2016-17 season expectations

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Did I read bottom 10?

You guys are depressing.

5th-8th conference. And hopefully they offset cap space for a new direction.

The best case scenario given the roster and competition would be to use this year and next as transition years.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`ve a good feeling this year with an eastern champ. final vs Tampa Bay. :)
And some players can surprise us positive who are in their prime age. I also think both Stepan & Nash will improve since they were injured last year.
Maybe both Girardi & Staal need to adjust and improve since last year based on their contract value. :)
Perhaps Fast, Kreider and Miller will see improvements in their prime age - and hopefully Buch can surprise us positive as well if he manage to be NHL ready. :nod:

Hank will more likely have a better playoffs as well - so anything can happen vs Tampa Bay next year - so a possible new stanley cup final next season is my prediction vs Hawks.

LGR! :handclap:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Florida/Tampa/Washington/Pittsburgh are all better than us. If things go right we are probably best of the rest.

Hybrid MB24

Nov 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
You guys are nuts.

This isn't a bottom 5 team, I'd find it hard to believe this is a bottom 10 team. The Rangers are a bubble team. We will either be just in or just out.

• Rick Nash could bounce back, he just had a killer 40 goal season with us just two seasons ago. If he doesn't, try a move at the deadline. If its the contract we want off the books, I'm sure Vegas could use a face for the franchise.
  • Our penalty-killing and speed may very well be improved. Grabner, Gerbe.
  • Our power-play will probably be worse.
  • If Tanner Glass becomes our 13th, we'd arguably have better forward depth than last season.
  • Buchnevich fills the void of Eric Staal, not that this is a hard void to fill.
  • McDonagh, barring injury, probably puts up best points total yet this season.
  • Girardi and Staal aren't the players we once knew, but they aren't AHL-quality eoither. They will always be overpaid, but they aren't useless.
  • No, we do not have a puck moving defenseman, perhaps the biggest void we will miss from this past season.
  • As unlikely as it is, Girardi and Staal can still be traded. Somehow. Give it time.
  • Jimmy Vesey probably coming to the Northeast if Buffalo doesn't pan out. We got some dollar and room on the depth chart.
  • Capitals, Panthers, Penguins, Lightning, and Red Wings only teams probably ahead of us. We are still in the mix with Islanders, Flyers, Devils, Sabres, and Bruins.
  • Competing for the Cup at this moment is a pipe dream. But Lundqvist will always give us the chance to make the playoffs. As long as he is our starting goaltender, we will not be far out from the playoffs.
  • Can I get a "hell yeah" to Girardi and Staal bouncing back into being Top 4 defenseman!?
  • Hayes no longer in sophomore slump. Miller avoids any kind of slump.

Nash - 68 Points
Stepan - 62 Points
Brassard - 55 Points
Zuccarello - 54 Points
Kreider - 47 Points
McDonagh - 45 Points
Miller - 43 Points
Hayes - 43 Points
Buchnevich - 41 Points
Grabner - 38 Points
Fast - 33 Points
Klein - 31 Points
Lindberg - 28 Points
Gerbe - 26 Points
Girardi - 24 Points
Staal - 20 Points
Holden - 17 Points

Jensen, Skjei, Hrivik, McIlrath, Glass, Clendening, Paliotta, Summers all rotating through the season for injuries and lineup changes.

Lets have a fun season here. Watch the recent graduates of Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Buchnevich, Skjei, McIlrath, Jensen continue to progress. I think we often forget these are all guys that just graduated to NHL within just 2-3 seasons.
Not trade away a first round pick.
Keep pushing for a Girardi/Staal move.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I like all the optimism here, I just personally don't see it.

Lundqvist is another year older. The team lost its only legitimate pick moving defenseman besides McDonagh. Staal and Girardi are both likely on the team this year barring a miracle trade. Even if one of them gets dealt, the Rangers will have to deal with the growing pains of Skjei, Graves, and McIlrath.

Nash is another year older. Buchnevich is a good add, but likely will underwhelm based on what is expected of him.

Washington and Pittsburgh will both finish above the Rangers. They will finish 3rd in the Metro in the best case scenario. That's if everything goes right. Philly, Columbus, and NJ are all going to be better next season. The Islanders still have Tavares and will score lots of goals. It's not a stretch to think that 2 or 3 of those Teams finish above the Rangers in addition to the Caps and Pens.

I dunno. I guess I just have a less rosy outlook.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
A very slow start that will lead to AV's firing in January, they recover enough just to miss the playoffs by 4-6 points.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
We're a horse or two short of being anything more than a bubble team.

We need A) top-5 goaltending and B) big leaps forward from a few players - I guess I have Nash ~point per game bounceback, Buchnevich, McIlrath and Hayes in about that order.

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Off the top of my head..

Teams clearly better than the rangers
Pitt
Wash
Florida
Tampa

That's four.

Teams on the same level give or take..

Buffalo
Isles
Sabres
Philly
Boston
Detroit

That's six

So basically...we're a bubble team.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I expect nothing but the Cup, that's what ya play for.

You lead a Lion to the mouse's water, and make him drink it ! - Glen Slats Sather

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Lundqvist is healthy, we squeak in the playoffs, 8th place. We don't trade anyone at the deadline this means. Then lose in the first round again.

If he gets injured for a month+, we miss the playoffs...9th-10th place finish.

Rather us just have a brutal season, trade away older parts at the deadline for youth, and get a top draft pick. Take it from there. I can live with a bad season if it means the start of a new era for us. I don't want 5 years of mediocre hockey.

This is exactly my opinion.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Off the top of my head..

Teams clearly better than the rangers
Pitt
Wash
Florida
Tampa

That's four.

Teams on the same level give or take..

Buffalo
Isles
Sabres
Philly
Boston
Detroit

That's six

So basically...we're a bubble team.

Buffalo and Sabres are the same team though :sarcasm:

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
They'll make the playoffs because Hank, McD, and the top 9 are good.

The most exciting thing that could happen this season would be a trade of Marc and Girardi for actual assets.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I suspect we'll add one puck-moving defensemen and maybe another top 9 winger before the season begins.
But if the season were to start today, I'd have us at 4th/5th in the conference.
Nash bounces back, Kreider, Miller & Hayes continue to improve, Buchnevich & Skjei have stellar rookie seasons

Nash - 80
Zuccarello - 76
Brassard - 70
Stepan - 68
Kreider - 63
Buchnevich - 58
Miller - 51
McDonagh - 47
Hayes - 46
Klein - 39
Lindberg - 37
Grabner - 31
Skjei - 28
Fast - 26
Staal - 23
Girardi - 19
McIlrath - 16

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
Around a 7-10 spot for most of the year. The Rangers decide to "go for it" again because if you get in the playoffs, anything can happen. Jarome Iginla and Patrick Marleau become Rangers at the deadline for the small price of Graves (B level prospect and not needed when we already have Staal, McD, Skjei), 2017 first (picks are overrated), and McIlrath ("at this moment we believe Girardi and Holden are better defensively than Dylan").

The Rangers get in as an 8 seed and get destroyed in 4 by the Bolts/Caps/Pens. Girardi and Staal remain on the roster following the 2017 offseason and are protected in the expansion draft. Tanner Glass is re-signed to a 4 year deal at only $2.5M per year. AV not fired.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Around a 7-10 spot for most of the year. The Rangers decide to "go for it" again because if you get in the playoffs, anything can happen. Jarome Iginla and Patrick Marleau become Rangers at the deadline for the small price of Graves (B level prospect and not needed when we already have Staal, McD, Skjei), 2017 first (picks are overrated), and McIlrath ("at this moment we believe Girardi and Holden are better defensively than Dylan").

The Rangers get in as an 8 seed and get destroyed in 4 by the Bolts/Caps/Pens. Girardi and Staal remain on the roster following the 2017 offseason and are protected in the expansion draft. Tanner Glass is re-signed to a 4 year deal at only $2.5M per year. AV not fired.

so you are an optimist :popcorn:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I suspect we'll add one puck-moving defensemen and maybe another top 9 winger before the season begins.
But if the season were to start today, I'd have us at 4th/5th in the conference.
Nash bounces back, Kreider, Miller & Hayes continue to improve, Buchnevich & Skjei have stellar rookie seasons

Nash - 80
Zuccarello - 76
Brassard - 70
Stepan - 68
Kreider - 63
Buchnevich - 58
Miller - 51
McDonagh - 47
Hayes - 46
Klein - 39
Lindberg - 37
Grabner - 31
Skjei - 28
Fast - 26
Staal - 23
Girardi - 19
McIlrath - 16

That is, uh...generous.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Nash - 60
Brassard- 55
Zucc - 55
Stepan - 55
Kreider - 45
Miller - 45
Buch - 35
Hayes - 45
Lindberg - 20
Fast - 25
Grabner - 20
McD - 45
Skjei - 15
Staal - 15
Girardi - 15 (if he plays)
Klein - 25
McI - 15 (if he plays)
Holden - 15

That's more realistic imo

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Florida/Tampa/Washington/Pittsburgh are all better than us. If things go right we are probably best of the rest.

This time last year I bet folks had a list of four teams better than Pitt.
The entire team under performed last season.
Tired, beat up, whatever Including the coach and goalie.
Got to believe a little tinkering will go a long way.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
DmiWsmv.jpg

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nash has had 39, 69, & 36 points in his last 3 seasons. Anyone planning on him getting 80 points next season may be a little bit optimistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad