Prospect Info: 2016 6th Round - 163rd overall - Markus Nurmi (RW, TPS Jr.)

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Nurmi has had a good start to his Liiga season. Two games (14:58 & 13:34 TOI), he's been playing on the "4th line", along with a couple of hardworking, defense-first kind of guys in Pikkarainen and Virtanen.

Even though he's still a bit lanky, I like how he uses his size a lot and likes to play physical hockey. He's also good on the forecheck, where his reach comes in handy. Seems to be a pretty good skater, too. He got an assist on TPS' 3rd goal today, highlights here (1:10 onwards, no idea if this is geo-restricted to Finland only). He's #51 in black.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Nurmi has had a good start to his Liiga season. Two games (14:58 & 13:34 TOI), he's been playing on the "4th line", along with a couple of hardworking, defense-first kind of guys in Pikkarainen and Virtanen.

Even though he's still a bit lanky, I like how he uses his size a lot and likes to play physical hockey. He's also good on the forecheck, where his reach comes in handy. Seems to be a pretty good skater, too. He got an assist on TPS' 3rd goal today, highlights here (1:10 onwards, no idea if this is geo-restricted to Finland only). He's #51 in black.

Not sure if it's geo-restricted, but I seem to be getting an error trying to load it. Either way, thanks for the update, please keep them coming!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Link works for me. Thanks.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
TPS destroyed Sport 7-2 today. Nurmi had three or four great chances to score his first Liiga goal, but he ended up going pointless. He finished the game with 14:22 TOI, playing alongside the usual suspects.

And BTW, you're definitely not getting a Ruutu type player here. Even though he uses his frame well in the offensive zone, he's not really known for going for big hits and gooning it up, like Ruutu did. Instead, you're looking at a kid, who's still trying to figure his game out. IMO he's not really a "4th line" kind of player -- he's just playing there, because the coach likes to put him in that role. There's definitely some offensive upside there, the question is whether he figures it out or not (which is why he was taken in the 6th round).

Either way, Nurmi is definitely a long-term project player. I'd say he needs multiple years of development in either Liiga or AHL.

Reactions: DJB

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Nurmi will never be a top 6 forward.

If he works out he's likely a 4th line RW.

Just doesn't have the skill to be an impact forward.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Nurmi will never be a top 6 forward.

If he works out he's likely a 4th line RW.

Just doesn't have the skill to be an impact forward.

I don't think he is a top 6 forward either, more likely a bottom six & hope he evolves into a 3rd line player. I imagine Nurmi RW will be fighting with Gagne RW for a bottom six spot in future.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
His rights with Ottawa expire in about 3 hours. Wouldn’t lose all hope since Winnipeg only signed Chisholm today but I’m not holding my breath on him signing an ELC. To me it’s a no-brainer to sign him and loan him back to Europe but I can see why Ottawa values the contract spot it will take up.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
His rights with Ottawa expire in about 3 hours. Wouldn’t lose all hope since Winnipeg only signed Cuhisholm today but I’m not holding my breath on him signing an ELC. To me it’s a no-brainer to sign him and loan him back to Europe but I can see why Ottawa values the contract spot it will take up.
Not sure it makes much sense to sign him, he’s not likely going to be coming over any time soon, we have a glutton of guys already signed, and we are about to draft a ton more guys.

The contract spot is more valuable than a potential 4th line guy in 2023.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
His rights with Ottawa expire in about 3 hours. Wouldn’t lose all hope since Winnipeg only signed Chisholm today but I’m not holding my breath on him signing an ELC. To me it’s a no-brainer to sign him and loan him back to Europe but I can see why Ottawa values the contract spot it will take up.

With an influx of 2020 prospects in-coming, gotta make contract spots somewhere. He is also a name I haven't much hard of in relation to other prospects in the organization. So no big loss.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
So this guy's gone I guess?

Always hate losing prospects, but aint going to shed a tear for a 6th round miss. Best of luck Markus.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Nurmi is the kind of guy that's going to come back and score against us in a Game 7 one day.

And by us, I mean IF Björklöven of the Allvenskan (division 2).

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I have a hard on for defensive forwards.

The thought of him one day playing with Pageau and Stone makes me happy.

I like defensive forwards similar to Bob Gainey. Big, great skater, good puck handler, great back-checker, with some but limited offensive skills

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad