Mar 19, 2013
ClmMFXhVEAAlhBl.jpg

We traded the right goalie :sarcasm:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Sauced said:
That's what sports is all about sometimes. The Kings traded futures for the chance and look at them now, 1 playoff win since 2014 and no 1st round picks from 2014 to 2017-2018, plus they traded away their best D prospect, Martin Jones and other prospects for 2 rentals that ****ed. It goes both ways.

They traded for pieces to try to improve their odds to win.
Sekera had gotten hurt.
They shouldn't of traded for Lucic they should of been more concerned with their blueline.

Trading Fowler away for a pick is the exact opposite of what a team trying to win does and we should be trying to win. Trading Fowler for a pick says we don't care about winning and that isn't a good message to send.

If trading Fowler do so for a win now piece like Tatar and a pick.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Anyone think Scott Hartnell might be an option for the Ducks at LW? He has a $4.75M cap hit (actual salary is lower) for 3 years. Columbus is looking to shed salary and might retain some.

He's 34 but has been productive and is good in the room. Would you take him if CBJ retains 50%?

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Here's a possible scenario:

X - Getzlaf ($9.25M) - Perry ($10M)
X - Rakell ($3M) - X
Cogliano ($3.1M) - Kesler ($7.875M) - Silfverberg ($3.75M)
Garbutt ($1M) - Wagner ($.625M) - X
Thompson* ($1.7M)

Lindholm ($6M) - Vatanen ($5M)
Fowler ($4M) - Manson ($.825M)
Theodore ($.833M) - Bieska ($4M)
Depth D ($1M)

Gibson ($1.5M)
Backup ($2M)

Extra: Maroon, Fistric, & Stoner* ($1.717M)

Total: $67.175M

* $1M retained on Stoner
* Thompson counts against internal budget

In this scenario, you could magically trade Bieska and still not have enough money to complete the roster.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Anyone think Scott Hartnell might be an option for the Ducks at LW? He has a $4.75M cap hit (actual salary is lower) for 3 years. Columbus is looking to shed salary and might retain some.

He's 34 but has been productive and is good in the room. Would you take him if CBJ retains 50%?

We can't afford Hartnell.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
They traded for pieces to try to improve their odds to win.
Sekera had gotten hurt.
They shouldn't of traded for Lucic they should of been more concerned with their blueline.

Trading Fowler away for a pick is the exact opposite of what a team trying to win does and we should be trying to win. Trading Fowler for a pick says we don't care about winning and that isn't a good message to send.

If trading Fowler do so for a win now piece like Tatar and a pick.

Yes and it bit them in the ass and they will pay for it for a long time. There's risk both ways.

mytduxfan*

That's what sports is all about sometimes. The Kings traded futures for the chance and look at them now, 1 playoff win since 2014 and no 1st round picks from 2014 to 2017-2018, plus they traded away their best D prospect, Martin Jones and other prospects for 2 rentals that ****ed. It goes both ways.

What LA did is the opposite of giving up Fowler for a whole bunch of maybe... like the exact opposite.

I'm not really sure you have a clue what you're talking about anymore after this post.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
What LA did is the opposite of giving up Fowler for a whole bunch of maybe... like the exact opposite.

I'm not really sure you have a clue what you're talking about anymore after this post.

Yes the point was sometimes you have to weigh the pros of building for the future or preparing for expansion draft etc vs keeping something and hoping we will win.

I don't want our prospect pool ending up being dire like the Kings will be soon. They won their cup then went all in to win and they have won 1 playoff game since 2014 and have 0 first round picks from 2014 to 2017-2018 plus all their terrible contracts....

We could look similar to that once Kesler, Getzlaf, Perry age I just hope we have some prospects to step up

mytduxfan*

Here's a possible scenario:

X - Getzlaf ($9.25M) - Perry ($10M)
X - Rakell ($3M) - X
Cogliano ($3.1M) - Kesler ($7.875M) - Silfverberg ($3.75M)
Garbutt ($1M) - Wagner ($.625M) - X
Thompson* ($1.7M)

Lindholm ($6M) - Vatanen ($5M)
Fowler ($4M) - Manson ($.825M)
Theodore ($.833M) - Bieska ($4M)
Depth D ($1M)

Gibson ($1.5M)
Backup ($2M)

Extra: Maroon, Fistric, & Stoner* ($1.717M)

Total: $67.175M

* $1M retained on Stoner
* Thompson counts against internal budget

In this scenario, you could magically trade Bieska and still not have enough money to complete the roster.

Your numbers are wrong...

Silf = 3M

Wagner = 0.635M

Lindholm isn't getting 6M

Rakell will probably get less then 3M

where is Ritchie?

No need for depth D if we have Montour ready and waiting.

I doubt we sign a back-up for 2M. I imagine 1.5M would be the limit.

And, finally, you have no clue what the internal budget will be, so this is all for naught.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
The franchise can't afford to have a dry prospect pool. Bob has been and will continue to be against trading important assets for rentals for this very reason. Additionally, when needed, he will trade core pieces for futures to improve our long term outlook.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Who knows if Tatar +16 is even a trade being offered. But it does check off two boxes of BM's criteria:

1. LW who shoots Left
2. 3 top 30 picks should help the prospect pool a little.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Your numbers are wrong...

Silf = 3M

Wagner = 0.635M

Lindholm isn't getting 6M

Rakell will probably get less then 3M

where is Ritchie?

No need for depth D if we have Montour ready and waiting.

I doubt we sign a back-up for 2M. I imagine 1.5M would be the limit.

And, finally, you have no clue what the internal budget will be, so this is all for naught.

Again, it's a possible scenario. It's possible Lindholm gets a 6x6 contract. It's possible Rakell gets $3M. And even if the numbers are high, we still have to cut salary.

Silfverberg is set to make $3.75M according to NHL Numbers.

You can slot in Ritchie, but add $.925M to the total.

You think we're going to carry six defenseman?

mytduxfan*

Yes the point was sometimes you have to weigh the pros of building for the future or preparing for expansion draft etc vs keeping something and hoping we will win.

I don't want our prospect pool ending up being dire like the Kings will be soon. They won their cup then went all in to win and they have won 1 playoff game since 2014 and have 0 first round picks from 2014 to 2017-2018 plus all their terrible contracts....

WTF are you talking about? We have 2 x 1sts this year and our prospect pool is heaving with young, desirable D-men that could easily be traded for young forwards. BM has even said that we can't do what LA, NYR, CHI, PIT are doing i.e. selling the future for the now. We have to keep drafting.

So, essentially, what you're saying is that moving out Fowler would solve a problem that doesn't exist?

We could look similar to that once Kesler, Getzlaf, Perry age I just hope we have some prospects to step up

Will Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler need replacing? Sure, but I'm failing to see why we can't do that just drafting the way we have been for the passed 10 years now. We've got two picks this year, who are you to say that we won't draft a Giroux, Kuznetsov, Patches, even a Pastrnak or a Fabbri. The point is, it's not impossible to get good prospects consistently drafting late... heck, DET made a dynasty of it. However, they also kept their best players and they were a dominant force in the league for doing so.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I don't get all the media talk about moving Fowler. Admittedly, I'm a Cam fan, but He's worth what we pay him plus. If they moved him for salary reasons, then Bob loses my confidence. If they lose him for a forward that isn't a young stud LW, then it hurts the team. I'd have maybe parted with him for Drouin. Heck, Tim Murray openly stated he'd trade #8 pick for a stud D. Maybe Cam alone isn't enough, but Risto-Fowler sounds nasty to me.

mytduxfan*

Again, it's a possible scenario. It's possible Lindholm gets a 6x6 contract. It's possible Rakell gets $3M. And even if the numbers are high, we still have to cut salary.

It's possible, but it's an overly cautious and highly skeptical outlook. Another possibility is that Lindholm comes in at the same as Vatanen at 6 x 5M and Rakell takes a 2 yr bridge deal at 2.5M.

Silfverberg is set to make $3.75M according to NHL Numbers.

It's wrong - https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/ducks/salary
http://www.generalfanager.com/players/118

Silf got 4.5M last season, then 3M this, then 3.75M for the next 2 = 4yrs @ 3.75M AAV.

You can slot in Ritchie, but add $.925M to the total.

So? That's 1 forward slot filled by a cheap forward. It's a lot easier and cheaper to fill roster spots with guys you already have. Noesen, Pirri, and Ritchie could easily fill 3 of the 4 spots you have left for what? Like ~3.5M, maybe less.

You think we're going to carry six defenseman?[/QUOTE]

Lindholm, Vatanen, Manson, Fowler, Theodore, Bieska, Montour = 7 D-men.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
It's possible, but it's an overly cautious and highly skeptical outlook. Another possibility is that Lindholm comes in at the same as Vatanen at 6 x 5M and Rakell takes a 2 yr bridge deal at 2.5M.

It's wrong - https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/ducks/salary
http://www.generalfanager.com/players/118

Silf got 4.5M last season, then 3M this, then 3.75M for the next 2 = 4yrs @ 3.75M AAV.

So? That's 1 forward slot filled by a cheap forward. It's a lot easier and cheaper to fill roster spots with guys you already have. Noesen, Pirri, and Ritchie could easily fill 3 of the 4 spots you have left for what? Like ~3.5M, maybe less.

You think we're going to carry six defenseman?

Lindholm, Vatanen, Manson, Fowler, Theodore, Bieska, Montour = 7 D-men.

And in both cases we still need to cut salary.

I've read that NHL Numbers is more accurate than CapFriendly.

Montour won't be a healthy scratch. And if he was, you'd have to add his salary to the total.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

We have a good prospect pool and we have two 1st round picks in this coming draft and we are not a team that trades away 1st round picks to the point of us not drafting in round 1's so you don't have to worry. I don't see how that is related to us trading Fowler away like I have been saying. Fowler shouldn't be traded for picks but win now piece.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015

Our prospect pool is miles better than LA already and we have two 1st round picks this year, and 2nd's next year( on top of our 1st).

Now is the wrong time to be worrying about going full restock on the farm system.

edit: ^ beat me to it.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Missed it. Expand to how much?
As much as necessary. They knew coming in to this year what the salaries of Getz, Perry, Kesler were going to do, and they knew that Vatanen and Lindholm would jump. You'll either pay for a contender or you won't. If we lose one of our top 3 defenseman for a draft pick, we'll have our answer. But I think they'll open their checkbooks. There's enough cap space.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Missed it. Expand to how much?

He didn't say how much. But with the owner getting extra cash from expansion fees, and a couple playoff years in a row, i'm hoping the Ducks sit around 69-70 mil next year.

This team needs to compete now. They'll either pay to play or they wont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad