Line Combos: 2016-17 Lineup Discussion, Playoff Edition - Who's Left?

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Never liked Kase being sent down in the first place. He was very good in his only game, and Ritchie had been very underwhelming prior to his suspension anyhow. The team desperately needs Kase and Kerdile's speed and potential offense.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Because Edmonton has the last line change, I wonder if RC is going to move Rakell to the third line. Otherwise he could put Mcdavid against our third line.

Maybe
Vermette-Gets-Eaves
Cogs-Kesler-Silf
Kase-Rakell-Perry
Kerdiles-Thompson-Wagner

Fowler-Montour
Hampus-Manson
Holzer-vats

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Time to go back to our bread and butter line during the regular season with getz rakell and eaves on the first line.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Never liked Kase being sent down in the first place. He was very good in his only game, and Ritchie had been very underwhelming prior to his suspension anyhow. The team desperately needs Kase and Kerdile's speed and potential offense.

Idont get it. Ritchie has been horrible in my opinion and when kase is out there is is constantly winning puck battles and creating chances.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
And having Shaw on the third line gives us 0 offense. Boll and Shaw likely scratched tomorrow.

lol yeah right.

I imagine Boll and Wagner are scratched. A big mistake to scratch Wagner over Shaw, but Shaw's blackmail on RC is too strong to get him benched.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Idont get it. Ritchie has been horrible in my opinion and when kase is out there is is constantly winning puck battles and creating chances.

Ritchie scores goals and hits. And then disappears for long periods of time. And then chips in again.

Kase is flashy, and pucks hounds well in the offensive zone, but he's otherwise been a zero offensively. He had a goal February 22. You have to go 29 games back (January 6) to find the next goal that he's scored. He has 2G 4A 6P in those 29 games. Ritchie is 5G 10A 15P in the regular season since January 6.

Edit - I'm not saying that he's playing great, because he absolutely isn't. But he's by a wide margin the more productive NHL player. I want him on the 4th line because I think he can succeed with Thompson and Wagner, not scratched. I want Kase in because having some speed on that 3rd line (and only 1 player constantly turning the puck over instead of 2) MIGHT amount to something and Shaw has been unable to manage anything, not because I think Kase is the piece that will make a difference.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Game 3 scratches:

Bieksa, Holzer, Despres, Boll, Kerdiles, Kase. Gee, thanks, guys, I'm sure they'll both be back in time for tomorrow night's AHL game.... *sigh*

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Ritchie scores goals and hits. And then disappears for long periods of time. And then chips in again.

Kase is flashy, and pucks hounds well in the offensive zone, but he's otherwise been a zero offensively. He had a goal February 22. You have to go 29 games back (January 6) to find the next goal that he's scored. He has 2G 4A 6P in those 29 games. Ritchie is 5G 10A 15P in the regular season since January 6.

Edit - I'm not saying that he's playing great, because he absolutely isn't. But he's by a wide margin the more productive NHL player. I want him on the 4th line because I think he can succeed with Thompson and Wagner, not scratched. I want Kase in because having some speed on that 3rd line (and only 1 player constantly turning the puck over instead of 2) MIGHT amount to something and Shaw has been unable to manage anything, not because I think Kase is the piece that will make a difference.

Their scoring isn't too far apart. This year
Kase has 5+10=15 in 53 games = .28ppg
Ritchie has 14+14=28 in 77 games = .36ppg

I would also say that Ritchie played a ton of top line minutes with Getzlaf who inflates everyones numbers when they play with him. Kase on the other hand played mostly 3rd line minutes with much less talent around him and was super unlucky hitting posts constantly when he first came up (even Ahlers was constantly talking about it). Give him just a couple more of those goals and there ppg are the same.

The bigger reason why I prefer Kase to Ritchie is because I feel like Kase creates a lot more chances for his linemates and Ritchie is kind of a black hole out there. The top line really struggled with Ritchie on it. Once we took him off that line and put Rakell and Eaves on that line Getzlaf's game blew up. I'd also say Kase is still acclimating to the NHL. Kind of reminds me of Rakell a few years ago where he looks dynamic out there but just couldnt score that much and then the next year he blew up.

That's my opinion at least.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Their scoring isn't too far apart. This year
Kase has 5+10=15 in 53 games = .28ppg
Ritchie has 14+14=28 in 77 games = .36ppg

I would also say that Ritchie played a ton of top line minutes with Getzlaf who inflates everyones numbers when they play with him. Kase on the other hand played mostly 3rd line minutes with much less talent around him and was super unlucky hitting posts constantly when he first came up (even Ahlers was constantly talking about it). Give him just a couple more of those goals and there ppg are the same.

The bigger reason why I prefer Kase to Ritchie is because I feel like Kase creates a lot more chances for his linemates and Ritchie is kind of a black hole out there. The top line really struggled with Ritchie on it. Once we took him off that line and put Rakell and Eaves on that line Getzlaf's game blew up. I'd also say Kase is still acclimating to the NHL. Kind of reminds me of Rakell a few years ago where he looks dynamic out there but just couldnt score that much and then the next year he blew up.

That's my opinion at least.

Kase has 3 points in the last 20 games. Ritchie has 10.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Kase has 3 points in the last 20 games. Ritchie has 10.

That's what we call a small sample size. I'm really hoping he proves me wrong and becomes a force, I just don't see a lot of scoring chances when he is on the ice.

As I'm typing he hits the post...would be been nice for him to prove me wrong haha. I will say that playing with Corey Perry isn't helping him right now.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
That's what we call a small sample size. I'm really hoping he proves me wrong and becomes a force, I just don't see a lot of scoring chances when he is on the ice.

As I'm typing he hits the post...would be been nice for him to prove me wrong haha. I will say that playing with Corey Perry isn't helping him right now.

That sample size is about 40% of Kase's season - he's been cold. Ritchie, if you look at his splits for the year, has been a lot more consistent month to month.

In all fairness, they're both going to be streaky as hell the way that they're producing, you'd only expect 2-3 points every 10 games.

Again, I'm not saying he's playing well. But 14G >> 5G for a team who's had problems scoring goals.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Game 3 scratches:

Bieksa, Holzer, Despres, Boll, Kerdiles, Kase. Gee, thanks, guys, I'm sure they'll both be back in time for tomorrow night's AHL game.... *sigh*

Meh, NHL team comes first.

That said, I don't understand why we called up Kerdiles as well. Kase was a no brainer, but Kerdiles's call up was odd and seems kind of unnecessary. The only explanation is we had a forward or two who may feel a bit under the weather.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

That said, I don't understand why we called up Kerdiles as well. Kase was a no brainer, but Kerdiles's call up was odd and seems kind of unnecessary. The only explanation is we had a forward or two who may feel a bit under the weather.

Yeah I agree. Why call up two guys to not play them, we only needed Kase. Also, why didn't we already have him up in case of a last minute scratch like Ritchie was the other day? Boll should never hit the ice in another playoff game in his career.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Yeah I agree. Why call up two guys to not play them, we only needed Kase. Also, why didn't we already have him up in case of a last minute scratch like Ritchie was the other day? Boll should never hit the ice in another playoff game in his career.

Game 2 may have been exactly why Murray did it though. Guessing here, but I think Ritchie's absence was very "last minute", and we didn't have a choice aside from playing Boll due to no one else being available. Although I have no problem admitting that I still prefer Boll to Shaw, both of them in the lineup is just asinine.

The other thing is maybe someone else was under the weather, and they were afraid we'd have to replace them in the lineup as well.

Still, I think just bringing up Kase would have been fine.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

I'm sure we have multiple forwards with undisclosed injuries, and you're always afraid when a stomach flu hits that it's going to rip through the entire team. You don't want to lose a game because you can't ice a full roster.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm sure we have multiple forwards with undisclosed injuries, and you're always afraid when a stomach flu hits that it's going to rip through the entire team. You don't want to lose a game because you can't ice a full roster.

Which is why it was totally inexcusable that when Ritchie went down, we had no one to replace him. Just another little **** up by our GM.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Which is why it was totally inexcusable that when Ritchie went down, we had no one to replace him. Just another little **** up by our GM.

We were in Anaheim when he missed due to the flu. SD is playing vs Ontario, so they could have easily called someone up if they needed to. They chose to go with Boll.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
We were in Anaheim when he missed due to the flu. SD is playing vs Ontario, so they could have easily called someone up if they needed to. They chose to go with Boll.

Ritchie got sick during the warmup. San Diego was playing IN San Diego in a game that started 30 minutes prior to the Ducks game. They had no choice but to go with Boll.

DuckDude

Mar 16, 2017
Are we better without last line change? Seeing Silfverberg put up these goals makes me think using his line exclusively in a shut down is a mistake. Our offense struggles at home and flourishes on the road this postseason.

Imo, we need to be throwing different lines at Mcdavid. Let him see Kesler, Thompson, and Getzlaf all game instead of just Kesler. And plus, a lot of our offense comes from that Cogs and Silver line. We need to put them in scoring opportunities as well.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Are we better without last line change? Seeing Silfverberg put up these goals makes me think using his line exclusively in a shut down is a mistake. Our offense struggles at home and flourishes on the road this postseason.

Imo, we need to be throwing different lines at Mcdavid. Let him see Kesler, Thompson, and Getzlaf all game instead of just Kesler. And plus, a lot of our offense comes from that Cogs and Silver line. We need to put them in scoring opportunities as well.

I really don't see a point in matching up against him forwards wise, I think the defenseman are more important against him. With Kesler, you have that constant agitator who swarms him, however with Getzlaf you force McDavid to play against a far superior and stronger puck possession player that makes him work much harder defensively.

Oct 18, 2011
As long as Kesler or Getzlaf are on the ice against McDavid I'll take it. The matchup you really want is Getzlaf vs Desharnais in the Oilers end if you can get it

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Honestly I wish we'd focus more on just getting Kesler against him, and have him shadow him like he did in game 1. McDavid did nothing in game 1, and that's because Kesler never left his side.

DuckDude

Mar 16, 2017
Honestly I wish we'd focus more on just getting Kesler against him, and have him shadow him like he did in game 1. McDavid did nothing in game 1, and that's because Kesler never left his side.

Then lets go Cogs Kesler Wags if were going to make it a defense only line. And put Silfverberg on the top line with Getzy.

We need to maximize our best goal scorers opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad