Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Continued from:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2086297

Last few posts in that thread:

Solid lineup but I doubt the Jets will sit a players who are eligible for the Moose in the press box.

Here's my latest roster:

To start:

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Armia
Connor - Perrault - Stafford
Mathias - Lowry - Burmie

I think the forward core is a good mix of size skill and grit. I tried to spread out the proven goal scorers over the first 3 lines with a proven depth goal scorer in Mathias anchoring the fourth.

I also have tried to put the weak shot metric players (Stafford and Mathias) with players known to tilt the ice.

Defense:

Trouba - Buff Looked like a dominant first pairing in their short time together last year
Enstrom - Myers Should be a solid 2nd pairing next year
Morrissey - Postma Great skating and puck moving should drive play forward.

Helle
Hutch

The fate of the old guard:

Thor makes popcorn for Stuart in the press box.

Pavs warms the pine on the Moose

Morrissey and Postma is my ideal 3rd pair.

There is not really a better pairing anyways. And the potential for those 2 to be good is there. Unlike the rest, you practically know already what you are getting.

Plus the top 4 gets to do all the heavy lifting anyways.

Mostly agree, but I don't see Armia on the 2nd. His P/60 is Thor level despite a couple highlight reels thrown in. I have a feeling the Jets will go more traditional top 2 lines.

MP-Little-Wheeler (3 vets that can produce, push possession and take hard matchups)
Laine-Scheif-Ehlers (Our rising stud center with 2 guys who will eventually put up huge numbers. Our future #1 line in a more sheltered role with a ton of offensive opportunities)

After that I think there will be a ton of mixing and matching and a whole lot of competition for the bottom 6. I agree 100% with the defense and goaltending.

Laine Scheifele Ehlers
Connor Little Wheeler
Armia Perreault Dano
Mathias Lowry Stafford

Enstrom Trouba
Chiarot Buff
Morrissey Myers

Helle Pavs with Comrie getting the call sometimes around the ASG.

Love your lineup - almost identical to what I'm wanting. Really hoping that Connor has a good TC because he's the man on the bubble, but having his presence in ther top 9 with decent linemates would be huge. Would love to get Petan in there somewhere as well, but there's no room for him in the top 9 as is & heaven help us if they bring him up to use him on the 4th line with Thorburn and/or Burmi again.

Would love to see Morrissey-Postma as third pair D, but again quite unlikely. Quite sure that Chiarot & Stu will be around that D somewhere, latter hopefully on the bench but that's fanciful talk I'm sure. Same with Pavs, can't see how Helly gets to start with Pavs around, so we'll see how that shakes out.

I mostly put Armia in that slot due to the fact that I think his style compliments the other two pretty well but I really have no qualms with overloading the top 6 as you have done. I'd just be a bit concerned about offense from our bottom 6 seeing as Burmie and Stafford weren't good together last year.

My hunch is that they try and spread out the forward vets who are good, Wheeler, Little and Perrault and have each of them anchor a line. That way they aren't stuck with a 21 year old average 3rd line, or having Stafford or Burmi be the responsible veteran/leader when they aren't that good.

That's been my thinking as well. We have enough talent to try to emulate the Pitts Cup model.

Discuss.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Goaltending Situation

Recently had a discussion with a friend and he was trying to explain to me that Hellebuyck may not start the season with the Jets because of the contract situations and looming expansion. I argued that there is no way as he is the clear cut best goaltender on the team.

The agrument was the Jets may start the season with Hutchinson and Pavs and they will try and unload Pavs at some point and bring up Hellebuyck. The reason being next year when the Jets have to leave a goaltender unprotected for expansion they will with Hutch as they cant with Pav because he is a UFA.

I said that doesnt make sense as they will want Comrie playing games in the AHL and Hellebuyck gives the Jets the best chance to win.

What do you guys anticipate will happen?

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I think they might run 3 goalies for a while..

Pavelec's not getting demoted and I've been of the opinion since his contract was signed that they're not going to waive Hutchinson even if it's super unlikely he clears due to the fact that they'll need to expose him for expansion.

The hope would be that an early injury will leave some team needing goalie depth and then maybe you can move Pavelec out.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Recently had a discussion with a friend and he was trying to explain to me that Hellebuyck may not start the season with the Jets because of the contract situations and looming expansion. I argued that there is no way as he is the clear cut best goaltender on the team.

The agrument was the Jets may start the season with Hutchinson and Pavs and they will try and unload Pavs at some point and bring up Hellebuyck. The reason being next year when the Jets have to leave a goaltender unprotected for expansion they will with Hutch as they cant with Pav because he is a UFA.

I said that doesnt make sense as they will want Comrie playing games in the AHL and Hellebuyck gives the Jets the best chance to win.

What do you guys anticipate will happen?

Your friend has it right IMO. Been discussed a fair bit here, with some feeling that we'll start 3, some feeling Pavs will be traded, etc. I think it will be Pavs & Hutch with Helly coming up to join them half way through the season. Maybe we'll be so lucky as to ship Pavs off to someone for a bag of pucks at the TD.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Your friend has it right IMO. Been discussed a fair bit here, with some feeling that we'll start 3, some feeling Pavs will be traded, etc. I think it will be Pavs & Hutch with Helly coming up to join them half way through the season. Maybe we'll be so lucky as to ship Pavs off to someone for a bag of pucks at the TD.

So good chance Hellebuyck starts the season in the AHL? Seems like a mixed message to send to the team not having your best goaltender start the season. I feel like running with 3 and hoping for an injury to flip Pavs makes the mose sense but obviously you guys will know better than me.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

It is going to be hard for Chevy to send Helly-buck to the Moose after he backstops team NA to win the WCOH ..........:popcorn:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think they might run 3 goalies for a while..

Pavelec's not getting demoted and I've been of the opinion since his contract was signed that they're not going to waive Hutchinson even if it's super unlikely he clears due to the fact that they'll need to expose him for expansion.

The hope would be that an early injury will leave some team needing goalie depth and then maybe you can move Pavelec out.

I agree with this. I think that the Jets could afford to retain quite a bit of salary on Pavs to perhaps make it more palatable to a team that is looking for a second-tier option in net.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think Hellebuyck would have to set the arena in fire to actually get the de facto starter job out of TC. It is incredibly unfortunate...but it's the situation we find ourselves in. I would have liked Pavs to have been traded already...but I would imagine that it is difficult to find a suitor for such a garbage tender.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I would be shocked if Helle isn`t the starting goalie this year. He`s proven to be the best option, and it`s not like it will cost them more to send Pavs down. Either way he`s getting paid, might as well ice the best team. Unless they aren`t interested in winning yet.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Now that Stu has been stripped of his A, let me introduce the official 2016-17 starting D:

Trouba - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Morrissey/Chiarot - Postma

Bench: Chiarot, Stu

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
anyone that played on our 3rd line on higher last year not named scheifele,wheeler,ehlers,little,perrault,stafford, will be fighting it out for 4th line spots.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
The trouble with the "carry 3 goalies" line of thinking is that we are already up against all sorts of problems with the forward group and the 23 roster spots. If you want to keep all three up with the big team, that is one less spot you can keep for a forward, and one more player you may have to try to get through waivers. While contracts matter, they can't been the sole determinant of who stays up and who goes down.

In a three goalies world, your press box probably has 1 F, 1D and 1G rather than the 1F/2D or 2F/1D model that we are accustomed to. I think the Jets need two of those spots for forwards, or they will loose someone they don't want to loose.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
The trouble with the "carry 3 goalies" line of thinking is that we are already up against all sorts of problems with the forward group and the 23 roster spots. If you want to keep all three up with the big team, that is one less spot you can keep for a forward, and one more player you may to try to get through waivers. Why contracts matter, they can't been the sole determinant of who stays up and who goes down.

In a three goalies world, your press box probably has 1 F, 1D and 1G rather than the 1F/2D or 2F/1D model that we are accustomed to. I think the Jets need two of those spots for forwards, or they will loose someone they don't want to lose.

We have plenty of players that are waiver exempt.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Plus it's easier for us to bring people up with the Moose in Winnipeg as well.

Even if this wasn't the case...teams lose players to waivers. Guess what? It happens. If they are sitting in the pressbox, chances are they aren't a key cog in the machine. We could just pass Peluso up and down through waivers if it really becomes an issue.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Even if this wasn't the case...teams lose players to waivers. Guess what? It happens. If they are sitting in the pressbox, chances are they aren't a key cog in the machine. We could just pass Peluso up and down through waivers if it really becomes an issue.

Yup, I am fine with waiving some of our fringe players. I want to ice the best team possible if we lose a Thor or Peluso no big deal.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'll keep saying it.
Hellebuyck will start.
They'll find a way to make it work.

I'm going to agree with you Puck. This needs to be the year of transition. If Helly is the best goalie he plays. If you know you are moving on from Pavs after this season what value is there in playing him in the NHL over your future, if your future is already better? He costs the same no matter where he plays.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm going to agree with you Puck. This needs to be the year of transition. If Helly is the best goalie he plays. If you know you are moving on from Pavs after this season what value is there in playing him in the NHL over your future, if your future is already better? He costs the same no matter where he plays.

I agree with this. I also wonder if the Jets might consider trading Pavs with substantial salary retention just to clear the crease a bit.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with this. I also wonder if the Jets might consider trading Pavs with substantial salary retention just to clear the crease a bit.

Any idea who might be willing to take Pavs even with retained salary? A $2 M cap hit isn't unreasonable if you are stuck for a backup.

This does feel like a little bit of wishful thinking though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad