Post-Game Talk: 2016-17 New York Rangers (48-28-6 // 6-6) (OTT wins the series 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
If you go back to a majority of the past several playoffs, if the Rangers clicked at even 15-17% on the PP they would have won 3-4 more series.

There are many areas to blame. Coaching, player effort. Its a combination of a lot of things. But not having that top finisher or QB on the PP is what has done this team in the last several years.

A PP goal here and there makes a big difference in the playoffs because they are always at timely moments and effect the momentum of a game and series.

There's absolutely no movement on our PP, and it makes sustaining zone time nearly impossible. Look at any other playoff team on the PP, and you see players cycling and creating passing lanes. If they do mishandle the puck, they almost always have someone moving with speed towards the puck to contest any clearing attempt. We just setup in an umbrella configuration, the same thing I learned in peewee, and pass it around the perimeter. All Ottawa needs to do is block our cross ice passing lanes and there's nothing we can do other than take a shot from the outside and hope for a lucky bounce. Our PP setup is literally something I could teach to children. It's pathetic.

edit: lol, just watch this and tell me this isn't exactly what we run. We do the simplest PP setup possible. This is what we pay Arniel for.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
"But AV is a good coach!"

"We've never had this much success!"

This core is stale,they're complacent,they laid down like dogs when the season was on the line.

This coach can GTFO.

This. The way they came out to start is shameful and on the coach, yes. Plus, this isn't the first time they came out flat in a elimination game. I'm over it.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
There's absolutely no movement on our PP, and it makes sustaining zone time nearly impossible. Look at any other playoff team on the PP, and you see players cycling and creating passing lanes. If they do mishandle the puck, they almost always have someone moving with speed towards the puck to contest any clearing attempt. We just setup in an umbrella configuration, the same thing I learned in peewee, and pass it around the perimeter. All Ottawa needs to do is block our cross ice passing lanes and there's nothing we can do other than take a shot from the outside and hope for a lucky bounce. Our PP setup is literally something I could teach to children. It's pathetic.

edit: lol, just watch this and tell me this isn't exactly what we run. We do the simplest PP setup possible. This is what we pay Arniel for.

It's easy to notice any time opposing teams have good skaters and can put pressure on the Rangers puck handler during the PP, the whole system falls apart because there is no movement and solid decision making.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Have you guys already talked about how Brendan Smith's terrible defensive play last night literally lead to all three goals against? I really thought you guys played amazing as a team all series - so much respect - too bad one guy's laziness cost you.

Even Karlsson showed he was human in games 3 and 4.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I said it on a thread on the main board--

Karlsson is the best defenseman in the league, and it's really not that close.

And just think, even if the Rangers somehow drafted a Karlsson type of player, AV would bench him after one mistake. He'd never develop into what he is today.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Agree with the comments about the PP being too static. The whole point of a PP is to break down the box. We don't move our feet and we don't keep the puck moving. When we finally decide to shoot, PKers have already recovered and are back in their box and blocking lanes. They need to stop over-analyzing and let shots rip and then get high-quality chances off scrambles.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
What if I told you that there's a team that won 2 cups within the decade with only a single player breaking 60 points?

What if I told you that the coach of that team could be on your podium tomorrow?

We dont have anyone on the level of Kopitar, Carter, or Doughty though

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
such a shame to not show up last night until it was basically too late.

so many issues with this group.

had chances to put this team away and squandered every one of them.

i blame AV 100%. misuse of players, poor decisions on who dresses and who sits, illogical ice times and over use of certain payers, poor special teams play, again came out flat at home in an elimination game, and most of all, his continued reliance on the "kick at the can" group.

this team DOES NOT NEED A COMPLETE OVERHAUL. they have a good solid core.

they need a coach who understands how to use the players to their strengths and some additional talent to address the HOLES IN THE LINEUP.

1. pp point man. #27 is an absolute stud DMan but he is NOT an offensive player who feels the game and can run a pp. he just cant. stop force feeding me ryan mcdonough on the pp for gods sake. as good as he is playing D, he's awful when he's out of his element. a good coach would understand that.

solution: Shattenkirk, Kevin with a decent discount if he wants to play here. he makes this defense instantly more capable of scoring and creating on the pp.

2. CUT AWAY THE DEAD WOOD. staal, girardi, klein and maybe holden- whom i would keep for next season. 2 of those 4 need to be gone. retool the defense with younger, faster, more skilled and cheaper.

3. GOOD BYE RICK NASH. gone with retention to free cap and get back prospect or pick.

4. TRADE 2 of these names. Stepan, Kreider, Hayes, Miller and Zuc. pick 2. i keep zuc and miller personally.

5. Resign Brendan Smith.

FIRE AV and his entire staff save for maybe Beuk.

CORE D

???? 22

CORE F

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
We dont have anyone on the level of Kopitar, Carter, or Doughty though

Doesn't mean he's not a good coach. Look what he did in San Jose and Calgary, I would get him in a second. He also comes off as a guy that wouldn't accept the no effort nonsense this team has become accustomed to

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The young core of forwards overall failed the team here, with the exception of Zibanejad. Stepan, Kreider, Hayes, Miller. Awful. All 4 of them.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
AV can go to h-e-double hockey sticks, but blaming him for the team's lack of energy and passion is ridiculous. Players have to be accountable to themselves for bringing motivation. I just feel this core group is tired, and tired of each other. They might be good friends on a personal level, but professionally they're done with each other. They don't even have a good Adriana Lima excuse for not wanting to play.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
Let's not over react on Krieder here with these trade him posts. He has been one of our top playoff performers over the past bunch of play offs.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I've come to the conclusion that kreider will never be more than an occasional tease.

bundle him and move him before he plays himself into the next mike delzotto.

dude is all world talent but has the mind of a starfish.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Let's not over react on Krieder here with these trade him posts. He has been one of our top playoff performers over the past bunch of play offs.

I don't want to trade him, but this is the first time he was considered a go-to offensive player in the playoffs. He failed at it. Growing experience.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
The young core of forwards overall failed the team here, with the exception of Zibanejad. Stepan, Kreider, Hayes, Miller. Awful. All 4 of them.

I do agree, Hayes, Miller, and Stepan were a different kind of awful than Kreider. I think we all have high expectations of Kreider, and he at least showed up for some parts of the playoffs, not enough though, just wasn't consistent enough. The other 3 never showed up, they did absolutely nothing the entire playoffs.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I don't want to trade him, but this is the first time he was considered a go-to offensive player in the playoffs. He failed at it. Growing experience.

He definitely failed. And him playing like a mad man in the final 5 minutes of an elimination game only made it more frustrating.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013

Idk, I have a hard time blaming the forwards. Our team was built on depth for a reason. We scored 4+ goals in 4 straight games and only won 2 of them. That's the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad