Post-Game Talk: 2016 All Star Weekend/Game presented by John Scott (Ovie out, Kuzy in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
It's still a feel-good story. Root for him because he's a likable guy. Root for him because of his Player's Tribune piece. Root for him because he's having a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Root for him because he stood up to the league. Root for him because he got to the NHL the hard way. Root for him because the rest of the players are clearly rooting for him.

There's plenty of reasons to root for him. Only the most callous aren't taking any form of enjoyment out of his appearance there. He was voted there, fair and square.

The All-Star Game is a side-show circus act. It's not competitive hockey, and nobody marvels at the talent there. This isn't the Olympics or the Stanley Cup Finals. Heck, it's not even the Winter Classic. This is a marketing experience aimed largely at casual fans and children.

I clearly acknowledged that in the first two sentences. This is a complete non-factor in terms of hockey as a whole. It's no more of a "joke" than any other ASG.

The AS Weekend is a joke because of the way it has been presented. The league recognized that, hence the change in format to a 3-on-3 tournament with a money prize at the end. They are attempting to make it more competitive and less of a joke, while still promoting fun. John Scott negates what they are trying to do. Sure, he's a nice guy, and probably fun off the ice, but he's not fun to watch on the ice. I tune in to catch some of the skills these guys have, and while the skills event is a little silly, there are definitely moments that make me go "wow!". It would take me 30 minutes to hit those four little nets with a saucer pass; watching those guys do it in 30 seconds or less is pretty incredible to me.

I agree that the NHL are idiots for letting something like that be a possibility, but I'm more annoyed with the fans that voted him in.

I, personally, would like the ASG to become less of a joke, more competitive, and interesting to watch. While a lot of people would like it to be stricken from the schedule, how many actually think that is going to happen?? If it is, I doubt it will be anytime soon. Since it's probably going to be around a while, why not actually make it competitive?

I am in no way a callous person; just because I want a player that has played more than 11 games this season and wasn't just in the AHL because he can't handle the NHL anymore (or ever) doesn't make me so.

I have a hard time believing that the vast majority of hockey fans that appreciate these guys' skills wouldn't prefer seeing someone else from Arizona, like Max Domi, or someone else from the West, like Henrik Sedin (3 on 3 with is brother...come on).

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I was going to watch the first two games before I have to leave. At this rate I'll get through half of the first before I take off at 6:05.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Kuzy looks like the best player on the ice, but he's one of the few trying, so can't read too much into it.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
i think holtby wasant really trying on that jagr goal. looked like he kinda stopped and wasant gonna throw his leg far out

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
It's still a feel-good story. Root for him because he's a likable guy. Root for him because of his Player's Tribune piece. Root for him because he's having a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Root for him because he stood up to the league. Root for him because he got to the NHL the hard way. Root for him because the rest of the players are clearly rooting for him.

There's plenty of reasons to root for him. Only the most callous aren't taking any form of enjoyment out of his appearance there. He was voted there, fair and square.

The All-Star Game is a side-show circus act. It's not competitive hockey, and nobody marvels at the talent there. This isn't the Olympics or the Stanley Cup Finals. Heck, it's not even the Winter Classic. This is a marketing experience aimed largely at casual fans and children.

I clearly acknowledged that in the first two sentences. This is a complete non-factor in terms of hockey as a whole. It's no more of a "joke" than any other ASG.

This is the problem. It should be a display of the best talent. It should be a demonstration of the game. It was when I went in 88 and it was great. I guess its another sign how our society has dumbed itself down. We can't enjoy a game, we need wigs, hats, clowns, glowing pucks, guys not in the NHL who we can "feel good" about? Your right in that it is a joke. And that to me isn't a good thing.

And just so you don't think I'm negative about everything, I like the sweaters. All-Star looking without them being too crazy and over the top.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
10 minutes for Holtby
7:07 for Kuznetsov (3rd most among forwards metro/4th most among skaters metro)
6:17 for Backstrom (4th most among forwards metro/6th most among skaters metro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad