2016 Development Camp Review

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As a veteran journalist of these prospect camps you should know that they mean nothing towards NHL readiness.

Buchnevich is coming off of surgery in early May. I think he's stated that he's not been able to train since then, so it should be no surprise that he's rusty.

I have no clue how "the adjustment" will go to the NHL, but he's proven that he's ready for a chance to prove himself in the NHL. A 21 year old top prospect who's averaged .6+ PPG for two straight seasons in the AHL would be deemed as a player who starts the season in the NHL. Buchnevich is coming off of that in a better league than the AHL.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
As a veteran journalist of these prospect camps you should know that they mean nothing towards NHL readiness.

Buchnevich is coming off of surgery in early May. I think he's stated that he's not been able to train since then, so it should be no surprise that he's rusty.

I have no clue how "the adjustment" will go to the NHL, but he's proven that he's ready for a chance to prove himself in the NHL. A 21 year old top prospect who's averaged .6+ PPG for two straight seasons in the AHL would be deemed as a player who starts the season in the NHL. Buchnevich is coming off of that in a better league than the AHL.

It was more than being rusty. But I do understand your point of view.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
With Graves playing so well, hopefully they try harder to move a defenseman out in case he is ready for his cup of tea at the start of the season. Was pretty upset he never got a quick callup last season.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Was pretty upset he never got a quick callup last season.

Then you sorta had unrealistic expectations for 21 year old just out of junior

I love the kid, but almost every prospect is a project

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm a really big fan of Graves. I think he's going to be better than Skjei.

Graves was part of that 2013 draft class with Buchnevich, Duclair, Skapski and Tambellini.

There's a really good chance every single pick from that draft plays in the NHL, and we didn't even have a first or second round pick.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm a really big fan of Graves. I think he's going to be better than Skjei.

Graves was part of that 2013 draft class with Buchnevich, Duclair, Skapski and Tambellini.

There's a really good chance every single pick from that draft plays in the NHL, and we didn't even have a first or second round pick.

Gordie could earn an amazing reputation just from that draft.

Kovacs is another 3rd round pick. Is Gordie Clark the king of the 3rd round?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gordie could earn an amazing reputation just from that draft.

Kovacs is another 3rd round pick. Is Gordie Clark the king of the 3rd round?

His history of picks in the third round is really good. Buchnevich, Duclair, Tambellini, Saarela.

He also might be the king of 4th round picks. Graves was a 4th rounder in 2013. Shestyorkin was a 4th rounder in 2014.

Given these trends, we should probably expect at least one of Day or Reunanen to be an NHL player eventually, maybe both.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Then you sorta had unrealistic expectations for 21 year old just out of junior

I love the kid, but almost every prospect is a project

Huh? From all accounts he was playing VERY well in the AHL. How is it "unrealistic" to think he couldn't had gotten a 1 or 2 game callup when injuries occurred on the blueline?

Nobody is saying he should have made the team last year, that's not what a cup of tea is.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm happy to see that both Day and Gropp got better as the week moved along, and that Tambeliini was very good all week. I wouldn't be surprised if he made a push in camp for a spot.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'm happy to see that both Day and Gropp got better as the week moved along, and that Tambeliini was very good all week. I wouldn't be surprised if he made a push in camp for a spot.

The development camp is below ECHL level. No joke, any ECHL team sweeps our development team 4-0 in a playoff series. In addition to Rambo there are a couple players (Graves, Butcher) above the ECHL level, but most are well below. Looking good means nothing here.

I watched Rambo regularly in Hartford and I'm sorry, but he's not close to the NHL. He has an elite shot, but nothing else. Let him develop his game for a couple more years in the AHL.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Huh? From all accounts he was playing VERY well in the AHL. How is it "unrealistic" to think he couldn't had gotten a 1 or 2 game callup when injuries occurred on the blueline?

Nobody is saying he should have made the team last year, that's not what a cup of tea is.

Graves and Skjei were easily the most NHL-ready guys in Hartford last season, but Skjei made fewer mistakes. Ryan would look amazing one game, then awful the next. He's a legit first pair AHL defenseman so I'd expect him to look great against scrubs in the development camp and even in Traverse, but let's see how he performs in preseason.

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
Thanks, Leslie! Really appreciate getting to read your take since I'm not a veteran journalist of these prospect camps.

The extra scrimmage this year sounds like a great change.

Any chance for more details on how Buchnevich performed? Curious about the mistakes he was making on both sides of the puck. Thanks again, either way!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

That's simply untrue. Buch is going to need adjustment time. Period. We all know this. I trust Leslie on this because it confirms what I saw of him last year when I watched him.

The KHL is better than the AHL, but it's also a completely different type of hockey.

While Buch will likely be in the NHL, we are going to go through a major adjustment period with him.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It was more than being rusty. But I do understand your point of view.

I'm sure it was more than being rusty. The kid isn't NHL ready yet but we are likely going to insert him right away. Tarasenko, who was much more dominant in the KHL, struggled his first season and was at a .5ppg clip. It took him a bit to get going.

Buch is going to need some work. Those expecting him to come in fully NHL ready are kidding themselves.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm sure it was more than being rusty. The kid isn't NHL ready yet but we are likely going to insert him right away. Tarasenko, who was much more dominant in the KHL, struggled his first season and was at a .5ppg clip. It took him a bit to get going.

Buch is going to need some work. Those expecting him to come in fully NHL ready are kidding themselves.

Agree. I think there are quite a few posters here who write that they don't expect much from Buch this season but likely to be very disappointed when it will actually turn out this way.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Agree. I think there are quite a few posters here who write that they don't expect much from Buch this season but likely to be very disappointed when it will actually turn out this way.

Exactly. And I'm high on the kid. I love his skill set. But he's not as finished as Tarasenko or other Russians at the same age. So this thought that he's going to come in and slay just doesn't hold much water.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Exactly. And I'm high on the kid. I love his skill set. But he's not as finished as Tarasenko or other Russians at the same age. So this thought that he's going to come in and slay just doesn't hold much water.

Personally I'm not worried about Leslie's report out of prospect camp. Buch had a long season that he was finishing up with an injury. Since then he underwent a surgery and from the looks of it and front office reports he had not trained in any way.

On the other hand I really like his plan going forward and I think he will be as ready as he could be when the real training camp will begin.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's simply untrue. Buch is going to need adjustment time. Period. We all know this. I trust Leslie on this because it confirms what I saw of him last year when I watched him.

The KHL is better than the AHL, but it's also a completely different type of hockey.

While Buch will likely be in the NHL, we are going to go through a major adjustment period with him.

How does a prospect camp which usually has players ranging from impact NHL player in the future to a player who probably doesn't get past ECHL in their career prove whether a player is or isn't NHL ready? Whether or not he was the best player at this camp, his resume proves he's the best hockey player of the players who competed at the camp. A better judge of NHL readiness will be the NHL training camp where he has to battle with NHL players and fringe NHL players for a spot.

Also, I said that it couldn't be assured that he'll step in right away and be great, as history shows it usually doesn't work that way for KHL players. Regardless of whether there is an adjustment, it'd be hard to argue his resume shouldn't have him starting the season in the NHL. His resume should dictate the ability to have that adjustment in the NHL.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Also, I said that it couldn't be assured that he'll step in right away and be great, as history shows it usually doesn't work that way for KHL players. Regardless of whether there is an adjustment, it'd be hard to argue his resume shouldn't have him starting the season in the NHL. His resume should dictate the ability to have that adjustment in the NHL.

His resume gets him the interview (training camp). How he does on the interview will determine where he starts the season. This was a practice interview and reports from people that were there, his practice interview didn't go well. Now he has the summer to prepare for the real interview.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
His resume gets him the interview (training camp). How he does on the interview will determine where he starts the season. This was a practice interview and reports from people that were there, his practice interview didn't go well. Now he has the summer to prepare for the real interview.

I don't agree. Just about everyone gets invited to training camp. Buchnevich's resume should get him a spot on the team. Did Tarasenko, Kuznetsov and Panarin have to have a great training camp to earn a spot on their teams?

I'd really hope Gorton has a different attitude about this than some of you. We can't afford to lose our only impact prospect. Buchnevich has made the threat that he won't play in the AHL, and it should be honored, regardless of whether he has a good training camp and preseason.

Eventually you have to put your foot down, but it would be completely idiotic to do so in training camp or preseason and not to give Buchnevich any leash. If Gorton actually has him in a competition with players like Gerbe, Jensen, Hrivik to make the roster where whoever plays the best in preseason and training camp makes the roster, it really speaks poorly to our GM's decision making. Buchnevich is at a big disadvantage because he has to adjust to a whole different style of hockey on a different ice surface in a different part of the world with a very different culture.

If he adjusts quickly, good. If not, you give him more time. Buchnevich should get a season in the NHL uninterrupted. If AV is content icing the worst forward in the NHL for two seasons, I don't think there's a problem icing a prospect who might or might not need some time to adjust to NA.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: