to be playing minutes, if it's not going to be here than he should be in the AHL. He needs seasoning IMO. Get more Finns to continue easing in the transition (in the AHL) if Jesse's comfortability is what the issue is.

Tyler Benson - Like what I see. Lets stay healthy and see where we go from there. I remember a really early scouting report from a couple seasons ago on DubFromAbove (Cody Nickolet?) described him as a Taylor Hall like driver. We need more drivers to carry the passengers around. :D

Markus Niemelainen - I liked the value of where we got him, and I thought he skated pretty well for a big defenseman. I understand his role, but 2 assists is pretty poor for a guy I thought had more jump in the offensive zone from viewing this summer. I know the Spirit had some real issues early in the season but they look to have stabilized a bit, yet are down in the standings with no real hope. I wonder if we can take advantage of his loan situation and get him in a better developmental situation.

Matt Cairns - Honestly... totally forgot about him. Nothing to contribute.

Filip Berglund - I'd like to see a bit more offense in the counting numbers for a guy we drafted as an overager, jump up in league notwithstanding, but really have no judge on his play. Will need to see if those Swedish posters have stopped by Lowetide's yet this season.

Dylan Wells - Goalies are voodoo. Lets cross our fingers the bones spell something positive for Wells.

Graham McPhee - Boston College recruits some pretty great hockey players, so that's a good sign right? Haven't seen the guy play. Still kinda hope he has some cache with George in Las Vegas.

Aapeli Rasanen - Nothing to contribute.

Vincent Deharnais - Nothing to contribute.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Pulju is going to kill it on McDavids RW in the years to come. Imagine those two at 24/25 years old? Dominant. Patience lads.

Rasanen was a great late round pick, he'll be in the WJC as well. Nice to have a right handed centre prospect in the pipeline.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Faster than Lucic for sure.. best thing about him was his ability to play with skillled linemates. We would just have been a better balanced team no matter which of the 3 C he was playing on a line with... Puljujarvi is good but doesnt seem to be a pure finisher and doesnt have the grit

Jesse isn't a pure finisher, but neither is Tkachuk. You can't judge Jesse at all with his play this season because the coach hasn't even put him in positions to succeed and keeps cutting his minutes whenever he's having a good game. He may not be gritty (although I've seen him be physical at times and is an area that could easily grow as he matures), but he's a much better skater than Tkachuk and still has a very good shot, not to mention he's a RH shot something we desperately needed in the top 6, especially one who can one-time it. He was the right choice and nothing has changed.

To get back on topic, at this point I really like the Pulju, Benson, Niemalainen, Wells, and Rasanen picks. I don't like the McPhee and Desharnais picks. I'm impartial on the Cairns and Berglund picks, but I'm certainly intrigued with their skill sets.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Seriously, suddeninterest types all that and we derail his thread in the first response? Can we talk about our own 2016 Draft and not Matt Tkachuk?... :laugh:

Jesse Puljujarvi - He needs to be playing minutes, if it's not going to be here than he should be in the AHL. He needs seasoning IMO. Get more Finns to continue easing in the transition (in the AHL) if Jesse's comfortability is what the issue is.

Tyler Benson - Like what I see. Lets stay healthy and see where we go from there. I remember a really early scouting report from a couple seasons ago on DubFromAbove (Cody Nickolet?) described him as a Taylor Hall like driver. We need more drivers to carry the passengers around. :D

Markus Niemelainen - I liked the value of where we got him, and I thought he skated pretty well for a big defenseman. I understand his role, but 2 assists is pretty poor for a guy I thought had more jump in the offensive zone from viewing this summer. I know the Spirit had some real issues early in the season but they look to have stabilized a bit, yet are down in the standings with no real hope. I wonder if we can take advantage of his loan situation and get him in a better developmental situation.

Matt Cairns - Honestly... totally forgot about him. Nothing to contribute.

Filip Berglund - I'd like to see a bit more offense in the counting numbers for a guy we drafted as an overager, jump up in league notwithstanding, but really have no judge on his play. Will need to see if those Swedish posters have stopped by Lowetide's yet this season.

Dylan Wells - Goalies are voodoo. Lets cross our fingers the bones spell something positive for Wells.

Graham McPhee - Boston College recruits some pretty great hockey players, so that's a good sign right? Haven't seen the guy play. Still kinda hope he has some cache with George in Las Vegas.

Aapeli Rasanen - Nothing to contribute.

Vincent Deharnais - Nothing to contribute.

Hahaha thank you Soli ;)

Yeah maybe the McPhee pick is a ploy by Chia... we will sign your son if you take Mark Fayne.

I really just don't know how to feel about the Niemelainen pick anymore. He did so well in camp, and I was really hoping he would have a year like Jones had last year. As you said and Zaddy said in the other thread, and you're right that regardless of role, we need to see more offense than that. He had the option before the season to go back and play in Liiga and chose not to, I dunno.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Jesse isn't a pure finisher, but neither is Tkachuk. You can't judge Jesse at all with his play this season because the coach hasn't even put him in positions to succeed and keeps cutting his minutes whenever he's having a good game. He may not be gritty (although I've seen him be physical at times and is an area that could easily grow as he matures), but he's a much better skater than Tkachuk and still has a very good shot, not to mention he's a RH shot something we desperately needed in the top 6, especially one who can one-time it. He was the right choice and nothing has changed.

To get back on topic, at this point I really like the Pulju, Benson, Niemalainen, Wells, and Rasanen picks. I don't like the McPhee and Desharnais picks. I'm impartial on the Cairns and Berglund picks, but I'm certainly intrigued with their skill sets.

Good post. I have no doubts about Pulju whatsoever, what I saw between him and McDavid already makes me smile about our future. Why were they separated again?

Niemalainen has underperformed, but I saw some serious skill out of the big man in rookie camp.

Benson has had a good year thus far on a team that is dead last in the WHL Western Conference.

Rasanen and Wells have been the most impressive for me considering their draft position. Looking like solid picks.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Good post. I have no doubts about Pulju whatsoever, what I saw between him and McDavid already makes me smile about our future. Why were they separated again?

Niemalainen has underperformed, but I saw some serious skill out of the big man in rookie camp.

Benson has had a good year thus far on a team that is dead last in the WHL Western Conference.

Rasanen and Wells have been the most impressive for me considering their draft position. Looking like solid picks.

Yeah if people are ready to write off Pulju in favour of Tkachuk this early let me remind you of a certain Bennett-Draisaitl debate not long ago, and that was a player in Draisaitl who had played 2 seasons in NA already compared to Pulju's 0. He'll adapt and if they ever put him in a full-time spot to succeed (To answer your question I have no idea why. He started I think it was the 3rd game together on the line and McLellan swapped him for Eberle after like 2 shifts in. Mind boggling.) he could start showing it as early as this year. I saw far too much skill out of this kid at the U20's the last 2 years and the U18's last year. Absolutely dominant, and was Finland's best player as a 16 year old at the U20's despite registering no points (no puck luck, hit multiple posts, led Finland in shots on goal).

I'm not putting too much into Niemalainen's numbers. I saw enough good tools out of him at the rookie tourney to still be high on him. Great skater, smart, big, and a pretty good puck mover. At 6'5-6'6 it'll take him some time to really develop and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a poor offensive year this year and then took off next season. He's a longer term project anyways.

Benson has been simply outstanding given the team he's on. Almost all of his assists are primary which really shows you who the go to guy on the team is. If he's on a contender I bet he's putting up 1.5+ppg right now (not far off after a big weekend).

I'm pumped to see Rasanen in the WJC's, and I'm excited for Wells. Everything I've seen from his indicates he has a lot of good tools, and by all accounts he's been the best OHL goalie this year on a pretty weak Peterborough team. Seems to have a really good glove hand as well from my viewings and solid athleticism.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah if people are ready to write off Pulju in favour of Tkachuk this early let me remind you of a certain Bennett-Draisaitl debate not long ago, and that was a player in Draisaitl who had played 2 seasons in NA already compared to Pulju's 0. He'll adapt and if they ever put him in a full-time spot to succeed (To answer your question I have no idea why. He started I think it was the 3rd game together on the line and McLellan swapped him for Eberle after like 2 shifts in. Mind boggling.) he could start showing it as early as this year. I saw far too much skill out of this kid at the U20's the last 2 years and the U18's last year. Absolutely dominant, and was Finland's best player as a 16 year old at the U20's despite registering no points (no puck luck, hit multiple posts, led Finland in shots on goal).

I'm not putting too much into Niemalainen's numbers. I saw enough good tools out of him at the rookie tourney to still be high on him. Great skater, smart, big, and a pretty good puck mover. At 6'5-6'6 it'll take him some time to really develop and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a poor offensive year this year and then took off next season. He's a longer term project anyways.

Benson has been simply outstanding given the team he's on. Almost all of his assists are primary which really shows you who the go to guy on the team is. If he's on a contender I bet he's putting up 1.5+ppg right now (not far off after a big weekend).

I'm pumped to see Rasanen in the WJC's, and I'm excited for Wells. Everything I've seen from his indicates he has a lot of good tools, and by all accounts he's been the best OHL goalie this year on a pretty weak Peterborough team. Seems to have a really good glove hand as well from my viewings and solid athleticism.

Agree, on all counts as usual.

If anyone is seriously thinking Tkachuk over Pulju, sorry that's dumb. I'll take the 6'4 200+ elite skating, right shot puck hound over Tkachuk. Pulju has the perfect skillset to be McDavids RWer for many, many years to come.

I remember this summer everyone taking a **** all over Nurse and I stuck up for him knowing he'll progress and get better. What happened? Nurse vastly improved, and will continue to improve working with Oates. A 25 year old Nurse will be frightening for opposing teams, just like a 24/25 year old McDavid-Pulju combination will dominate the NHL.

Yeah, I'm not panicking with Niemalainen either. We can be patient with the big fella. One thing I like, his skating is excellent for a guy 6'6+.

Benson is awesome. Future 2nd/3rd line LWer for us. He'll have a long NHL career because of his hockey IQ. It's nice that we can take it slow with him, if we need to send him back to junior next year, so be it. Let him play for Team Canada and really dominate the WHL. No rush with him, I'm not even thinking about him in our lineup for at least 2-3 years.

Rasanen is who I'm watching closely, strong two-way play and he's a right shot centre. We have no young right shot centres with his skill in our pipeline. What a surprise with Wells eh? 0.920 save % (2nd in the OHL). That's a nice surprise.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
6 months is waaaaay to early to reavaluate the picks

we can discuss the 13/14/15 drafts

So less then 40 games played for ALL players involved since they got drafted
lets discuss that thread

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1458541

or Marco Roy who we took in the second round that year

we have no legit landscape to build a profile of the guys take in the last draft

Pizza Boy 23 games
Benson 28
Markus N 25
Cairns 17 ( and he is going the uni route)
Bergland 24
Wells 27
McPhee 20
Raasinen 20(also looks to be going the uni route)
Vincent Desharnais 12 games

for me having this discussion now is silly

we can discuss the previous 3 years and how the players have gone up or down in their play

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
So we can't discuss player progress? If you get your kid's report card in grade one, do you tell the teacher you don't want to see another one until grade three?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Didn't hate the 3rd round picks but thought they could've been done better, nothing from this year so far has made me change my mind on that. Two picks I did hate though was McPhee and Desharnais. Two completely pointless picks that I doubt will ever be close to NHL duty. I was uncertain about Wells and Räsänen but both guys has showed well. Wells progress in particular has been very impressive, going from .871 save percentage to .920 is incredible. Räsänen is a long-term guy but could eventually make it as a bottom-six guy with a little bit of offense. Benson is not the guy I personally would've taken in the 2nd round but it was a fine pick and he's progressing pretty much as you'd expect from a 2nd rounder. Overall decent draft but those 3rd rounders are (mainly) what will determine if it will be a great draft, a good one or just an OK one from the Oilers perspective. Although could still look good if Pulju, Benson and one (or both) of Räsänen and Wells become regulars. You kinda expect to get at least one NHLer out of the 3rd round if you have three picks there though.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
So we can't discuss player progress? If you get your kid's report card in grade one, do you tell the teacher you don't want to see another one until grade three?

Long term posters are a bit hesitant to heap praise on recent picks after watching prospects blow up their respective leagues in their draft+1 year, only to fizzle out a year or two later and not make it to the NHL.

Off the top of my head: Bunz, Olivier Roy, Houck, Moroz, Hamilton, .... The list goes on.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Long term posters are a bit hesitant to heap praise on recent picks after watching prospects blow up their respective leagues in their draft+1 year, only to fizzle out a year or two later and not make it to the NHL.

Off the top of my head: Bunz, Olivier Roy, Houck, Moroz, Hamilton, .... The list goes on.

Yup. When I see people talk about how great Jones and Bear are as prospects I laugh. They are very average.

Actually all the Oilers prospects are. Nothing special in this pipeline.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yup. When I see people talk about how great Jones and Bear are as prospects I laugh. They are very average.

Actually all the Oilers prospects are. Nothing special in this pipeline.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but Tyler Benson is a pretty special prospect in my opinion.

He totally reminds me of Ryan O'Reilly in that he is a smart player who can play anywhere in the lineup. Kid just has to stay healthy.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
JTS I know what you're saying and I didn't mean this thread as a complete re-evaluation of every pick; just wanted to get a sense of how people feel about the picks when we know a little more about them and have had a chance to follow them a bit. I do think it's okay to evaluate a little bit at least on the CHL guys. In the 'real world' of scouting guys can move up or down quite a bit in ~25 games. Nico Hischier went from 'who is that' to top 5 on most lists, and last year Chychrun went from #2 to out of the top 10. I realize the hype gets overdone on prospects but I think most of would say we would feel differently about Benson at 32 if he had 17 points right now instead of 37.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Yeah, I get what you're saying, but Tyler Benson is a pretty special prospect in my opinion.

He totally reminds me of Ryan O'Reilly in that he is a smart player who can play anywhere in the lineup. Kid just has to stay healthy.

Interesting. I find that O'Reilly plays a heavy, strong game a la Backes, whereas Benson has a pretty slight frame.

Perhaps I'm wrong - I certainly hope that you're right. Kid is still very young.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Because TMac.

Still don't understand why they dont send him down to the AHL or even the World Juniors. It's MacT level handling of Draisaitl all over again.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Interesting. I find that O'Reilly plays a heavy, strong game a la Backes, whereas Benson has a pretty slight frame.

Perhaps I'm wrong - I certainly hope that you're right. Kid is still very young.

IIRC, Benson plays hard and hits despite not being the biggest guy, kind of like a bigger Drake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad